Article - Flu not scary yet (interesting for those scared of flu) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2003, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...a_dc&printer=1

Flu Spreading in U.S. But Not Scary Yet, Officials Say
Fri Dec 12, 1:44 AM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The flu is spreading across the United States and the government is concerned enough to buy up 250,000 available doses of vaccine to make sure it goes to those who need it most, officials said on Thursday.

But the influenza season is not especially serious yet and has not reached the level of an epidemic, said Dr. Julie Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites).

Nonetheless, Gerberding and Health and Human Services (news - web sites) Secretary Tommy Thompson said they were happy with the media attention being given to the flu.

"There has been a greatly increased interest in the flu this year. We hope that translates into more people, especially those at high risk, getting their flu shots early in future years," Thompson told a news conference.

**Edited per copyright policy**

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...&threadid=6026
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 01:13 PM

From what I remember, the same crap went on last year, flu vax stocks low, better get yours now,

and then in the article you posted,

Last year the vaccine makers had to throw away 12 million doses of flu vaccine that were never used, so this year they made less.

Me thinks we are being scammed.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:43 PM

Headlines of CNN.com and Foxnews.com both say this morning (12-13-03) that the flu is reaching near epidemic leavles. Take note of

near, how near is near to epidemic?

Sure wish the news could get their stories straight.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:11 PM

thank you for posting this. it is a glimmer of sanity in an insane media frenzy.

i think this year's flu scare is all about the money honey! the makers of the vax get rich on our fear, so it is their objective to promote that fear. for most of us, common sense and rest get us through the cold/flu season just fine.

my mom had that flu shot and she was sick for over a month with severe flu that lead to a double ear infection and sinus infection which required two separate antibiotics. she is in good generall health, and i would guess that if she got the flu instead of the shot, she could have stayed in bed for a week or so and avoided the infections all together.

something that would really help slow the spread of colds and flu is if people would keep their sick kids HOME instead of sending them to school!!!! that would do much more for the individuals and the population than shooting us all up.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:35 PM

They put these two sentences right in a row:

Quote:
Healthy adults and children over 5 can get FluMist, Gerberding said.

To avoid spreading flu, sick people should stay home, wash their hands and avoid coughing on others, she said.
yet don't mention that FluMist is a live vaccine fully capable of spreading the flu itself. :

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
Old 12-13-2003, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed that when I re-read the article. : I'm amazed at the fear mongering going on this year.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:53 PM

What is the true definition of epidemic? I remember reading it somewhere once, and thinking, "*that* is all they mean by epidemic?" I tried to look it up online, but all I got was general info about an illness being "widespread." Actually, www.brainydictionary.com gave the following as a possible definition of epidemic:

"(n.) Anything which takes possession of the minds of people as an epidemic does of their bodies; as, an epidemic of terror."

I think that just about says it all!

Carol
Old 12-13-2003, 05:13 PM

It seems we have an epidemic almost every winter season. Unfortunately people don't realize this and it will add to the hysteria.

Knowledge is power
ignorance is bliss
Old 12-13-2003, 08:09 PM

I was gonna post the same article yesterday!! I saw CNN today, some health show. All bull poo, but the Doc did say the media was making it a bigger threat than it really is-but it is "great" telling people to get the shot :
Old 12-13-2003, 09:44 PM
Dov

I never know what ot make of the flu thing... Maybe because I was so sick growing up, getting sick, which truly a most sucky thing in life, isn't that big of a deal for me. The other thing I can't figure out is why of the people I personally know with the flu this year, more than half of them had the flu shot. I can see if you're in a high risk group (whatever that actually scientifically means I still don't know) or in a job taking care of others whose lives depend on you, it'd be worth it, if it in fact worked.

I'm just very confused by it all: vaccines that work but don't, a disease of varied strains (which either are or aren't included in vaccines, few seem to know), sexist flumist ads (telling moms they should get the flumist because, afterall, if you're sick the world will end -- implying tacitly that Dads can't do anything afterall), medical science that can't seem to give a definitive treatment for flu (is it viral, bacterial, or just a bad cold? Few docs seem to be able to scientifically know), and pharmaceutical industry profiteering. After spending the last week as Dr. Dad for my two kids and my mate, I'm still not sick thankfully. But if I get sick next week, oh well. Maybe I'll get some sleep for a change.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:54 AM

This article reminds me of a quote Dr.Phil said from psychology: I FEAR what I CREATE.

By the way, the quote dates back to the 1800's. Sort of rings true when it comes to vaccines, doesn't it?
Old 12-14-2003, 02:08 AM

As for the Docotrs not knowing. Ihad flu symptoms in August-it was strep throat though. Of course, being August it wasn't assumed flu, yet if it was today I know it would be. Wait, last year I had strep and the Doc called it flu cause it was winter. See I have been battling strep for years (now cured by Quercetin Complex-ie. vitamin C...)

Anyway, this Doc refuused to test me for strep and got angry when Iasked what he thought I had. And he was the same as all the prior Docs I had... (As itype, the news says "2 more deaths attruibuted to flu, warning of deadlier outbreak coming to us..." ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 12-14-2003, 04:01 AM

My sil is an extrememly nervous first time mom. I mean so bad that even after my nephew had 2 teeth she was still afraid he could choke on one cheerio but anyway....

She had the baby get the flu shot, a week later he has an ear infection, and a rash. I think it's roseola(from how she described it over the phone) since he had a high fever also. This is the first time he has gotten sick except for the sniffles once, makes ya wonder...

Notice how after most people have run out to get the shot, now they say it really isn't all that bad. Scammmmm!:

User Tag List