Tetanus more common in tropics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello. I just had a friend tell me that they vaccinated their infant daughter against tetanus because it is more of a risk in warmer climates. We live in Hawaii. Does anyone know if that's true?

:yawning: SAHM in with dd : 11/08 and ds joy.gif 7/11
#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Never heard that...

-Angela
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 02:07 AM

The CDC Pink book http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pin...etanus-508.pdf says:

Quote:
Tetanus occurs worldwide but is most frequently encountered in densely populated regions in hot, damp climates with soil rich in organic matter.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#4 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 AM

Hi, I'd like more information on this as well. We live on Guam. 

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#5 of 6 Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM

I would think because you are more likely to go barefoot all year round...So the risk of a puncture wound is higher. Plus your gardening season is much much longer! More time to play in dirt.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 AM

Hi Shell024!! I know this is not really related to what you are trying to find out, but I read your thread of the Guam vaccination exemption and I was wondering if you could please help me out by clarifying a few things for me? I'm sorry I am very new to this whole Blog/thread thing.

I am dead set on postponing my DDs vaccines for a long time! I live in the Northern Mariana Islands. Children are pretty much mandated to be vaccinated over here. I looked up the laws here on vaccinations and they offer no religious exemption forms. The only vaccine exemptions they have here are "certifications" from health care providers that state why the child may not be vaccinated due to alergic reactions, terminal illnesses, and the such... I am apprehensive to even bring it up with the few doctors that we are equipped with here for the fact that they may just call child protection services on me for child neglect. therefore, I was seriously contemplating about moving to Guam if that's what it took to not vaccinate my DD.

How did it go for you to process your religious exemption form? If you were successful, do you mind telling me what religion did you enlist in? And any thing else I may need to know about the process would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much for your time!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page