Measles from Measles Vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, talk to me about it... I hear about a "rash" reaction from the MMR but that seems so vague... ie, are they trying not to call it a mild case of measles?

What about full blown spots all around the cheeks and some on neck with fever and loose stools and fever starting 8 days after a vax? My daughter had a singles measles vax a week ago thursday and is sick now. I have photos of what it looks like but prefer not to post the link. but if you are good with identifying rashes.... ie, chicken pox, measles or roseola... can you PM me and I will send you the link? Her face is really red and it's more than a sprinkling of dots. Many of them are blended together and from a quick search, this seems to be common in measles rashes.

She has had a fever no higher than 102 but since Friday. It goes down in the day time but rises at night.

I can't find anything online about people/kids getting a mild case of measles from the vax but I am feeling too impatient/tired right now to google the answer. I am pretty sure it happens from what I remember but not sure if the blogs and stuff I read online and see regarding rashes is the same as what she has. The images I see online are peppering dots covering the body but hers are much more red and look almost like welts.

Can the vax cause an actual mild case of measles? This what I found first from one site: "As mentioned above, because the measles vaccine is "live," it can cause mild measles-like symptoms in some recipients, but it does not cause measles disease."

how are they distinguishing the two based on what? (I hear TH1TH2 posting even before he/she's read this *lol*)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 AM

Could be, though from my research measles isn't as likely to cause the disease as rubella.

I'm a pretty seasoned rash-picture researcher if you'd like to PM me. What tends to look measles-y in my experience is what they call a "lacy" rash- flat, not raised and not clear circular spots, more like you'd see sunlight through a piece of lace.

I've heard that measles has a "smell" - notice anything unusual?

Hope she feels better soon!

-Angela
Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
Ok, talk to me about it... I hear about a "rash" reaction from the MMR but that seems so vague... ie, are they trying not to call it a mild case of measles? ... Can the vax cause an actual mild case of measles? This what I found first from one site: "As mentioned above, because the measles vaccine is "live," it can cause mild measles-like symptoms in some recipients, but it does not cause measles disease."
This is the "definition" of attenuation, inasmuch as virulence is said to be removed. Humans made it, must be fine. Besides, if you can't see the damage then it didn't happen.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Yes, you can catch a mild case of measles from the vaccine. Calling it "measles like symptoms" is just symantics.

It's also possible she caught a different "rash virus" at the doc's office.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

It's unlikely that it was something picked up at the doc's office. The place we got the shot was a travel clinic and not a regular doctor's office. It was just a small waiting room and reception area with one office. No other people there. But she did start a new daycare on Monday so possibly something there but not other kids are sick. I will PM you the photos.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:44 AM

How's your little one doing today, anewmama?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

I was not able to stay home with her today as I have no sick leave. DH has tons so he stayed with her. He said that she played a little bit but in general was very clingy. She fell asleep in her high chair at around 10:30 eating. Something she has NEVER done with me EVER. He took her out and put her down and she woke a bit but when back to sleep. She did this a few times, waking and going back to sleep, and did not wake up fully until 1:00 or so. The rash on her face has gone down and she seems to not have a fever anymore. She still has some spots on her body. She finally had a BM tonight... something she didn't do since Sunday. She is normally a 1-3 times a day gal. And it was.. TMI... soft and creamy.

When I came home, she was also very clingy but seemed distant, lacking in energy in a strange way. Tonight I nursed her to sleep and she fell asleep nursing in about 7 minutes, something she has not done in a long, long time. She has been in the habit of nursing and then playing whispering games with me before going to sleep. She wants to nurse constantly at night and last night, would just scream if she couldn't. It seems like it to me that she is breathing very shallowly when she sleeps but maybe it just seems that way right now.

Tomorrow, if she is in any way like she was today, DH is going to take her in and insist they do a blood test to find out if anything is going on from what they can tell blood wise. I do not think she should be so tired and out of it like she was today as the rash is better and she has few other symptoms right now like no vomiting, no major diarrhea.

Thanks for asking.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:33 PM

I thought I read somewhere that diarrhea is a side effect of measles. I don't know enough about measles rash but agree that it does sound like she got a case of it from the vaccine.

If you can get Vit A into her (and yourself) that is helpful for the body to fight off the measles.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How is she now?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:22 AM

Old 04-10-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

She was still very sleepy on Wednesday and DH stayed home with her again. She slept a whole lot all day. Her cheeks are splotchy but not as inflamed and mean looking. The dots on her body went away. Yesterday, she was much more herself and when I went to hug her, she wanted her "space" which is a good sign as the 5 days before, you could not put her down at all without her screaming or being very upset.

I wrote a 4 and a half page letter to the doctor detailing all of the circumstances around the vaccine: vaxed at a travel office, not a doctors office, 3.5 days after spent in the country and saw no one (so not bug to be picked up), no one sick around her, and I quoted the VIS and MMWR for measles about allergic reactions and the time frames as being just right. The doctor received my letter and he called me back yesterday. He said he filed a VAERS report and agreed that she had an allergic reaction to the vaccine and should not receive another MMR. I need to meet with him about filing a permanent exemption for her. And to really talk about it. My new doctor is on maternity leave so he was the fill in. I have never met him before taking her in.

So, I just am worried now... how prevalent is Rubella? Since she had the singles measles vax, what is the chance she will hopefully get Rubella naturally to get immunity?

I really don't know what to think about this in terms of any other vaxes as strange as that may sound. I was never going to do all of them anyway. But now, it seems I would have to be an idiot to even think of doing anything else. I gave her HIB and it seemed to cause projectile vomiting, extreme irritability/screaming and fever 4 days after the HIB vax. I gave it the benefit of the doubt since a couple of kids in her daycare the week before had thrown up. Though I don't think any of them were off for a full 4 days. Or were crying or had extreme irritability. Theirs was just a 24 hour bug. So now I am rethinking that as I believe that vomiting is a reaction to Hib and now with this reaction to the measles, I think I cannot discredit the HIB reaction as a sign.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Sorry mama. It's hard isn't it? We just want the best for our little ones and want to know we're making the right decisions. I hope she feels fully well again soon. I haven't vaccinated my 13 month at all, but I don't know that I'll ever be done looking into it and considering it. There's so much push to vaccinate I feel like I have to be constantly on my toes about it and as sure as I can be that I am making the right decisions. So far nothing I've encountered has swayed me towards vaccinating. They're so precious and they depend on us to protect them. All we can do is do our best what ever we may choose. I wouldn't fret overly about Rubella right now. There's plenty of time to make a decision about it later. Looking into the numbers on CRS has really made me wonder if it really was ever a big problem at all. Now they are claiming chicken pox and fifth's disease and roseola (I think or was it the entire virus family?, wasn't much details in the article I read, but they're making a vaccine for this) cause congenital problems too.

blogging.jpg

Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 PM

i had nearly the same experience after my sons' mmr... and that is what prompted me to seriously research... the doctor wouldn't even acknowledge it and that really alarmed me...
I would never ever get another vaccine for anything... honestly i just think they cause far too much damage ...
doctors will protect thier income/vaccines because they CAN get away with it... and they DO

User Tag List