Please Help My 23 Month old Son Got Staples They Want To Give Him DTAP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please Help My 23 Month old Son Got Staples They Want To Give Him DTAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son cut his head open yesterday and he has never been vaccinated.He fell from my daughter's new bed when climbing down the ladder.He fell back on his crib and cut the back of his head on a piece of metal on the crib. They tried to give him an adult tetnus vaccine at the ER and I refused.Now they want to give him the DTAP. I found after hours of phone calls that I can get Tetnus Toxoid Adsorbed.They are saying it would be ok for my 23 month old but the bottle says over 7.CONFUSING!!!I now looked and that vaccine online and it contains mercury,aluminum,and thimerisol??!! After much research(and little sleep) in the last 24 hours I am finding that tetanus is not very likely to occur with this kind of wound in a child.The doctor's and now health department are making it out like he is going to die if he gets tetanus and it is very likely.They are also mortified that I will not give him the pertussis vaccine as "hardly any children are really harmed or even have reactions from any vaccine",yeah right! Any Advice??
#2 of 16 Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=marykayf;13394976]Please Help My 23 Month old Son Got Staples They Want To Give Him DTAP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son cut his head open yesterday and he has never been vaccinated.He fell from my daughter's new bed when climbing down the ladder.He fell back on his crib and cut the back of his head on a piece of metal on the crib. They tried to give him an adult tetnus vaccine at the ER and I refused.Now they want to give him the DTAP.

The risk factors for tetanus include a deep wound, little to no bleeding and a lack of oxygen. As long as the injury bled well and was properly cared for there is practically no risk for tetanus.

In fact, I've never heard of someone having tetanus from a head injury...anyone else?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#3 of 16 Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM

I suppose you could technically get tetanus from an injury anywhere on the body. I don't know enough about that though.

marykay posted in our local tribe and decided against the vaccine/toxoid (I believe).

Quote:
it contains mercury,aluminum,and thimerisol
that must have been for the vaccine itself, not the toxoid. I believe the toxoid is a blood product and would not contain these (I could be wrong but I know they are different from vaccines). Thimerosal is basically mercury.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#4 of 16 Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Your son has just as much chance of getting tentnus from the babies crib as you do if you cut yourself with a kitchen knife. You can't worry about every cut that comes along.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 16 Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Tell them no and take your child home. The likelyhood that he will get tetnus from an injury like that is just ridiculous. I'm sure he has a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#6 of 16 Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 AM

tetenus cannot live in the presence of blood... oxygen kills tetenus...and if blood is present ...and blood is oxygenated...there is miniscule chance of a tetanus infection.... i would tell that doctor he can take it up with my lawyer... they should not be harrassing you over your decision.... that should be against the law.

a bleeding wound is not a candidate for tetenus...usually a wound that has been punctured by a dirty/soiled object that doesn't bleed may be a cause for concern... i also believe it has to do with people who have poor circulation, ie diabetics.... but i would never see the need... too many toxins in the shot ...it is not worth shooting myself up with all that aluminum... i would not want to put my neurological integrity at risk
#7 of 16 Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM

I would forgo, IMO the chances of your child reacting to the DTaP vaccine are much much higher than any remote chance of getting tetanus from the wound you described. See my siggy.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#8 of 16 Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 AM

I had the same pressure from ER when my son sustained a similar injury requiring stitches. I went through exactly what you are going through.

When we went to my ped the following day to get the wound checked, she actually laughed aloud at the notion that he could have got tetanus from such an injury, and told me that it was simply not possible.
And my ped is totally pro-vaccinations.

If my ped told me it was nonsense, trust me, it's nonsense. She'd have loved to have had a good reason to persuade me to give the DTaP, but would not do so.

Tetanus comes from deep puncture wounds that do not bleed, not the type of wound you are describing.

HTH
#9 of 16 Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM

If your child haqs never been vaccinated with any form of tetanus, then the DTaP is completely useless anyway. By the time it took effect, the tetanus would already be in full swing.

If they were actually worried about a tetanus infection from this wound, they would have offered the TIG (immunglobulin) not the DTaP. They are just trying to jab one more kid.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#10 of 16 Old 03-20-2009, 04:09 PM

I hope you didn't get him the vaccine. He has virtually no chance of getting tetanus. Kids bleed quickly and they never did had much of a chance of tetanus no matter what wound they received.

The tetanus vaccine is based on no research. It is all bogus. They don't even know whether it has any affect on a wound at all which is why they keep changing the duration that it is supposed to be protective.

If there was any blood at all, for sure I would not risk getting that shot or any other. If it were my child I would not even give it if there were no blood at all. I would just tell them to do proper wound care because he is not vaccinated and won't be getting any.

Don't listen to doctors and nurses. You are in charge. Be your own doctor and take health care into your own hands.

Some people have a terrific reaction to the tetanus vaccine. It is not without concerns.
#11 of 16 Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM

here's another posting supporting your (hopeful!) decision to leave without the shots. either way, kudos to you for taking your concerns to a forum you trust instead of relying only upon the opinions of those you don't (regardless of the letters after their names)!! it takes courage to do that -- good mama!
#12 of 16 Old 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM

from my biology notes (I take a Bio class every few years-sick, right? I love it though!)...
tetanus is anaerobic.... usually comes from nails/metals TURNED UP from being underground/in the dark, moist...but can also come from animal bites...

I would bet lots of money on the fact that your son is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to get tetanus from a scrape to the head by a piece of metal on a crib (even if it had some rust on it) that is exposed to air/light..
hope my two cents helps
( I always held onto that knowledge and found it intriguing when reading about it because I had previously thought tetanus was lurking ANYTIME there was any little bit of rust or injury from metal...)
#13 of 16 Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreskin friendly View Post
from my biology notes (I take a Bio class every few years-sick, right? I love it though!)...
tetanus is anaerobic.... usually comes from nails/metals TURNED UP from being underground/in the dark, moist...but can also come from animal bites...

I would bet lots of money on the fact that your son is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to get tetanus from a scrape to the head by a piece of metal on a crib (even if it had some rust on it) that is exposed to air/light..
hope my two cents helps
( I always held onto that knowledge and found it intriguing when reading about it because I had previously thought tetanus was lurking ANYTIME there was any little bit of rust or injury from metal...)
Technically, rust doesn't have anything to do with tetanus. The association has only been made over time because rust is usually on big, pointy objects half buried in the soil on fields and farms, etc. It is those kinds of things that cause the wounds more likely to be associated with tetanus. Tetanus is actually all around us, on our skin - everywhere. But it needs an environment without oxygen to grow so unless you have a puncture wound in a place with poor circulation, it is very unlikely.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#14 of 16 Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Technically, rust doesn't have anything to do with tetanus. The association has only been made over time because rust is usually on big, pointy objects half buried in the soil on fields and farms, etc. It is those kinds of things that cause the wounds more likely to be associated with tetanus. Tetanus is actually all around us, on our skin - everywhere. But it needs an environment without oxygen to grow so unless you have a puncture wound in a place with poor circulation, it is very unlikely.
Exactly...tetanus has always been associated with rust, because that is where all of the scares usually come from-that is why I mentioned the association...and mentioned that it is anaerobic (needs environment without O)...
#15 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I never saw any of these responses to my posts until now! Not sure what happened.I did NOT give my son any vaccinations and never will!

Thanks for all the advice!

#16 of 16 Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Great news! So, how is the little guy doing these days?

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Tags
Vaccinations , Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination , Tetanus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page