"Has he had his two month checkup yet?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-25-2003, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a lady from a program called Healthy Families come every week. She helps make sure that your kids are reaching all their developmental milestones, etc. She visits once a week, and I basically signed up so that I would have some sort of adult interaction.

Anyway, she came over today and, during the course of our conversation, asked, "Has he had his two month checkup yet?"

I said that no, it was scheduled for early December.

She said, "Poor thing will get his shots!"

I know she was just making conversation, but it annoyed me that people are so brainwashed that all kids get their shots that it never occurred to her we would not vax or delay vaxes. It's not even seen as a choice (when MIL found out we weren't vaxing she said, "They have to have their shots. It's the law.")

I didn't correct her, since DH is already worried that by refusing to vax next week (we're just telling the dr that we're delaying, but we won't ever vax) we'll be on some government checklist. But it annoyed me, how flippant people's attitude towards injecting toxic chemicals into children's bodies is.

What do you say to people? Do you make your stance know, or only respond if asked? How do you handle these situations?

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#2 of 8 Old 11-25-2003, 04:18 PM

...(don't even know what that means)

but you might want to re-evaluate this (just a suggestion)

"She visits once a week, and I basically signed up so that I would have some sort of adult interaction."

I'm not sure if she might become more trouble than she's worth.

In general I'm pretty much "out there" with my anti-vax stance, but I'm wary when it comes to gov't types, especially ones who might know my address.

Be audacious when circumstances permit, but cautious with people who say "it's the law."

Exemptions are the law also, but until you have one, she's got the upper hand if she so chooses.

Honestly, my son will have no vaxes but will have a "creatively" filled out form when necessary.

This war for our children's bodies is not over yet, and as the PharmaIndustry gets pressured it will apply pressure.

Mass Vaccination: The PharmaFinal Solution,

Ray
#3 of 8 Old 11-25-2003, 04:27 PM

Sasha_girl,

Do you have exemptions written up for each of your children? Have you read this thread?

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=99532
#4 of 8 Old 11-26-2003, 01:47 AM

My Mom (who does not know we no longer vax and tha tDS is not vaxed) and a neighbor with a DD DS's age were shocked when I tested the waters by saying "I go on my own schedule, we delay some vaxes (ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)". MY Mom said "It's the law" which did not surprise me, but the neighbor, a school teacher was so intrigued when I explained that it is not "required" and that in this country legally we are said to have the right to choose for ourselves and children.

As for the check ps-smile and nod.
#5 of 8 Old 11-26-2003, 12:58 PM

Great response Hilary. I'll remember that line of reasoning when I get into that situation!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#6 of 8 Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 PM

Interesting...I'm in Canada, and all we have to say is that we are "Conscientious Objectors". I've had "the talk" so many flippin' times by doctors and the like, it makes me crazy! They've asked me in the ER (Annika had crupe) if we were "up to date" on all her shots. "No we don't vax..." *Here we go* "Well, you KNOW children still die from these diseases today..." NOOO...really?? I thought no one died, ever, of anything...I'm just a wacked out hippy mum, who doesn't want to hurt my babies with a needle. As if I just decided not to vax b/c I didn't feel like it. Gawd, it's so frustrating. While we were looking for a family doc, one that I was interviewing said that if my girls got sick from a disease, he wouldn't be able to treat them, b/c he was trained to treat VACCINATED children. What??!! : Uhhh, so if a kid got sick from a vaccine, could you treat THEM? See ya later buddy! Needless to say, I never saw him again...and we still have no family doc.
#7 of 8 Old 11-27-2003, 06:32 AM

Hilary, I love the response and will remember it.

Quote:
but the neighbor, a school teacher was so intrigued when I explained that it is not "required" and that in this country legally we are said to have the right to choose for ourselves and children.
I've experienced this, too. In fact, my father has argued with me that this is the case because his friend is a schoolteacher and told him vaccination is the law. "She should know, she's a schoolteacher." : Last I checked, teachers were not responsible for this issue, administration was.
#8 of 8 Old 11-29-2003, 10:56 PM

Hiliary great response.

-----------------------
In Canada all we have to say is that we are "Conscientious Objectors".
--------------------------

There are several states in the U.S. that allow you to say this also. worth checking your state's law

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page