High risk support thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if there is anyone else here dealing with a potentially complicated pregnancy?

Mom to Kira March 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Well sort of. I'm categorized as high risk since I'm carrying twins. I also got check for gestational diabetes last week. Should have the results back in a day or two.

What are you "in for".

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM

I'm not considered high risk, but I am being monitored for low blood platelets. If they continue dropping I may have to start seeing a hematologist. I also do have a history of both miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy, though my midwives weren't concerned as much about those, as they would have likely revealed themselves long before now.

What's happening with you?

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
Old 09-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Hmm, not sure if I qualify as high risk or not but I did lose my last pregnancy at 14 weeks, I am 39 years old and I had gestational diabetes (insulin-dependent) during my last pregnancy.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 PM

I'm high risk, I have had 3 m/c (4 if you include the twin during this one) and because I had twins and lost one but it is still in there it increases my risks of losing Baby A too, however I probably won't be high risk the entire time, once baby B gets absorbed and almost disappears, I have a feeling I will just be a normal pregnant woman again (which I am very excited about)

*Aly* Proud ARMY Wife and SAHM to our IVF miracle London Michael 2/28/09 We are so in love! We beat infertility once, lets see if we can do it again. TTC #2!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM

I'm high risk. I have a genetic blood disorder that can cause m/c,stillbirth,growth problems with baby and blood clots in mom and placenta etc. the blood disorder killed my grandfather and almost killed my sister when a clot went to her lungs luckily she made it through that . Its even more dangerous for a pregnant woman. i give myself injections in the stomach with a blood thinner every day, in the end I will need nsts etc and I am monitored very close. I also see an ob and will see a perinatologist a couple times during this. we take no chances with this.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM

My doc doesn't consider me high risk, but then again.. I think he was saying that to ease my mind a bit. My first child had a heart defect and was born early due to PPROM. He passed away when he was 3 1/2 days old. My next two pregnancies ended in miscarriages. This pregnancy I started out on progesterone, metformin, extra folic acid, baby aspirin, and a prenatal vitamin. Now I'm on everything but the progesterone. Doc will be watching me for gestational diabetes since I had that with my first pregnancy. At week 22 I'll have a fetal echo cardiogram to check and see if this baby will have a heart defect since apparently I'm at increased risk because of our first having one. Starting at week 30 I'll have weekly non-stress tests and biophyisical profiles. My doc didn't say why, but I'd say they only do that in higher risk situations, dontcha think?
Oh.. and I'm attempting a VBAC.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 PM

I am not technically high risk but my doctor is a high risk doctor. I lost my first baby at sixteen weeks. With, my dd, I had a complete placental abruption. I have a risk of it happening again. So far I've bled and cramped with this pregnancy. After dd, I had an early miscarriage.
A support group is a great idea.

:Mama to 2 :
Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 PM

I'll join you.

With ds, I had PPROM @ 20 weeks and had ds via c-section @ 30 weeks b/c the placenta started to abrupt (which is a "side effect" of PPROM). PPROM that early is bad, bad, bad b/c you are still so far from viability.

I am seeing a MW this time and planning for an uneventful pregnancy (God willing), but seeing a back-up OB on the side. I want to be able to get steriod shots should something happen without jumping through hoops and finding a doc.

Now that I'm approaching the time when it all went bad with ds, I find myself getting very apprehensive and having nightmares.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 PM

I have the biophysical profiles as well

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM

I'll join this thread. I for some reason have not been able to carry a baby full term. DS1 came at 33w1d, for reasons unknown. Turned out he was relatively healthy for that age, and only spent 3 1/2 weeks in the NICU. SO, with DS2 I had Progesterone injections every week beginning at 17 weeks and he STILL came at 36 weeks...emergency c-section, though. So, we're once again being cautious and watching for pre-term labor. I'll be starting the injections again soon. Can't I just for once go full term???

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::
Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM

ladies peeking in from december to share that hypnobabies has a cd called "baby stay in" for women at risk of early delivery. ive heard great things about it. here is the link -
http://www.hypnobabies.com/store/sho...&cid=4&start=0
Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any one thing wrong, its the cumulative issues.
1) I have no thryoid. This isn't a huge deal, but it adds to the drama.
2) I had a fibroid removed from within my uterine wall in March 2008.
3) I have chronic hypertension.

The way the surgeon wrote the surgical report means its basically impossible for me to find a care provider to do a vaginal delivery. Even though its not 100% clear its not safe, the surgeon just stated things oddly. But that isn't the big deal at the moment because I'm planning to move soon and I'm going to work that out with my final provider (which will probably mean a c-section, just want someone to actually read the whole darn report before we decide).

My blood pressure spiked last week. This is mostly white coat hypertension, but it was a little high at home as well, just not nearly as bad. Responded immediately to an increase in my medication and I'm now having to test often because its at risk of going too low. We did the 24 hour urine collection and tons of bloodwork. Everything is fine except the protein in my urine. Not crazy high, but not trivial.

So now we get to worry about toxemia, IUGR, and all sorts of scary things the docs are convinced will go wrong.

Mom to Kira March 2009
Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 AM

I am a possible high risker I am also a PROM queen I PROMed at 21 weeks but not a full rupture. I leaked from 21 weeks to 35.5 when they induced me That was my 4th baby~ My 5th was a Medwife delivery & she was not a good idea for me~ She did not take the PROM seriously & I started leaking again but since my life was crazy I refused to acknowledge it I had told me OB with my 4th that I thought I was leaking fluid. My 5th was a dry birth & by far my most painful(I think I had been leaking about 2 weeks-looking back at the signs).

With this my 5th PG I am having some arrythmia issues. So it will all depend on wha the Cardiologist tells me

I have been seeing a OB in Jackson that I like but I want to be in a bigger city if there are going to be problems. I live 1.5 hours from Nashville & 1 hour from Jackson(much smaller city).

Melissa
Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 AM

For so many reasons....yep.

chronic rheumatoid arthritis
heart valve scarring
previous c-section
three late term miscarriages.

My biggest concern is the miscarriages, all between 16 and 18 weeks, and due to incompetent cervix (although now the thinking might be irritable uterus, and I'm on progesterone) My csection was the first and I've proven that the scar is tough. I've learned how to labor without pushing so that my heart isn't strained, and my arthritis is actually well managed with supplements. SO....

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm technically "higher risk" since I'm carrying twins, but luckily my Dr is treating me like it's any other pregnancy.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM

I'm considered high risk.

I have insulin resistance which started out causing problems with hypoglycemia earlier in this pg. (Blood sugar was only 28 which is in the seizure/coma range!) I will likely the opposite issue in the next month or two with my blood sugar going higher than it should. I didn't have GD in my other pgs technically but my OB things I may have but since I have reactive hypoglycemia as a result of my insulin resistance, it could be enough to make my numbers on glucose tests in the passing range, despite actually having it. The RE mentioned I needed to see a high risk OB a couple times during third trimester due to my insulin issues. (My daughter was 11lb 4oz and had the chest pudge of a diabetic baby and also had low blood sugar at birth. My 10lb 8oz son didn't have any signs of me having possible blood sugar issues).

I also have a clotting disorder, Factor V Leiden. I need to talk to my dr more about this. My mum said the normal protocol is to go on injections of lovenox/heparin in 2nd tri where she lives, but my dr hasn't said anything about it yet. I do know the risks are greatest to me in the 6 weeks post-partum of me getting a life-threatening blood clot so I definately want the lovenox/heparin then. I am still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do during pg since no one seems to know and protocol seems to change from dr to dr. (And I had no issues with clotting with my other two kids so I'm not demanding right now!) If I go on lovenox/heparin, I'll need very frequent monitoring.

I have had 5 first trimester miscarriages but they think that's due to the insulin issues. So the miscarriages don't put me at high risk since I'm out of first trimester, but the insulin issues do.

My RE said she suggested that I get this baby out ASAP - that I have an amnio done at 38 weeks and have the c-section then. (I have to have a repeat c-section anyways). My two healthy kids were born at 41 and 42 weeks so I'm a bit nervous about going so "early." I'm playing it by ear, seeing what happens with my blood sugar and fetal monitoring as we go along. (Hence why I say I'm due in Feb/March. I'm due March 5 but I'm 99.9% sure there will be an eviction by the end of Feb).
Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollycat View Post
ladies peeking in from december to share that hypnobabies has a cd called "baby stay in" for women at risk of early delivery. ive heard great things about it. here is the link -
http://www.hypnobabies.com/store/sho...&cid=4&start=0
Have you or anyone you known used this successfully? Just curious if it's acutally worth the 17 bucks. TIA

married to the love of my life : and mamma to 3 amazing kids DS1 DS2 : and DD , ::

User Tag List