Vaccinations and Military PCS?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#31 of 38 Old 08-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is some good info on here. Hoping someone can help us. we are NAVY and are in Italy right now. MY husband unit is moving to Spain soon. Our sons(3 non vaccinated) did not pass the overseas medical screening. I never brought up vaccinations, I didnt even make it in for the appt with the overseas screening person. Our dr called us to tell me that it had become an issue because it was recquired that they get vaccinated. He quoted BUMEDINST 1300.2A. I can not seem to find a working link to it anywhere on the net right now. But it says somewhere in there that there is no mechanism for requesting a waiver for dependents. We need to figure something out an fast sa we have less than a week to report back to his CMC. chances are my husband will move with his work and they will send me and the boys back to the states. Not ideal! We will NOT vaccinate our kids, no matter what. If you can help us out, please direct me somewhere to get some answers to get us through this. thanks!
Oh, when we came here to Italy, it wasnt an issue, the dr's never brought it up during our screening.
#32 of 38 Old 08-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I'm posting without reading, but if you have med clearance TMO will issue tickets.

This is how I suggest approaching the vaccine/med clearance issue.

This thread was started by a Navy OP that eventually received med clearance for Japan.
I am just so tired. (http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../multipage.gif 1 2 3 )

This OP is working on it.
We got declined for Japan.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#33 of 38 Old 07-20-2012, 07:57 AM

We r army pcs-ing to HI. I've done a significantly delayed sched with my 3 yr old due o obvious concerns as well as myself having a reaction to pertussis vaccine as a child... Im 33 now and my doc back then decided NOT to continue after my significant reax. My daughter is very behind on hers and I have always done only one at a time to ensure no reax. She hasn't had any since before or shortly after 12 ...anyone know if this will be a prob? We pcs in Oct
#34 of 38 Old 05-23-2014, 10:58 AM

Anyone have any current info on this subject. Wondering if things have changed or if it is still possible to PCS overseas and be non vaxxed

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#35 of 38 Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

It depends on where you are going, and the person who is doing the screening. Remember, we are guests of that country, and if they require vaccinations to enter, we have to respect that.

#36 of 38 Old 05-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Yes, I know :) I guess I was hoping for info on current regs etc. After doing a ton of research I did find this and others might find it helpful too: http://www.mandithedoula.com/military-vax-exemption and also this FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/430457273728606/

applejuice likes this.

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#37 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 PM

Well we might be another family that gets their overseas orders denied due to our slow vaccination approach. My husband (US Navy) got orders to Spain and recently my family went to the Overseas Screening (OS) Doctor appointment and they gave their canned response of your children don't have all the required vaccines so it won't get approved. One of my main issues is how they cannot provide simple answers to simple questions. If you deviate a little from their "standard" processes they go into a tizzy and cannot process whatever information you try to give them.

On my very first overseas screening office visit I informed them that I was vaccinating my children on a slow schedule and asked them if that would pose a problem and the person told me that would NOT be an issue. When I went to the second overseas office visit there was a different person and when they looked at our records they said we were missing vaccines and had to get them ASAP. I explained that I was given a different answer on my first visit so this person said they would look into it and to expect an answer in a couple of days. The next thing they requested was the vaccine plan I was using and that's when they gave us the OS Doctor's appointment (the OS person told me that even if the Doctor approved us they were still going to contact the Spain installation to see if they approved it on their end- what shenanigan is that!?). Of course then we had the OS Doctor's appt where everybody was acting clueless as to what they had to do. First of all they never mentioned the specific vaccines my children were required to have, when I asked if we could start the vaccines here and then complete them in Spain they couldn't answer. I'm supposed to get a call back from a nurse because they need to contact Camp Pendleton in order to figure this situation out (which to me means the nurse calling Camp Pendleton saying- these are the shot records they are not complete so their overseas packet doesn't get approved, right?- ).

My husband tells me not to worry but he has not witnessed the big blinders these people have. I left that appointment feeling like I am doing something against the law and I need to be investigated. Not cool.

applejuice likes this.
#38 of 38 Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 PM

PP - We are an Army family that PCS'd from AZ to Germany about a year ago. My kids are up-to-date on their vaccinations, and we still dealt with a lot of back & forth between the Medical center staffs at the losing/gaining duty stations because of changing overseas entry requirements. The OS staff is actually saving you a lot of hassle by contacting the new duty station in advance of sending over your packet, especially if you are likely to be denied command sponsorship for delayed vax. Hopefully everything is worked out for you soon.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page