FLU 2003! The fat thread. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2003, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm back w/another Q. My little guy is now just fine. ANnoyingly peppy.

My other son has chx pox. So, I always give (winter) 250mg Vit C everyday.

I "assumed" I should continue that amt when they're sick or else they'd get the runs. But, it just ocurred to me: that perhaps their bodies are burning it off rapidly and I can increase the dose. : Is this true?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM

-
Old 12-12-2003, 03:46 PM

amnesiac

Funny....huh.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:06 AM

don't take me as the last word, by all means, as much of my evidence is anecdotal and the rest 'i read somewhere...' (great footnotes, lol, but i generally *do* temper my advice according to the veracity of the source! i don't quote those i thought were full of bs to begin with!) BUT...

from everything i read (and all my experiences) influenza is not associated with vomiting, except perhaps in a peripheral way, say, like when my kids were pukey from coughing so from pertussis? that is to say when most people say 'hey, i've got the 24 hr and/or stomach flu' they have something in the way of an e.coli variant or one of those nasty food(ok, feces)bourne illnesses. but of course if you are very ill you may vomit just from general unwellness. i'd guess that's a different sort of vomity than the hurling-your-guts-out fun of 'stomach flu'. i wouldn't think there would be great confusion which illness one was suffering from, unless influenza mutates to something we are all completely unfamiliar with!

jmho and what i vaguely remember (please enlighten us further, hil- COUGH anyone who knows more precise info :P), suse
Old 12-13-2003, 04:57 AM

Celestial, DD and I had something that sounds like that back in October. Don't know what it actually was, but I called it the stomach flu, since I had flu symptoms like achiness and fever plus vomiting and diarrhea. Probably was a virus of some sort. Actually it wasn't till *I* got it that I realized DD had had a very mild form of it the week prior. She was under the weather for 2 days, had a slight fever, threw up once, had loose stools for 1.5 days, and that was that. What I got was much worse, but still only about 24 hours total of diarrhea and vomiting. I had another "stomach flu" or virus back in May and it was terrible, vomiting/diarrhea lasted several days and I was flat out for about 4-5 days. Hope yours is the "short" variety!

Carol
Old 12-13-2003, 06:24 PM

Ds' daycare is overrun by the flu. But, the Influenza type A kids don't have as much gastric as those kids who "just" have a virus. They're puking and runny but it seems the classic flu kids only have a fever. My son just had the fever but we never brought him in to get bloodwork since it wouldn't have changed anything for us.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

this thread still very active.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 12-16-2003, 12:10 AM

...you hear that Saddam Hussein was captured and your first thought is "Yay, finally the news has something to talk about besides the #*$% flu."
Old 12-18-2003, 12:01 PM

My 10 month old, 20 lb only partially bf baby is sick...how much vit c should I start givbing him ? I know up to bowel tolerance, but where should I start?
Old 12-19-2003, 03:41 AM

Justice, try buying some Hyland's brand Vitamin C tablets. They have around 35 mg of Vit. C each - they are tiny and dissolve as soon as they are in the mouth so even a baby can take them. I would start with 1 tablet and if that is tolerated, give 2. I don't think I'd give more than that per day with an infant. You might talk to your doctor about how much s/he would recommend, but that's roughly what I would give my DD when she was little. (The Hyland's do contain lactose, but my daughter, who is allergic to cow milk, has never had a problem with them, so they should be fine unless your child is very sensitive to dairy.)

Since you are breastfeeding I would recommend that you also eat foods high in Vitamin C (though not too much citrus) and also Vitamin A (found in orange things like sweet potatoes and cantaloupe). Greens like chard or kale are great sources of vitamins, too. Also eat plenty of good protein like baked chicken.

Hope the baby is better soon!

Carol
Old 12-19-2003, 07:35 PM

Gotta throw this out here, with the disclaimer that I have not checked these numbers, but here it is:

Slate.com reported that last year, drug cos made 96 million doses of flu vax, and had to destroy 13 million doses due to lack of demand. (Gee, that must have cost them $$$$.) Soooooo, this year, they only made 83 million doses.

Combine this with the media hype about the "need" to run out and get your vax, and presto--drug company's problem of oversupply is fixed!

Add to THAT, that Tommy Thompson has just requested $100 million dollars from congress to increase vaccine supplies and develop vaxes faster. According to Thompson (in "The Week") "Congress is going to be much more willing to appropriate the necessary dollars, now that there has been so much publicity."

Is ANYONE still believing that it's not about money?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Old 12-20-2003, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
That works out at 2,500 mgs which is split into several doses over the day.
I weigh 140 pounds and if I take more than 2000 mg of vit. C in a day, I have bowel problems (loose stools, gas, etc.). I can't even imagine what it might do to a baby to take more than *I* can tolerate. Are you sure you meant 2500 mg for a baby?

Carol
Old 12-20-2003, 06:16 PM

is this the flu? My dd#1 is 7 years old. she has had a cough and a stuffy/runny nose. just really snotty. Well today she wakes up and shes is sayign her stomach hurts. where then about 10-15 min later she goes to the bathroom where she has diarrhea. Then after that about a half hour or so she throws up. It seem to be ALOT of snot. I had her jump in the shower( we have no tub) and try taking in the warm mist air from the shower to help clear her out. She was in there a long time. So she gets out of the shower and she says she just doesnt feel good just feels like crap is her words. She had some chills but that could of been from the warm shower and then getting out of it. She hasnt wanted to eat very much I have gotten her to eat a few crackers. She has drank some water but not a whole glass yet. I have been trying to get her to drink but she just wants to sleep. She is sleepig right now where shes been since her shower and she says she just feels like crap. nothing hurts. But she did say her back hurt when she was out of the shower but says its fine now: She has no fever but feels warm to me. But when i took it it said normal range. 98.0 I dont want to take her to the Er ( dr isnt open) because i know there will be alot of sick people there with the "flu" and it could make her even more sick. What can I do to help her? I have some chicken noodle soup I am going to give her and we have gotten some popsicles hopeing she will take them. But right now we are letting her sleep. Oh and shes been on Elderberry Extrac for a few days. and vitamins. anythign else you reccomend? please let me know. My youngest daughter has a croupy cough and runny nose but she is running around and seems fine wants to eat etc. Thanks in advance. Christy
Old 12-20-2003, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hilary,

I'm stunned by Nursing Mother's news.

Her son was 19. It all is too much for me to comprehend.

tracy

Old 12-20-2003, 08:33 PM

My 7-year-old dd, about 55 pounds, has what's probably the flu. This is her sixth day of it. She ran a high fever earlier in the week for a couple days, then her temp was down to normal for two days, but cough/cold symptoms remained. Today her temps back up to around 100, her head hurts again. I've decided to embrace vitamin C, but I'm hesitant to cause her any other difficulties. I've been giving her 500 mg every hour for the last three hours and having her drink lots of water. I'm about ready to give her another 500 mg, bringing her daily total to 2000 mg so far today. Should I continue? Hilary, I'd sure appreciate your input.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
The same applies to Vitamin A. A healthy person should not exceed 15,000 iu's a day. But if you are seriously ill with measles, then 250,000 IU's will go through you like water.
Hilary, how do you find your vit A limit?

I thought I read that Mary Megson gives autistic kids only like the US RDA (5000iu, right?), but I assume the US RDA is way under what we need, right? It just didn't seem like much to me.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:00 PM

I was looking up the deaths of babies, young children (under 4) on Yahoo this morning.

This is slightly T but someone on another thread mentioned that perhaps giving the Pneumococcal would help fight pneumonia... and therefore it would help kids with the Flu.

We opted against this vax back in 2000 (the first year it was offered - it was too new) and I don't regret it.

Since many well-meaning, new and nervous parents probably jumped at the chance to give this vax, this is a very "popular" vax. Voluntary use is pretty high, and the CDC is recently temporarily revised its recommendations to urge that only high risk groups of children should receive all four doses of the vaccine. (NVIC.org website.)

Interesting to note the following:
12/11 Better Awareness of Meningitis Vaccine Urged
Quote:
Still, only 2,200 to 3,000 cases of meningococcal meningitis occur in the U.S. each year, about 10 percent of which are fatal. For this and other reasons, including the fact that the vaccine is largely ineffective in children younger than 2, the most at-risk group, public health officials do not recommend routine immunization. From a public health standpoint, it is not considered a cost-effective use of resources.
Anyway, I don't think Pneumococcal would prevent death by peumonica. JMO. I don't know, but since the majority of Americans vax... I'm guessing these kids got the Pneumococcal vax. The last, 4th dose, is given between 12-15 months of age.

12/19 Flu Suspected in Deaths of 2 Children, 1 Adult (7 month old boy and 3 year old girl)
Quote:
Ian (7 months old) had a flu shot, so just what went wrong is not yet clear.
The 3 year old girl who died, no mention of her Flu vax status.

12/18 Mother Says 15-Month-Old's Flu Death Was Sudden

12/18 Parents Say Flu-Stricken Baby Succumbed Quickly
Quote:
The parents of an 11-month-old girl who died from the flu said she was a healthy baby who recently had half of a flu shot.
12/17 Flu Likely Cause Of Cincinnati Infant's Death

Quote:
A Cincinnati girl just shy of her first birthday is believed to have suffered a flu-related death. Hospital officials confirmed that Harrison died Sunday evening after 20 hours of treatment for influenza A. However, they did not pinpoint influenza A as her cause of death, WLWT reported.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 10-16-2004, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

bumping this up even though it is from last year it might help some of the moms posting right now questions about this year's flu.

User Tag List