2nd visit to the ER: Hib vaccination - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got home from the ER. haven't slept in two days and my LO just got worse last night. He fever spiked up again and was in the 103 range. I decided to bring her back in to check for UTI. They also ran a blood test and x-rays and urine. Urine is negative, X-rays clear, blood shows viral infection. Doctor comes back and tells me my LO has a viral infection, the FLU. He told me it's 100% positive that this didn't come from the hib vaccination on Monday. She was PERFECTLY healthy before the shot and she's not getting any better. She's been fevering since Thursday afternoon. Tonight at the hospital she spiked to 105 and the nurse tried to jam medicine literally down her throat. To see my LO screaming and choking with medicine, throwing up all over me, broke my heart. I was numb. What did I allow my child to suffer?

DOES THE HIB VACCINATION CAUSE HIB DISEASE ITSELF?

WHEN IS THIS HELL OF WORRY GOING TO END?

So now what?

CAN THIS HIB SHOT SERIOUSLY AFFECT MY CHILD? I AM IN TEARS AND SCARED.
#2 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Oh, Lollicup, I wish there was more I could do or say,...All I want to say is that I'm thinking about you and hoping for all the best for you and your lo. Hang in there, listen to your heart about what to do next.

#3 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think you're correct to see an association between the timing of the shot and the infection, but I don't think the shot caused it.

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/flu/qandadis.asp

Quote:
How long does it take to develop symptoms of influenza after being exposed?
The incubation period of influenza is usually two days but can range from one to five days.
I bet she picked up the flu at the doctor's office.
Does the timing seem correct for that to have been what happened?

And to answer your question, no, the Hib vaccine does not and can not cause Hib disease. If anyone here says otherwise, please ignore them.
#4 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 05:29 PM

More than once wiht my older boys that are fully vaxed they actually picked something up at the drs office. Then getting the vaccine their immune systems was down and they got really sick

Did they do a swab for the actual flu or RSV? both are really bad here ( both A & B strains of the flu) My sister is an ER manager and she said she had more RSV+ in the past 72hrs than the rest of they year combined.

Sorry your little one is sick

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#5 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM

I am so sorry, but I think you might find a bit of comfort in that this was probably not the HiB vaccine since a test confirmed the Flue, and that you don't have "injuries" ahead of you. Focus right now on researching ways to help your daughter through the flu, keeping hydrated, comfortable, etc.

I know that people here are in general very much against tylenol or other fever repressors. Perhaps your doctor recommended against it. However, I think you need to evaluate if your daughter is getting enough sleep. A body cannot heal and get well if it's starting to suffer from sleep deprivation. That will only further weaken the system IMO, especially if you are on day 3 now. I am not suggesting keeping your daughter dosed up, but a half dose at night to help her sleep will really help.

I also know this from my own experience with alot of fevers this past year (from bizarre illnesses picked up from my daughter). I avoided fever reducers most of the time but when it got particularly high and I was unable to sleep and hurt all over, the longer I stayed up the worse I felt. A dose of tylenol finally broke the cycle and I was able to finally rest. The next day I was still ill but did not need anything more as finally sleeping after 3 days of no sleep helped that much.
#6 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
I think you're correct to see an association between the timing of the shot and the infection, but I don't think the shot caused it.

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/flu/qandadis.asp

I bet she picked up the flu at the doctor's office.
Does the timing seem correct for that to have been what happened?

And to answer your question, no, the Hib vaccine does not and can not cause Hib disease. If anyone here says otherwise, please ignore them.
This is exactly what it has seemed to be to me, and now you have blood test evidence of the virus presence, so I would begin treatment as though you are dealing with influenza...unless you doubt the test?

you said your doc was very natural minded, can you get an appointment soon and see what her recommendations are for a course of action rather than the harsh tactics of the ER?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#7 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So sorry this is happening...Im sure she will be ok. The flu is a drag, but with proper rest and care she will be fine.

I agree with Carrie. Try and have a conversation or visit with your regular doc since she may be more conservative/natural with tx reccomendations thabn the ER.
Good Luck and keep us posted

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your well wishes and concern, it means a lot to me. I can't believe I am so affected by this! She is my first child! I phone my doctor and she recommended BellaDonna and Thuja.
#9 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM

If it is the Flu I would probably ask them for the lab test that confirmed the flu and what strain.

I did read a news story a few weeks ago where a child developed HIB disease after the vaccination. I'll see if I can find it...nope, can't find it.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#10 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
If it is the Flu I would probably ask them for the lab test that confirmed the flu and what strain.

I did read a news story a few weeks ago where a child developed HIB disease after the vaccination. I'll see if I can find it...nope, can't find it.
According to VAERS, this did happen in the early 90s in a few cases but with a different brand that is no longer used. I couldn't find any cases on VAERS since the early 90s.

I'd like to read that news story!
#11 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 PM

I feel so bad for you and your LO. I hope she is doing better by now!

One great book that I am so happy I have is "How to raise a healthy child IN SPITE of your doctor" by Dr Robert Mendelsohn. I LOVE this book! It's a great reference when your child does get sick, and what to do. He is not vaccine happy however, which is one of the reasons I love this book!

My other favorite book is Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Hope that things are settling down and your baby is home with you now.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#12 of 23 Old 03-14-2009, 11:04 PM

It makes me wonder why the medical community has never check on post-vaccinal antibody titers, one, maybe the vaccine never worked at all or two, the presence of antibodies suggests acute or recent infection acquired from the vaccines.
#13 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 AM

Sounds like the flu. If bloodwork shows viral infection then deal with accordingly. Go with the Belladonna, I'm not familiar with Thuja but homeopathy is totally safe.

Is this the Homeopath that vaccinates? That's just bizarre.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#14 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

My son had his first flu (and it was a really bad one) at 6 months of age, just two days after vaccines. He was nursing, so I never took him to the hospital. Fever (unless it is well above 105 does not bother me, this is a body's natural way to fight off diseases).

I think your son does have flu. However, just like in case with my son, I do believe that vaccines have aot to do with this: they weaken and mess up immune system making child more vulnerable to disease, including flu. I believe my son would not got sick with that flu had I not vaccinated him making his immune system unable to fight off the bug.
#15 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarchik View Post
Sounds like the flu. If bloodwork shows viral infection then deal with accordingly. Go with the Belladonna, I'm not familiar with Thuja but homeopathy is totally safe.

Is this the Homeopath that vaccinates? That's just bizarre.
On the other thread it was revealed that she is an MD who is familiar with homeopathy..but that is totally different than a classical homeopath. She is still and MD.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#16 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Just wanted to let you know that you and your little one are in my thoughts.

#17 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
HIB is a bacteria, not a virus.

Strange coincidences do hapen. My DS was scheduled for shots one day a couple months ago. I moved the appt. as the time ended up not working. The evening that it would have been, he woke up again shortly after bedtime and cried for a few minutes and then kept tossing and turning and drifting in and out of sleep and crying but never quite awake enough to really tell me what was wrong. It really struck home to me that if I had had him vaxed that day as originally planned, I would have been totally convinced that he was having a reaction, wheras it would have just been a coincidence since there he was having the "reaction" without ever having had the shot. It was a yucky night for a bit, but I finally gave him some Tylenol just in case it would help, and he went to sleep shortly after and was fine in the morning.

I doubt the flu now has any relation to the hib vax. Even normally healthy kids just get it now and then. It sucks though, sorry she (and you) have to go through that. Hope she's feeling better soon.
#18 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM

I would guess the vax weakened his immune system which allowed him to get sick easier with the flu. I would be interested to see test results to see what flu it was. Also because there is such a high fever, this leads me to believe that your LO is really fighting something hard, likely the vax and flu at the same time.

I just hope they are not overlooking something because they are so confident that it is the flu.
#19 of 23 Old 03-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Did they do the nasal swab to confirm flu or are they just going off the BW? I wouldnt be satisfied until I knew for sure it was the flu. And even then I would totally reconsider any and all vax until she is older.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#20 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Is the child showing any symptoms beyond fever? Any flu symptoms at all? My dd 12 months just had roseola, no other symptoms besides high fever between 102-105 for five days. It is viral. If they didn't test for flu specifically, but could tell from bloodwork it is viral, roseola is a possibility. If so a rash will come when the fever breaks. Nurse, nurse, nurse, support sleeping, rock her, or walk the floors if neccessary to help her sleep better. It can be exhausting, I know, this is my third child and this baby's first illness we just went through. I didn't sleep much at all for four nights, on the fifth was better because the fever didn't go above 102 (judging by touch), which is better for sleeping. Fever of 105 can be scary, but not neccessarily a cause for concern. Try to wait it out if the baby isn't seeming seriously ill to the point of lethargy or other symptoms or conditions manifest.

blogging.jpg

#21 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Lollicup please update and keep us posted. You and your babe are in my thoughts. Hoping baby is feeling better and the fever has broke for good.

blogging.jpg

#22 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM

In the Dr. Sears book he says that a baby is susceptible to a Hib infection for about 5 days after the vaccine. The vaccine doesn't give the baby the disease but "distracts" the mmune system so the baby is unprotected against a natural Hib infection.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#23 of 23 Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony08 View Post
In the Dr. Sears book he says that a baby is susceptible to a Hib infection for about 5 days after the vaccine. The vaccine doesn't give the baby the disease but "distracts" the mmune system so the baby is unprotected against a natural Hib infection.
The Hib vaccine contains the physiological evidence of the disease. And early- onset Hib disease is listed as one of the many adverse reactions to Hib vaccine, of course. The Hib vaccine, therefore, has transmitted the Hib disease to the baby. Although the medical community had favored the rejection of any causality, the body will definitely eliminate these toxins out of the body.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page