Do Hormones Make You More Paranoid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel really dumb for posting this, but I'm at somewhat of a wit's end and not quite sure what to do.
Since I hit my 2nd trimester, I haven't gotten bad mood swings or random crying fits. Instead, I've gotten really, really paranoid and have had bad panic attacks. I am fully aware that it's irrational what I'm feeling, but at the same time, when it happens, I can't seem to take a step back and realize how silly the thought is. I've been trying to control it for a month and a half now and it's becoming impossible and my SO has given me the ultimatum that I either get help or he's leaving.

I'm not an irrational person typically. Even now, I don't have thoughts about killing anything. And no, I don't hear voices. I just have this feeling that everyone hates me and I have to constantly be in a "fight or flight"-state of mind. I don't understand what's making me feel this way, and I don't like like it. I want to get help (the last thing I want to do is make my SO's life miserable right now and make him leave), but I am deathly afraid that if I even mention it to anyone in the medical field, they'll call Social Services and take away my baby when she's born because they'll deem me crazy.

I'm sorry if this sounds silly or immature to people, I'm just at a loss. What should I do?

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#2 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM

It is VERY normal, to have feelings like that when pregnant. I would really suggest mentioning it to your OB or primary care physician.

How's your diet? Are you taking prenatals or any other supplements? This is important to address NOW because you don't know where it will go after the baby is born when usual postpartum issues start.

Wish your SO was a little more supportive, but I understand he's probably scared too. Ask him to be supportive,and let him know that you're going to talk to your professional. In fact, call the OB right now and say that you'd like to see them asap for emotional problems.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#3 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Deffinatly talk to your OB. Even though you might not want to you may need something in the way of anti depressents to help you out. They are not going to call DHS on you because you are paranoid! If that were the case I would have no children at this point. At around month 3 I was having a REALLY hard time sleeping. I got so paranoid that my 1 year old was going to go down for his nap and not wake up that I sat and held him and cryed to my DH on the phone that I just couldn't lay him down because he wasn't going to wake up. My son was so tiered and my husband finaly convenced me it would be ok. I called my Dr IMEDIATLY. I am not a crazy person but hormons are tough.

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#4 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

To answer questions - I've been meticulously taking my prenatals with fish oil since I found out I was pregnant.

I would prefer to try other options before taking medications. I would hope(?) my MW would be able to suggest something other than a pill to try initially?

My SO has been supportive. It's been me all along. He tries to help, but when I'm in a "mood", I interpret everything he says as a hint that he hates me. Frankly, I don't blame him for wanting to leave, I'd want to leave, too!

Wife to Phil, Mom to Saoirse (3/09), and Niamh (1/12)  waterbirth.jpg.crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been getting these feelings too. The smallest thing will scare me (like to death) I will think that things are going to happen. I am seeing the MW tomorrow I will be sure to say something to her.

Hope things get better for you!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#6 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 PM

I'm sorry you feel this way. Maybe we can help you work through some of your fears/paranoia? Pregnancy is definitely a difficult time, many unknowns...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#7 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Hormones do the craziest things to our bodies. Depression and anxiety can creep up during pregnancy and after. Don't worry about talking to your doctor. They will not take your baby away! They will simply make sure you are feeling okay! Seeing a psychologist or counselor could help you learn to deal with the feelings that are new. I deal with anxiety on a regular basis, but it is different when I'm pregnant and postpartum. The stressors are different. You definitely need to take care of yourself! Good luck!
#8 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 PM

I have been feeling this way too. Sadly I get panic attacks and bouts of paranoia when I am not pregnant, so I have methods of coping.

Here is what I do:
I give myself cool off time, usually a day. I try to to let myself think about what is making me mad (though I usually lay awake at night), until day later and see if it still bothers me (if it still seems out of line). A lot of times I talk to my mom or friends and see if they think I am over reacting.Finally, after my cool off phase, if there really was a problem that needed to be dealt with I usually confront it.

You should also try yoga or maybe even hypno birthing. When your mind starts spiraling out of control stop it, tell yourself that this is small potatoes, you have a lot of great things in your life, think about those things, try to phase out the other things.

I think it is easy to get caught up in drama and feelings. I think if you tell yourself over and over again that this is not the way you want to feel about something eventually you start to beleive it.

That is just my method
#9 of 11 Old 10-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Firstly

Postpartum depression, which I have first hand experience with, can take on a a paranoia/anxiety bent. Not as commonly known, PPD can also start during pregnancy.

Hopefully your MW can help with supplements, but I strongly encourage you to look up a PPD group in your area and get extra support now.

With planning and attention, PPD can be less severe, especially when you expand your support network. Your SO is trying to help, but there is no way he can be the only person you rely on. It's way too much for one couple to deal with alone.

I also like what Sonitaw suggested as what works for her.

I hope that helps (and doesn't make you feel bad.)

Julia
#10 of 11 Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 AM

I have been having issues with anxiety a lot during this pregnancy.

I think it's normal d/t hormones, etc. I do plan on discussing it with my OB.
#11 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM

I too have anxiety issues. I feel that I manage and there isn't panic attacs. I fear that my husband will be killed in car accident, our house got's in fire, there will a burgelar especially when I'm alone, fear of dark (I sleep a little lamp on) and supernatural. I have had these fears before but now they are feeling stronger.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page