Kefir Grains and Kombucha Scobies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 485 Old 09-08-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is for people seeking kefir grains and/or kombucha scobies. Please post if you have milk and/or water grains available and your location so those looking can get it locally where possible and update your post periodically based on your grain availability.

Note: if you're looking for grains or a scoby, you will have better luck sending a private message to a momma offering grains or scobies rather than requesting them in this thread.

Currently available: Water kefir grains. (I also have milk kefir grains and kombucha scobies but am out and need to grow them a bit.)
Shipping and Handling: I am not comfortable with mailing right now but my grains and scobies are free of charge for pickup

Notes:
My milk grains are brewed in whole grassfed milk, and are brewed from time to time in heavy cream and coconut milk. My scobies are grown in black tea (PG tips from Britain), organic refined sugar and spring water and are 10 inches in diameter so may require cutting to fit in your brew container. I use spring water, sucanat, and various fruits with my water kefir grains.
#2 of 485 Old 09-09-2006, 04:55 PM

Currently available: milk kefir grains and kombucha scobies
Shipping and Handling: It's not that easy for me to get to the Post Office (but will make exceptions, time permitting!). My grains and scobies are free of charge for pickup.
Notes: My grains are brewed in different kinds of milk, either whole organic milk or raw. My scobies are brewed in green tea and refined sugar and are 7 inches (?) in diameter so may require cutting to fit in your brew container.
#3 of 485 Old 09-11-2006, 01:44 PM

No longer shipping grains/SCOBY for the moment.

Baby keeping me toooooooo busy (plus 3/5 year olds) and other personal stuff going on in my immediate family that I'm helping with.

Will update as I can.
#4 of 485 Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM

UPDATE: I am not sending out grains at this time. We had a nasty tummy bug going around in our household, we are all fine now but I'm still not comfortable sending grains out until I feel more confident that our kefir isn't harboring something funky!

Dairy kefir grains. My kefir is brewed in Straus whole organic non-homogenized milk. http://www.strausmilk.com/

Shipping and Handling: If you are local you are welcome to come pick some up for free. We are easily accessible from freeways and by public transportation. Otherwise, I ship priority mail. I ask $4.50 funded paypal (I cannot accept CC paypal) to cover shipping/handling. I will not ship to Canada at this time.
#5 of 485 Old 09-25-2006, 03:53 PM

I killed my scoby. Oops.

So no more til I get organized enough to get another!
#6 of 485 Old 10-05-2006, 02:15 AM

Hello, I am new to this site. My friend referred me. I love it! I've been making kefir for some time. I recentley tried fermenting grape juice w/ my dairy kefir grain and it worked for a while and then the grain began to mold. I understand that I may need a different type of grain to do this? Will your water grain work for that or do I have to use sugar? My family doesn't eat sugar so it feel odd adding that to our diet. I'd love some more info and I may be interested in purchasing one from you. Thank you very much.
Petra (aka Czechbutterfly)
#7 of 485 Old 10-08-2006, 02:09 PM
*Di

Hi -
I just found this forums website and it looks great and very helpful ! I want to start making kombucha but in a few weeks (I still have to receive my heating panel and big jars)... do you think you will have mushrooms available to buy in after a few weeks ? Thank you, Diane
#8 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM

I have some baby kefir grains that I'm nurturing and would be happy to share. I'm not able to mail them, but anybody local is welcome to contact me! They are being grown in almost organic, whole/nonhomogenized cow's milk.

I'm in the TriCities region of NE Tennessee/SW Virginia.

Petra, I think there is a special type of grain for the grape juice. I saw some on ebay once.

For all things kefir, go to Dom's site....he has great info on there.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Leon - 8.15.07 and Silas - 4.19.09. Happy for sun and garden season again!
#9 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 01:16 PM

We were out of town for nearly three weeks, and none of my cultures survived. As soon as I can get some new kefir graind and a scoby and get them growing again, I'll update.
#10 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM

man..how do you get them to grow that fast...mine grow but very little...
#11 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl View Post
man..how do you get them to grow that fast...mine grow but very little...
Sucanat/rapadura, some molasses, and a shot of juice and HOLY COW!!!!!

(Heather's advice btw)

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#12 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 05:28 PM

cool...will have to try that..I don't really like the flavor of those sugars but will try it..lol
#13 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Just to get them going! You can add a small amount of the liquid to juice to carbonate it and the flvours will be hardly noticed!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#14 of 485 Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM

I am hoping this is the rrightplace to ask this question ( sorry of not but is it true that you can grow a scoby from store bought raw kombucha?

And also, what does water kefir taste like? I grew up on milk kefir and like it but DH and both dd's wont drink it...

Thanks

Tanya
#15 of 485 Old 10-10-2006, 01:12 PM

I think they made this a sticky thread for moms with grains/SCOBY to share for easy finding. Then you can update and folks can see whats available...but hey, it's a good spot for some questions about specifics too I guess (I'm not the OP, so /shrug)....

But yes, to super charge your water kefir grains...give them some Rapadura/Succanant and or a shot of molasses in that water. Some fresh squeezed juice will also help. If the grains are even barely alive, it's like a vitamin booster shot and they will take off.

You can use this to 'super charge them' between your favorite sugar/fruit brews too...I swear, I have half a jar of grains now, and I'm going to have to put them on a sugar diet, as they are reproducing like bunnies!

And for the other question, yes, you can grow your own SCOBY from a good quality, unflavored or messed with, store bought Kombucha, if you are careful and give it time. There was a thread recently in NT about doing this....search on 'growing your own SCOBY' or something like that. You want to find a bottle that fairly fresh, and that hopefully has a bit of a 'SCOBY' looking chunk growing in it for best results!

Here is the link. I gave directions about half way down the first page: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...your+own+SCOBY
#16 of 485 Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 AM

My water kefir grains are exploding. Anyone need any? PM me.

Taking a hiatus. Grains reproducing very slowly in my cold kitchen.
#17 of 485 Old 10-11-2006, 02:36 PM

belle harbor, I tried to send you a PM, but the system won't let me, nor email.
#18 of 485 Old 10-11-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi mommas!
Looking for dairy kefir grains. Live in Central MO, so I could even pick them up if there's someone nearby. Or, I could send funds to have them mailed to me.

What do you say? Hook me up with some 'pets'? :
#19 of 485 Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM

I have kombucha scoby's for anyone who lives around Redmond, WA that would like to pick them up. They're made with organic black and green teas and regular white sugar. I would like kefir grains if anyone has them around this area.
Thanks!
-Beth
#20 of 485 Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 PM

I need scoby, mamas I live in the S.F Bay Area, and can pay shipping!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#21 of 485 Old 10-12-2006, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think they made this a sticky thread for moms with grains/SCOBY to share for easy finding. Then you can update and folks can see whats available...but hey, it's a good spot for some questions about specifics too I guess (I'm not the OP, so /shrug)....
I think this thread is fine for discussions too!

BTW, my water kefir grains are also going nuts. I know I read kefir grains can double every time, but based on Heather's recommendations to use sucanat, mine have been tripling or more every batch. My last batch, I used 2 tbsp of grains in 64 oz of liquid with sucanat and agave nectar, ginger, and lemon. I ended up with almost 1 cup of grains! Granted, I did leave it for 3 days, but still!

I experimented with grains in 100% grape juice as I read here at MDC on another thread. We ended up with something that tastes a lot like red wine. It was yummy! And even though it's only supposed to be 2 to 3% alcohol, I was pretty woozy after a small glass. But then again, I'm a lightweight and can get drunk on 1 inch of wine.
#22 of 485 Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 PM

wow..I haven't ever gotten my grains to grow like that...I wonder what I am doing wrong....They have grown a little..I know have two jars instead of 1..lol I have had them for weeks..
#23 of 485 Old 10-13-2006, 01:58 PM

Maybe I am confused, but I didn't think you were suppossed to put sugars in your kefir while it was brewing?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#24 of 485 Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM

she is talking about water kefir, which requires sugar to grow...not the milk kefir grains.
#25 of 485 Old 10-13-2006, 09:33 PM
*Di

Hi -
I just found this forums website and it looks great and very helpful ! I want to start making kombucha but in a few weeks (I still have to receive my heating panel and big jars)... do you think you will have mushrooms available to buy in after a few weeks, Xenabyte ? I live in upstate NY, so I would pay the shipping, if you have them.

Thank you, Diane
#26 of 485 Old 10-14-2006, 12:04 AM

Di,

I have SCOBY every week. However as it gets closer to November 23, I'll be not shipping as much, waiting for my sweet little Thanksgiving Day baby to be born! I'll be getting my house ready for a homebirth and slowing down on taking orders and such, as I do more 'nesting' type chores!

I would think you are fine. PM me your info and when you want it, and I'll put you on the list. If nothing else, TONS of the moms here have 'babies' of my original SCOBY...if I should happen to deliver the baby early and be 'out of commission' when you need it!

Heather
#27 of 485 Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 AM

I'm looking for milk kefir grains. Anyone have any they could ship to FL?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#28 of 485 Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 PM

I have my water kefir brewing. Do you just drink it straight or do you add it to something?
#29 of 485 Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 PM

I have added lemon juice and coconut water (for seperate batches). Both are yummy.
#30 of 485 Old 10-21-2006, 02:27 AM

Hi allI am looking for water kefir grains. (I was going to convert milk ones but I think Xenabyte said that it could give the water kefir an off flavor.)

I am in NorCal
Please PM me if you have some!
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page