Bill Gates Unleashes Swarm of Mosquitoes on Crowd:(about Malaria vaccine) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 41 Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
I've read that DDT isn't a lot of use anymore because mosquitoes evolved an immunity. But it is still the poster child for the evil done by environmentalists trying to save the birds from the nasty insecticides. We've all got to learn to read between the lines, I think.

Malaria is very nasty, indeed.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it (if the government still allows you to say no...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far as I know, DDT is also part of the that WHO strategy (along with the drugs I was talking about)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6083944

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#33 of 41 Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Here is the 'bare bones' of the situation. Vaccines are relatively cheap. Good food, vitamins, water . . . these things are all far more expensive. It's ugly, but it is true.

If YOU or I lived in a country where we could save our LIFE or our kid's LIFE for the present (even with the risk of illness from a mutating vaccine in the future) -- would we REALLY stand there and say, "sorry, if you can't spend a few thousand on me for the most optimum solution, don't expect me to take your 7 cent vaccine!" . . . We have CHOICES here for our families, many people do NOT.

Yes it would be great if these people could have all the wonderful choices that WE have, but, if that is not possible, don't think they are not grateful for a vaccine, even with its' risks, even if it only prolongs their lives for the short-term. Every day with my kids is precious -- and I am sure the Africans feel the same way.

As a side note, my kids WANT to send money to organizations that provide food and clean wells to Africans, in lieu of presents -- maybe if everyone did this, the need for cheap fixes would decrease . . .

Anyway -- don't scoff at a poor person's fix -- and don't blame everything on 'rich' people -- we all share responsibility for each other -- examine your own actions -- maybe you can only do a little, but that little is YOUR responsibility to do.
#34 of 41 Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
So who is the candidate for a malaria vaccine? People who live in the Sonoran Desert? There are no mosquitoes.

As I already noted, many people who live in malarial areas have a natural immunity to malaria. Are we going to test for this first?

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ~ George Orwell
#35 of 41 Old 02-08-2009, 11:45 PM

I hardly think vaccines are cheap! They don't get to be the wealthiest of companies by offering a cheap product. Even a meningitis vaccine costs $10-$20 a shot. They (africa) got a cheaper version last year that cost 40 cents a shot. Still I hardly doubt a malaria vaccine will be in that vicinity. Probably a few hundred $ to begin with.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/facts.../en/index.html WHO page I was quoting. Very last paragraph.

Malaria, Polio and other diseases are all part of the same problem; a bigger problem. Giving them vaccines is not going to solve the bigger problem. Eliminating the diseases won't fix the bigger picture but fixing the bigger picture will eliminate the diseases.

And this is all of course if a vaccine is even attainable, and then effective and then affordable.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#36 of 41 Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
I hardly think vaccines are cheap! They don't get to be the wealthiest of companies by offering a cheap product. Even a meningitis vaccine costs $10-$20 a shot. They (africa) got a cheaper version last year that cost 40 cents a shot. Still I hardly doubt a malaria vaccine will be in that vicinity. Probably a few hundred $ to begin with.

And this is all of course if a vaccine is even attainable, and then effective and then affordable.
Good Point. I threw the 7 cents out there from the price of Tetanus shots in Africa -- you are absolutely right, Malaria could be much more expensive . . . Of course, if the vaccine only costs, say, 3.5 cents to manufacture, then that leaves a 50% profit, so, yes, a company could grow VERY rich on 7 cent vaccines . . . Unfortunately, the cost is still probably cheaper than the BEST solution . . . And, most Americans are not willing to forgo vacations, drive $200 cars, shop at goodwill, etc. so that we could give all our extra money away to Africa.

Note, I think it would be GREAT of everybody did this so that they could afford the BEST answer -- I just don't think it likely. Look at how much movies bring in each week -- if everybody put their 8 bucks into helping others . . . Sorry! (That's a rant for another day!! : )
#37 of 41 Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
So who is the candidate for a malaria vaccine? People who live in the Sonoran Desert? There are no mosquitoes.

As I already noted, many people who live in malarial areas have a natural immunity to malaria. Are we going to test for this first?
: If this were true and the majority have immunity, why are so many people dying?

Do you think that we should not have gotten rid of it here? And just depended on our natural immunity?
#38 of 41 Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I guess you did not care to read my first post. Oh, well.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ~ George Orwell
#39 of 41 Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM

My grandfather who was in Africa during WWI got malaria at age ca 22 but lived to be 87.
#40 of 41 Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Are you talking about this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
My DH had malaria. He got it in Vietnam. That is not what killed him.

AAs who have the sickle cell anemia gene, not the disease, do not get malaria as it is a natural genetic resistance to the disease. They would not need this new vaccine.

Carriers with the TaySachs gene have a natural genetic resistance to tuberculosis, it is believed.
#41 of 41 Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
My grandfather who was in Africa during WWI got malaria at age ca 22 but lived to be 87.
That's great, but what about the millions who do not survive? We do nothing because a percentage do survive?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page