Name Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't know the sex but have decided to find out (probably at my u/s on Sep. 29). But in the meantime, I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1) DH loves the name Oliver. I like it too, and especially its meaning, but I am concerned about the nickname Ollie. Do you think Olivers are bound to be called Ollie or could we avoid that?

2) We are liking the name Soren for a girl. I know it's a male name but we like the way it sounds. What do you think -- too masculine? Keep in mind that we do have another DD named Grahame, so we aren't drawn to the feminine, prettyish names.

Thanks for any and all input!!
#2 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM

I love the name Soren for a girl. This is going to sound super corny, but our cat (yes CAT --- see the corny part of this?) Tabitha's middle name is Soren because DH decided that's what her middle name will be.
I think it sounds like a girly name more than a masculine one.

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#3 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oliver is great. Soren sounds boy-ish to me, so I wouldn't do it.
#4 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM

I think if you call him Oliver, so will everyone else. It's short enough on it's own, and not too "grown up" that people will want to shorten it.

How do you pronounce Soren? Is it Sore-EN, or SORE-en, or something else?

It reminds me of my university, as it was founded by Fr. Sorin, so I think it's odd, but I don't even know how to say it, so I don't think I should get a vote on its femininity.

Homebirthing mama of 2
#5 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the feedback! I love that there is a kitty out there with this middle name!

DomerJen, we pronounce it Sore-en, rhymes with Lauren.
#6 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 04:40 PM

I like Oliver, but I also like Ollie. I'm not sure how I feel about Soren. It's a nice simple name (not going to be misprounounced much), but a bit too masculine (for me), I think.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#7 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM

I like the name Soren, but I don't love the spelling. Have you tried alternatives? I like Sauren, but I also picture Soryn, Sauryn, Soaren, Soaryn I think I like taking the word "sore" out of there there.
#8 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 05:03 PM

i don't think an oliver will be called ollie necessarily - i think it's a nice name, go for it!

i like soren also. don't think it's particularly masculine-sounding. i think it's a cool, androgynous kind of name!
#9 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM

I have he issues with peoples opinions about my kids names. If you like it then I say who cares what other people think! My youngest is named Iceland we kept it a secret for a long time because I didn't want anyone to say anything when we told my mom she HATED it but now she is fine with it.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#10 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 PM

I really like both names. I'm big on nicknames, though, so I *do* think an Oliver in my family would end up being an Ollie (which I LOVE).

I think Soren sounds completely feminine. I actually would never use it for a boy because it sounds like one of those names that will eventually migrate over to the girl side and stay there. It can be really hard to name a boy these days and find a strictly masculine name.

Wonderful names

Mama to 4.5
#11 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM

I have a boy Soren. I've heard for it being used for girls, but I cringe because girls have soooo many names, and there are so many fewer for boys. (Really, look at the numbers of children with each name in the top 1000. More boys have the same names than girls). Girls can also use boys' names, but it's still taboo for boys to use any name that is common for girls (i.e. Ashley, Loren, Kelly, Lesley, etc.) Save the poor boys' names for the boys.

That said, the name Soren is becoming more popular. In 2002, when I was first pregnant it wasn't on the top 1000. Since then, it's been fairly shooting up the list. It's up to 746 now. What that means is that it's becoming more common as a boys' name. So, it might be more confusing as a girls' name than it once was. Also, it's used here and there in a lot of science fiction stories/movies. It's not always spelled the same way, but the characters do always seem to be male. This may not matter to you, but it might make things more confusing if the trend continues.

It's also quite popular still in Denmark, Germany, and Scandinavian countries.

Technically, it's pronounced more like Zur-en' with the emphasis kind of more on the -en. In English, it's Sor-en, but we say it with some emphasis on the -en, still. Mine was named after Soren Kierkegaard, which if you're going to use it, you should know.

Quote:
Tabitha's middle name is Soren because DH decided that's what her middle name will be.
You do realize that Tabitha Soren was an MTV VJ, right?
#12 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyingAnimals View Post
ISave the poor boys' names for the boys.

It's also quite popular still in Denmark, Germany, and Scandinavian countries.

Technically, it's pronounced more like Zur-en' with the emphasis kind of more on the -en. In English, it's Sor-en, but we say it with some emphasis on the -en, still. Mine was named after Soren Kierkegaard, which if you're going to use it, you should know.

I'm actually fine with boys and girls sharing names and I don't see the need to sex-segregate names. Also, I do not prefer pretty or classicly feminine names -- not sure why, I just don't like them (although I understand why others would)! Like I said, we have a DD named Grahame so the unisex thing works for us.

I am Scandinavian and yes, I know about Kierkegaard. We pronounce Soren more like Suh-ren (although it's hard to capture the Norwegian prn. in English letters). We would pronounce it like Sauren though because we prefer the sound of it, even though it is "Americanized." Thanks for your input!
#13 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM

A good friend just had a boy named Soren, so I just can't hear it as a girl's name. Then again, my son's name is Graham! I like Oliver a lot. It would be on my short list, but DP nixed it.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#14 of 22 Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 PM

I love the name Soren - I don't see it as being particularly "manly" or whatever, I think it's a nice name for any person, even though I know it has traditionally been given to boys.

SAH dissertating mama femalesling.GIF to my sweet little boy (2/2009)
and his rainbow1284.gif baby brother (7/2011)
#15 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 AM

I LOVE Oliver, and I like Ollie too. But as someone said, if you stick with Oliver, it's more likely that others will too. My dad really disliked 'Breanna' because he knew we would call her Bre...and he joked about 'why would you name your child after a cheese?" And sure enough, even though we swore we wouldn't, she became a Bre.....and sometimes even a BreBre.

I haven't heard Soren used before, so I would take it with whichever sex was presented. Names are so universal now anyway. If you love it USE IT!

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#16 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM

I've never heard Soren before, I really like it. Actually, I like it enough that it would make my short lists (boy or girl) if it sounded good in French and if I had a short list to start with.

We haven't talked about or mentioned names for the baby yet. It's complicated by the fact that it needs to work both in English and French.
#17 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM

I love the name Soren for a girl and I like Oliver too. I dont' necessarily think people woudl be calling him Ollie unless he likes it.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#18 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM

I love both names! Oliver was on our short list for DS. I think Soren would make a beautiful girl's name! We are also thinking of using a name that is usually reserved for boys if we have a girl...so, I am with you....

also, as far as Oliver/Ollie goes...what I have noticed is that the use of the full name as opposed to a nickname will be followed by others while the child is younger, but I have noticed (just in the past year or so) that now that my nephews are a bit older (7yo and 9yo), their friends at school are calling them by nicknames that no one uses at home...(for instance Andrew is ALWAYS Andrew at home and with family/family friends...but his friends have started calling him Andy...which is just strange to us

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#19 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyingAnimals View Post

You do realize that Tabitha Soren was an MTV VJ, right?
yeah, I realized that after my hubby started calling our cat that. I'm guessing she was an obsession of his in his teen years if he named our cat after her. LOL

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#20 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 PM

I like both names.

I do think it will be hard not to have people call an Oliver by Ollie. People like to make kids names into diminutives- and I can't think of an alternate to Oliver. If you really don't like Ollie, you should probably choose something else.

My DD's name is Gillian. DH specifically does not like people calling her Jill. It's one of the reasons why we went with the traditional G spelling, instead of the americanized J spelling. Of course, in the UK people call women named Gillian by the name "Jill" even though it is spelled Gill, quite commonly- but in the US it hasn't been very common. I thought that Gillian would also not have a diminutive, but friends and family members do call her Gilly all the time- and she doesn't seem to mind.

My DS' name is Berkeley and there is no diminutive for it. He can be called Berke if he likes and sometimes people do. He has picked up a family nickname, but almost everyone calls him just Berkeley.

I am hoping to choose a name for this baby that does not have a diminutive. We'll see...
#21 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Where have I been?! I have never even HEARD of the name Soren. I love it and think it's great for a girl (or boy). Just my 2 cents.

treehugger.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsurf.gif

#22 of 22 Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Soren is actually high on my shortlist for both boys and girls. I love it, though I worry it's going to become too popular for my taste ;-) Another similar name I really like for both sexes is Rowan, which has a similar feel to me. Rowan is on the rise in popularity too- #450 in the US for girls, and #366 for boys.

I've been a little bit obsessed with names and naming for the last few years. My favorite site is the Baby Name Wizard, which lets you look at the frequency of different names and portions of names over the past 100+ years: http://www.babynamewizard.com. The author of that site also runs an excellent blog on naming: http://www.babynamewizard.com/blog

I'm particularly fascinated by how, seemingly out of nowhere, certain names and naming sounds will become popular. Sometimes you can find a clear link to a celebrity name or something like that. But not usually. How to explain the explosion of names for boys that end in 'n'? They now account for 30% of all boys born in the US. And of course, I love the sound too I started thinking about the name Aden for a boy a number of years ago, long before Aiden/Aden/etc became one of the most popular names around! Weird.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page