Is bronchiolitis a reaction to vaccine? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this community and my head is spinning with all of the information that I am reading here. I'm not sure that I have done what is right for my children up to now, but I know that I will try to do what is best for them (and not what is best for my pedi) from here on out.

My DD (4.5 months) had her first two rounds of vaccinations (minus the Hep B). I wanted to do a delayed schedule and pedi talked me out of it, I also wanted to spread these out and she talked me out of it as well. I don't know why I was so naive.

Anyway, DD just came down with a mild case of bronchiolitis. She seemed a bit off just after her vax. But a week later she came down with a fever and then it turned into a cough and now slight wheezing. I asked pedi (a different one that was on call for mine) if it could have been vaccine related and he said he didn't think so. I didn't realize that DD's vax was only 1 week before symptoms showed up and I told him it had been 2-3 weeks.

This coupled with the fact that my DS also came down with bronchiolitis at about 4.5 months old leads me to believe that it wasn't just something picked up from the environment.

Am I right? Is there information about this somewhere? And, if I am right -- I'm freaking out. What did I do to my children? Where do I go from here. What are the long term concerns? I want to read all of these books people are recommending but I need to get to the store/online to buy/order them and I'm looking for info asap.

Also, is there such a thing as a pedi that believes in alternative medical practices along with traditional medicine? Is there a name for this? Not totally homeopathic but somewhat of a hybrid, I guess. Like what a midwife is for pregnancy/birth? How would I go about finding one in my area.

Thanks so much for your help/advice. I have so much to learn and I want to know it all, now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM

I am sorry this is happening. I can tell you this - you've come to the right place. The ladies here are so ridiculously knowledgeable and helpful, you're bound to feel better after a few responses.

My guess is switch doctors. Any doctor who says they can't spread out shots is full of it. Yes they can. I would also guess that maybe you should delay all together until you have a lot more information. My pediatrician doesn't even question me about my decisions and doesn't ask. I am lucky, though I wish this were the norm for everyone. You can try a family practitioner, as well as an NP..?

Where are you located? That's probably the best start. Between this forum, and "finding your tribe" you will get the answers you are looking for. My first guess is to get some sodium ascorbate, to rid the toxins. There are a ton of threads on this wonder vitamin, and I'm sure the more seasoned parents will be able to give you more info.
#3 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Welcome and try and relax!! Don't freak out! Just look at the research avaliable with a critical eye...delay shots until you can educate yourself and feel comfortable with making an informed choice one way or the other.
vaccines have been linked to breathing issues, the medical literature is littered with articles...not sure specifically bronchiolitis, but allergies, asthma, etc.

Don't bother asking your doc is anything is vaccine related. They will always tell you NO!!

To answer your question yes there are MD's who are trained in homeopathy and alternative medeicne but they are very rare. There is one here in my community, but he doesnt take insurance! I rely on a Naturopathic doctor for most non emergent things. i have a pedi for back up.

There is so much to learn and read about. Happy Reading and good for you for questioning what you are told by your pedi

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 PM

Take your time educating yourself, take a deep breath and don't freak out

It could have been related to the vaccine (either a reaction or just because of the stress of being vaccinated) or might not have been related. My unvaccinated DD also had bronchiolitis and similar symptoms around the same age.
#5 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your responses. To be honest, I am kind of freaking out -- but I imagine it is a sort of natural reaction to learning so much eye-opening stuff.

Also, I couldn't find sodium ascorbate -- is calcium ascorbate a good alternative? I've also been taking mega doses of vitamin c in hopes that it would pass along to my little one, does that help too?

Thanks again...
#6 of 12 Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 PM

I can't answer for sure, but my completely unvaxed ds had bronciolitus at the same age and yours.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#7 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM

I can't say for sure, but I also wouldn't disregard it either.

My son came down with a upper respiratory/bronchiolitis type thing about a week after his 4 mo vax (only had DTaP & HiB), which turned out to be RSV. Package inserts do say that upper respiratory issues can be a 'rare' side effect.
His twin sister also had issues with that round (same vaxs), except hers ended in brain surgery

I do hope she is feeling better soon, & good luck with your research....there's tons of it
#8 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by show&tell View Post
Thanks so much for your responses. To be honest, I am kind of freaking out -- but I imagine it is a sort of natural reaction to learning so much eye-opening stuff.

Also, I couldn't find sodium ascorbate -- is calcium ascorbate a good alternative? I've also been taking mega doses of vitamin c in hopes that it would pass along to my little one, does that help too?

Thanks again...

i as well as a few other people here get it at www.bronsonlaboratories.com

good luck and hope you LO feels better!
#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
unvaxed DS also had bronchiolitis, although at 13 mos.

Ask your local HFS to special order the sodium ascorbate. Ours was happy that I pointed out they were not carrying any on the shelf.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm not 100% sure because it was so long ago. I didn't receive more than maybe four vaccines as a child, but I did get the yellow fever vaccine when I was about 9/10. I used to constantly get the cold, and around the same age, I started getting bronchitis with every single one. It turned into asthmatic bronchitis and then I eventually had asthma too. I can't say for certain that the vaccine came before the bronchitis, but I did eventually stop getting it after a year or two, I believe. So it came and went out of the blue, this is why I really think it was vaccine-related. The asthma never went away, but it has gotten better and less frequent.
#11 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dd doesn't get vaccinated and she got bronchiolitis at 6mo. Her pedi said that it was going around and it starts out as a cold and sets in as bronchiolitis and only happens in babies usually under the age of 2yrs. It could just be that time of year. I also read that they are not sure if bronchiolitis causes asthma or triggers the asthma in children that would get it otherwise. They are still researching that.

My baby got over is rather quickly because I was giving her an herbal tincture. A lot of babies around here have gone to the hospital because of it.
#12 of 12 Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by show&tell View Post

Thanks again...
Do not use calcium ascorbate! It is not a good subsitute. I would rec. looking at this thread. It is long but very infomative. Look at #9 in particular. http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hiveissue9+htm

Order SA from bronsonlabs or NOW makes it as well. Just google NOW sodium ascorbate and it will pop up.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page