Mothering Forum banner

Will anyone be cloth daipering their newborn?

2K views 47 replies 41 participants last post by  Finding Serenity 
#1 ·
If you are, what diapers will you be using for the first 3-6 months. I'm thinking of getting some fitted with covers and some AIO's. I will also have indian prefolds with nappis. I will get some premiee and infants.

#2 ·
Cloth diapers all the way! I am also debating just what to start with. Prefolds for sure, but also looking at a few fitted. The MDC cloth diaper forum is a great resource.

Also planning on using cloth diaper wipes...which grosses out my sis-in-law! She's a great gal, and very open minded, so supportive of my choices even if they aren't the things she would/did choose for her family.

#3 ·
We will! I'll probably use some of every type. I never used prefolds with ds, so that will be new, but I'm buying tons of different types of fitteds, AIOs, and pockets.

#5 ·
We'll be using cloth from birth with this one, we didn't start till 3 weeks or so with DS. I am going to have a bunch of prefitteds made by Tammy of TinkleTraps, and I also have all of DS' old diapers, though there aren't a ton since he was in mediums by 2 months old. I have some wool bought/being made now. I'm also thinking about a few kissaluv 0s to round out my selection, with those and the Tinkle Traps I should be more or less set. I have a bunch of Baby Behinds one sizes for night time, and a bunch of small fuzzibunz for going out in, though I may end up buying a few dream-eze smalls as well, since I prefer them to the fuzzibunz.

#7 ·
wow, hearing all these options almost makes me feel like i'm living in the dark ages! we just use the bummis diapering kit (comes with 3 dozen prefolds and 6 covers for size small). we used them with dd from newborn until ~18 lbs. we also use baby wash cloths as wipes and just throw them in with the diapers for washing.

#8 ·
we are. I didn't start Cy with cloth until he was in mediums, so I have tried to build up a little bit of a stash since then. I have some fitted one-size, and some newborn and small covers. We have a lot of prefolds, and some soakers. I am planning on making some longies too once we find out if Zoomer's name needs to be switched to Ivy (what cy has named the baby depending on gender).

#9 ·
I am, but tbh, I have no idea what kind of diapers I have. My very good friend gave me a few dozen diapers and said that they matched me perfectly

They are the kinds shaped like sposies with various and sundry snaps. She's promised to come over and help me figure it all out. Some day when her six and my seven are relatively calm, weather is nice and we can relax.

#10 ·
We are definately cloth dipering. We try to do it already at the beginning but I'm allowing us to have so slack in there too if we are too tired.

This fall I'm teking a class of three night of sewing cloth dipers. Can't hardly wait for it.

I think we will use PUL covers, folded nappies/clothes (don't know the proper term) http://www.babyidea.fi/kestovaipoista/taittelu.html
and some dry sheet agains the skin. I'm also intrigued with Bun Genius and other dipers which would fit through out whole nappy age.

#12 ·
we will be CDing! Last time we used Kissaluv 0's and bummis super whisper wraps...this time we will be opting for an assortment of fitteds (I've already bought some nanipoos and mutts and I think I am going some for the love of fluff) and recycled longies.....we'll see though, as I just started using prefolds on my 20mo and really like them!

#13 ·
I haven't decided yet! We tried CDing from the beginning with DS. The funny thing is I had a real problem with how big his butt was! Maybe it was post-parum nonsense, but it bugged me. The diaper pail smell bothered me some.

Also, we had some fitteds and a lot of prefolds and covers. I didn't like prefolds and covers, especially at 2am.

So, if we do it again, I think I'm going to mostly do pockets and probably not start immediately. Let the hormones and chaos die down a little first. I think I'm more likely to CD with a girl because fluffy butts under dresses are cuter than big butts under jeans.

#14 ·
We're definitely CDing (ther's no way I'm buying sposies for 2!!), but I have no idea what we'll use. I'm thinking mostly prefolds and covers with some AIO (or AI2) mixed in for hubby to use. I'm just going to get a mish mash so I can find out just what I'll like since this is my first time.

#15 ·
This will be baby#4 that we CD. I started with DD#1 when she was 6 months old and have been going at it ever since. I mainly use prefolds, a snappi, and a wrap but do have some fitteds and a few Fuzzy Buns. I just like the ease of a prefold and that they dry so quickly either in the dryer or on the line.

#16 ·
YEs, we'll be CD'ing and I'll have two in dipes...eeek!

We like to KISS, keep it simple sisters! Prefolds and cotton fitteds with wool covers and a few bummis covers thrown in.

I have a bunch of fancy dipes with our first and I found them to be too finicky to be pooped on! I just had to simplify our system with #2 and again for this one!

#17 ·
definitely planning on using cloth when we are at home. i really need to start looking into it more... i know that i will be using the AIOs and pocket types, though i'm not sure which brands... don't want to deal with covers and pins and stuff.

for when we're out of the house, i'll do disposables. same as for me... when i'm home, it's cloth pads all the way, but when i'm out and about i don't really want to tote messy stuff around

since we'll be using cloth @ home, i really want to get a better washer/dryer also... mine work fine, but are older and probably pretty inefficient.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaClaire View Post
Yup. We also do elimination communication, so I'll probably do prefolds with a prefold belt (no cover) at home and then fitteds with wool and BabySoftWraps when out and about.

There are sooooooo many choices these days!
MaClaire, I'm planning on ECing this one from birth also. This one is not planned and I donated all of my baby stuff from my first two children, saving only a few sentimental items for quilting. So I've got to prepare for this one as if s/he was the first instead of the third. It doesn't make sense to get the same quantity and styles of covers/diapers that I got in preparing for DS since I will EC this one from birth. I asked what I need on the EC board and got one response. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=955605
I would appreciate your input on needed supplies, either here or on the other thread.

#21 ·
We have CDed both of our kids and will with this one too. With our first, we did cloth and home and disposables away from home, but DD has such sensitive skin and the disposables gave her the worst rash, so we exclusively CDed after that.

With DS we exclusively CDed- except for one trip when he was two years old where I took the kids on a cross country train trip. I bought him pull ups with the cartoon character Lightening McQueen on them. About three hours into the trip he announced- I don't like these Lightening McQueen diapers, they make my penis itch!
I though everyone on the Amtrak was going to die laughing. Luckily I packed the cloth in the checked luggage and we were able to switch to those when we arrived at our destination.

Thinking that DS was our last child, I gave away all our diapers and covers (except a few that I hand knit) to other families and to Miracle Diapers. We had pre-folds. I am not sure what we will get this time. My guess is probably the same because we know it, and it's the least expensive. But I am intrigued by some other CD systems that I have seen.

#22 ·
I think I will CD again with this baby. I have to see what I have left from my other boys. I used proraps and prefolds mostly with my first and with my second I used some pocket diapers in the beginning, too. I sold a lot of them after ds2, because I didn't think I'd be having any more children. Then I changed my mind! It seems a bit overwhelming to start with cloth diapers again when I'm also worrying about kindergarten and preschool for my other two. Plus my dh is not particularly supportive. We shall see.

#24 ·
So far I have a bunch onf imse vimse contours (I got 12 for $1 each during their clearance!) and 36 NB prefolds coming from a co-op. I plan on usig them till she outgrows them then they will be burp rags, so no waste there. My DD1 is still pretty small so most of her stuff should fit #2 by about 15 lbs (about 6 months?) I also got 10 pocket change smalls comming this week. i still need a few covers in the NB/ small sizes, but i am mostly set! Very excited. i just hope this one doesn't grow super fast or something. DD is still in meds in everything so I have never needed to get any larges and really don't want to this time wither.

#25 ·
we'll do prefolds and covers. we have cloth diapered our other two exclusively and plan to with these twins as well. we just found a diaper service in the area and are starting this week. hopefully that goes well.
:

#26 ·
I will use premie prefolds (trifold one for the first few days and than stack two trifolded for the next month or so) then we will move on to infant prefolds. I love thirsties covers, but the newborn covers with the umbilical cutout are great for the beginning, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.