Dr Sears, Dr Gordon- pro or anti vax? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are these two men pro vax, anti vax, or pro S/D? I have heard these books reccomended by both pro and anti vaxers which confuses me a bit. I want to buy a book or two from the no-vax perspective to show my son's mother and wouldnt want to buy something that gives mixed messages
#2 of 20 Old 04-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Gordon is largely anti-vax-as-they-currently-are. But only recently is really saying as much. Sears varies. I've *heard* that ONE of the Sears' doesn't vax. But the book is pretty pro-vax.

-Angela
#3 of 20 Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM

They can't really ever be anti-vax. They don't have the choice to be that honest so it is better for them not to look too deeply into the issue. They must follow the party line.

But to be completely pro-vax may make them feel guilty and could even back fire. Besides, who would read a book that does not present some controversy.

The best way for peds to act these days it to talk out of both sides of the mouths.

But who cares?
#4 of 20 Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 PM

Sears is incredibly pro-vax. His book has some interesting information in it regarding the content of vaccines, but he still recommends a full vaccine schedule.

Dr. Gordon has conflicting messages all over the place. Some people are saying he used to be pro-vax (delayed) but now is not a fan, but his website still says he is pro-vax. I would assume any book he wrote more than a year ago would also be pro-vax, but I haven't read any to know for sure.

I think Dr. Tenpenny and Aviva Romm both have "anti" vax books that are good.
#5 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 02:42 AM

Dr. Lauren Feder also has a vaccine book - its mainly facts etc. but I know from her talks that she didn't vax her kids (Dr. Gordan also didn't based on our ped visit with him - he was great but too $$ for us so we had to go with another MD).
#6 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 AM

The book I gave DH when he was on the fence is "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#7 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 AM

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.
Interesting... on one of Dr Gordon's vax dvd's where he's giving a long lecture on vaccinations, right at the end, someone in the audience asks him whether he has vaccinated his child... if I remember rightly, he said he wouldn't choose vaccinations for his own family members. Hope I got this right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#8 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Dr. Sears book - I have not read it myself but have read that there are some bits of erronous information. He does recommend a full schedule, just spread out.

Dr. Gordon - Vaccination DVD. I thought it was awesome and it was the only thing that opened DH's eyes (we still disagree on vaxes but at least he is more comfortable with stopping now). He doesn't go over everything because there isn't enough time. At the end, he does say that if he had more children of his own now, he would NOT vaccinate them.

Quote:
Some people are saying he used to be pro-vax (delayed) but now is not a fan, but his website still says he is pro-vax
He used to be more 'pro-vax' (if you can call it that) years ago, but now has changed his opinion in that we need to be REALLY careful in what we are doing with vaccinations and we have to look at each individual situation (I hope I got that right). No, his website is not updated.

The only truly non-biased book I have read is Aviva Jill Romm's. So personally, I would not recommend Sears book. I would recommend Gordon's DVD and Romm's book. Romm's book goes into quite a bit of detail and extremely interesting historical info. Maybe your local library has these.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#9 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 12:10 PM

I found Romm's book extraordinarily informative, even if she does say that getting Pertussis gives lifelong immunity. My understanding is that is not the case.
#10 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
I found Romm's book extraordinarily informative, even if she does say that getting Pertussis gives lifelong immunity. My understanding is that is not the case.
It's been quite a while since I read the book. I agree, we do know that it does NOT give lifelong immunity. I think the immunity can last 5-10 years something like that. And I thought I remember reading pertussis cycles every 5 years or so.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#11 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM

I think they are both open-minded physicians about the topic of vaccination, which aren't exactly easy to find. I watched Dr. Jay's DVD and read Dr. Sears book. They were two additional perspectives in my quest for information. I think Dr. Jay's video would be decent to show a relative. I've heard quite a few people say it helped them show relatives that the idea of vaccinating wasn't "crazy." If I remember it correctly, he goes over each disease, how common it is, etc. He does say he probably wouldn't vaccinate his own children if he had them today.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#12 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Dr. Sears book - I have not read it myself but have read that there are some bits of erronous information. He does recommend a full schedule, just spread out.
Yes, but VERY spread out. For example, he says that chicken pox isn't necessary, but you might want to get it when your child is older (approaching teen years). Same with the Hep vaxes.

And I like his realistic approach to the diseases. For example, he clearly states that measles, mumps, and rubella are typically NOT dangerous at all for kids.

I actually really like the Sears book, but I am not anti-vax, so that might be why. (My 4-year-old, for example, hasn't had any vaxes, but we plan to start some of them soon.)

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#13 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 PM

i actually like the sears book, too. he's pro-vax in the respect that he doesn't really question the "efficacy" of the vaccinations. and that he does recommend a regular vaccination schedule unless you have cause for concern, like a family history of autism. though i think that recommendation is just covering his butt.

but he's been speaking out quite clearly about the need for more research to be done about aluminum in shots, etc.
#14 of 20 Old 04-09-2009, 03:09 PM

I liked the Dr Sears book but i know personally he is pretty pro vax my siblings have him as a pediatrician. i think my mom has my siblings vaxed on his delayed schedule if i recall correctly since i try and avoid vax conversations with my mom since she is pro vax and i haven't vaxed my son since he was 4months and he's now almost 3yrs old and hardly sick.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#15 of 20 Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

I liked the Dr Sears book but i know personally he is pretty pro vax my siblings have him as a pediatrician. i think my mom has my siblings vaxed on his delayed schedule if i recall correctly since i try and avoid vax conversations with my mom since she is pro vax and i haven't vaxed my son since he was 4months and he's now almost 3yrs old and hardly sick.

My conversations w/ him have been the opposite. That is interesting.
#16 of 20 Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think they are pro choice.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#17 of 20 Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Dr. Gordon states on his (excellent!) video that to be "anti-vax" is like being "anti-car." He shares my own position that there is a time and place for vaccines, BUT the schedule should be individualized according to each child, there are MANY unnecessary vaxes on the schedule, and parents should be free to choose what they feel is best for their family. I'm not sure if he supports parents choosing not to vax at all, (as I do), but he does coach them through the exemption process. NOT everybody on MDC agrees with me or Dr. Gordon, but that's the basic outlining of the position.

Dr. Sears I would call pro-vax and only slightly "pro-choice" on the issue. His book seems to take the position of "If you must deviate from the CDC schedule, here's the way to do it." When I heard him on NPR's This American Life, he was emphatically against not vaxing at all, quoting Dr. Spock that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#18 of 20 Old 04-13-2009, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Gordon is largely anti-vax-as-they-currently-are. But only recently is really saying as much. Sears varies. I've *heard* that ONE of the Sears' doesn't vax. But the book is pretty pro-vax.

-Angela
I didn't get from the book that Dr. Sears is pro-vax at all. I guess it just depends on where you are already coming from.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#19 of 20 Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM

I haven't read the Gordon or Sears books. I have read some great books by Neil Z. ******. In one he shows graphs outlining polio rates, death before vaccine introduction etc. It is graphic and clear that the death rate fell to small numbers way before the vaccines came.

He also makes the point that the death rates fell in Europe as well, where they had no mass vaccination programs.

His books are very eye opening and grounded in science and with references. I've only read his older books, but I think his newer ones would probably be well researched and clear.

Totally anti vax--no ambiguity. He explains why.

Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective, and Immunization Theory Vs. Reality: Expose on Vaccinations

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#20 of 20 Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I didn't get from the book that Dr. Sears is pro-vax at all. I guess it just depends on where you are already coming from.
He gives some good info, but his "selective delayed" schedule is basically everything within a month of schedule

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page