Pig flu video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBeKB7aKzOs
#212 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
Yesterday I read somewhere that Medimmune in Gaithersburg MD was shipped some of the virus to start working on vax. They are the place that makes the live virus Flumist nasal spray vax. They are probably 3 miles from where I live. Now THAT's scary.
I work a mile from the CDC in Atlanta, now THAT is scary!

My company does their air balance testing, technicians will come back from there saying how they worked in the fish room or the monkey room today!
#213 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post

Funny how I don't remember ANYthing about swine flu from back then. Perhaps it's because my best/only friend had passed away in the spring of 1976. Guess I wasn't thinking about much else.
That is so sad. I am so sorry you had to deal with such a tragic loss at such a young age. Reading that really affected me and made me cry. My best friend (since childhood) died unexpectedly last summer. He was so close to my children and his daughter was my daughter's VERY best friend. They had been hanging out since they were in diapers, and they were nine at the time. He was divorced and didn't get along with his ex. Now that she has full custody, we don't see his daughter anymore either. She didn't die, but it is a loss none theless, cause we don't get to see or talk to her anymore. Damn, I miss them!! When I read your post, it made me remember my children and having to tell them he was gone. That was the worst. I remember sitting in the car and putting off going inside to tell them, so that my children could have just a few more minutes of their intact and safe world before I went inside and shattered it.

I know this is OT, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what you had to go through. That must have been so hard.
#214 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 09:35 AM

This situation is scary. But I have to say that it is astonishing how the same information is presented in entirely different tones from one media outlet to another. I have stopped watching CNN because I think they are feeding hysteria by the way they are spinning the numbers.

So far, the numbers do not seem to indicate a hugely different pattern than seasonal flu. I'm taking heart in that. And I'm taking a few precautions that I wouldn't normally - staying out of densely populated areas and making my DH use Medieval Oil mix before he travels on public transport. And we're all generally taking really good care of ourselves. I'm most concerned about my elderly father who recently got over pneumonia and has to visit the hospital regularly for check ups - I don't want him anywhere near the hospital.

Dr. Mercola's article that came out yesterday helped me calm myself a bit, too.

mom to DD and one on the way, wife since 1997 to a great guy

#215 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM

I posted a comment but it got rightfully edited because I didn't realize at the time that my copy and paste had grabbed WAY more than it should have! I saw it from last night's page that hadn't been refreshed but it was too late to edit it myself. So, try again because this is something I don't get.

Not the best source, but I saw this:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...wine-flu_N.htm

Quote:
A pandemic is a geographically widespread epidemic of a newly evolved disease for which humans have no natural immunity. The last pandemic flu was the Hong Kong flu in 1968-1969, which killed more than 33,800 people in the USA and more than 1 million worldwide, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.

So... back to the 35,000 cases of flu deaths each year... are news outlets not talking about them? They aren't on the ones I have seen. Aren't most deaths to "normal" flu due to a lack of immunity that results in death or secondary infections that result in death? The way flu evolves and mutates yearly, isn't every year a pandemic? I know this strain is unusual, but it's still within most flu profiles in terms of how it has mutates and what typically happens, no?
#216 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmama View Post

So... back to the 35,000 cases of flu deaths each year... are news outlets not talking about them? They aren't on the ones I have seen. Aren't most deaths to "normal" flu due to a lack of immunity that results in death or secondary infections that result in death? The way flu evolves and mutates yearly, isn't every year a pandemic? I know this strain is unusual, but it's still within most flu profiles in terms of how it has mutates and what typically happens, no?
There is good discussion on this over on the other swine flu thread at health and healing. Page 10 has some bantering on the "cause of death" info:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...076026&page=10

Also, I'm pretty sure is 35,000 is the approximate number of confirmed cases of flu/year, not deaths. At CDC the weekly report April 18 says (of 183,839 samples tested) that 25,925 have tested positive for flu. It looks like they only are counting pediatric deaths, of which 55 are confirmed on the site for 2008-9 so far.
#217 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Just posting a link I found last night that mentions how analysis of the virus shows that it is probably not even as bad as our seasonal flu bug. Also, that the reason more younger people seem to be affected than older is that it is related to a 1957 pandemic and that older people may have partial immunity. Upon waking up this morning I was just sure that other media sources would pick up on it and it would be all over the news. Seems like the media wants to keep the hysteria up... it was hard to find the link again by searching online, other from the fact that I had posted it earlier:

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...3.story?page=1

There still is the possibility that this can mutate over time and another wave could be worse (or there could be no other wave, we don't know).
#218 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM

i have to say something about this 35,000 number of flu deaths... these numbers represent deaths that are flu -related... not neccesarily the flu itself killed these people. We can't just jump on the paranoia bandwagon here... that number is pure speculation.... i have never met a person that has died from a FLU!! never.

Secondly... noone is terribly ill in this country...it has been so mild... I would be happy to get it... i need the immunity, although i am not attending crowded places and i limit contact w/people who do.. ie. neighbors kids who attend a large public school...yet another reason that makes homeschooling the "absolute best thing" in the world ... I absolutely love it!!! No massive killings or epidemics to worry about.. among a long list of other crap this countrys' lousy school system has to offer.

The pharmecutical companies are pumping the media up ... this is BIG MONEY for them.... and your letting them have thier day... we have to stop w/this, it is so out of hand..

I think the only good thing to come of this is that more people are aware that the CDC itself has engineered a deadly strain themselves and they are greedy enough to use it.... they are not liable for anyones' injury or death!!!

They will coerce the WHO and CDC to raise pandemic alerts because if they can ... force medicate and vaccinate They will reap a harvest of profit:... Once again folks PHARMA PROFITS FROM FEAR
#219 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM

KimP- so sorry for your loss. But honestly, the reason you probably don't remember much about it is because we didn't have 24/7 news back then- Things that are not as serious today seem much worse because we are constantly bombarded with them. Many things that the media reports on constantly become self-fulfilling prophecies.

I have to disagree that the pharma companies are pumping the media up. The media doesn't need anyone to pump it up. It does a great job of instigating panic all on its own. They also tend to play fast and loose with the facts. I lived in New Orleans before, during, and after Katrina. There were so many things reported that were misleading to down right false. I have become more leery than ever of what is reported nationally.

My favorite book is "State of Fear" by Michael Chriton. Much of what he writes about is happening right now.
#220 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyOrganique View Post
This situation is scary. But I have to say that it is astonishing how the same information is presented in entirely different tones from one media outlet to another. I have stopped watching CNN because I think they are feeding hysteria by the way they are spinning the numbers.

So far, the numbers do not seem to indicate a hugely different pattern than seasonal flu. I'm taking heart in that. And I'm taking a few precautions that I wouldn't normally - staying out of densely populated areas and making my DH use Medieval Oil mix before he travels on public transport. And we're all generally taking really good care of ourselves. I'm most concerned about my elderly father who recently got over pneumonia and has to visit the hospital regularly for check ups - I don't want him anywhere near the hospital.

Dr. Mercola's article that came out yesterday helped me calm myself a bit, too.

I agree about the media. I said it in another thread but I truly believe that they are just eating this up. CNN is always terrible for this sort of stuff.

We're doing the same. DH works in an area with 300 other people; on top of that two people from his direct team have been in Mexico in the last two weeks- one is coming back, and one has been back for about a week. I got on his case last night about making sure he advocates that the company ensures that these individuals be tested.

I just got over pneumonia, so I'm concerned for myself, but have made sure that DH is taking extra care at work, and we're both just making sure we are vigilant about our health. There isn't much else we can do.
#221 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusaatemydog View Post
i have to say something about this 35,000 number of flu deaths... these numbers represent deaths that are flu -related... not neccesarily the flu itself killed these people.
I hear you on your post, but I don't like separating flu related from flu. Whether these are CASES or DEATHS is good to ferret out. But even if they are flu-related, I count that as flu itself. I mean if it weren't for the flu, then the complications or related problems might not have happened. And if someone had underlying conditions first and got the flu, flu still would have been the ultimate cause of death if the person died. Separating it to me is like saying the concussion Jane Doe dies of that she sustained in the car accident was the cause of death, not the accident. But if it weren't for the accident, the concussion would never have happened.

When someone is ill, and flu is present in addition to other illnesses (ie, pneumonia), it's pretty hard to draw a straight line down the middle. The Texas boy's death is sad, and taking 'comfort' in the fact that he seems to have had a pre-existing condition that perhaps made him more vulnerable to the flu as there have been no other confirmed US death's doesn't still negate the fact that in the end, flu was what led to his death.

(off to check out the other thread under Health)
#222 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyOrganique View Post
staying out of densely populated areas and making my DH use Medieval Oil mix before he travels on public transport.
What is Medieval oil?
#223 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmama View Post
The Texas boy's death is sad, and taking 'comfort' in the fact that he seems to have had a pre-existing condition that perhaps made him more vulnerable to the flu as there have been no other confirmed US death's doesn't still negate the fact that in the end, flu was what led to his death.
The boy was from Mexico and in Houston to seek treatment. I wonder what treatment he received? Hospitals kill an awful lot of people. This is just what they admit to because it is a guarantee that number is much higher.

A friend of mine came up positive on an HIV test. Very healthy man. He went on AZT. He immediately go very sick. His body withered away. He fought and fought and kept taking the pills that admittedly destroy the DNA. He eventually died. It was called an AIDS death not an AZT death. This happens all the time.

Every death needs to be inspected closely. Were there any medications or vaccinations or other treatments involved?

What people need to do is just look around. What do they see? What is their own experience telling them. This whole pig flu thing makes no sense to me at all.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
#224 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM

My mom just called me in a panic and told me not to go anywhere. Since there are now suspected cases of swine flu in our general area, she is terrified that the kids and I will get it since I am pregnant and asthmatic. I was all fine in the conversation until she said that her work told her that as soon as the vaccine is ready to go they will offer to their employees. And they made it sound like that would be very soon. She works for a big box chain of Home Improvement stores.

I was so shocked that I asked her if she wanted to take a vaccination that was not throughly tested after what happened with the 1976 swine flu scare? And mentioned the complications from that. I (nicely) made her promise me she won't take it, and gave her some ideas of natural things she can do to boost her immune system. She is the same person that let them give her a flu shot when she was in the hospital with a prescription drug induced hepatitis (who thinks that is a good idea, seriously!?). I wouldn't doubt her getting the shot out of fear and not telling me.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#225 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
My mom just called me in a panic and told me not to go anywhere. Since there are now suspected cases of swine flu in our general area, she is terrified that the kids and I will get it since I am pregnant and asthmatic.(
You can tell her she doesn't have to worry about the swine flu any more. They are changing the name since pig farmers are little annoyed their businesses are going down the toilet and no pigs are sick, nor are they making any people sick.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. - Oscar Wilde
#226 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss2584 View Post
What is Medieval oil?
It's an essential oil blend, I believe, the same thing as Thieves Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattershoot View Post
You can tell her she doesn't have to worry about the swine flu any more. They are changing the name since pig farmers are little annoyed their businesses are going down the toilet and no pigs are sick, nor are they making any people sick.
NPR said they were calling it 2009 H1N1 because they didn't want people in Jewish and Muslim communities to be ashamed or scared to get treatment. But yeah, I can totally see the pork industry scared of taking a huge hit.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#227 of 227 Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Since we seem to be unable to remain focused on vaccine issues I'm closing this thread. Feel free to join an existing thread on the illness/virus in H&H or one of the vaccine specific threads here in Vax.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page