Pls help-appointment tomorrow am - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got bit by my dog and have a deep puncture wound on my foot. I haven't had a tetanus shot in over 10 years and have an appointment to see my Dr tomorrow. I am nursing my 15 month old and am on antibiotics now due to a bad ear infection. I am extremely concerned about passing all of this to my daughter through breastmilk. My Dr says it is safe to get the tetanus shot while nursing. We are extremely delayed/selective vaxers and I am nervous as there is some mercury in this shot. Any thoughts on what to do? I don't want to give up bf but should I take a break from it and pump and dump? How long will it take for my body to get rid of this crap? Thanks so much!
#2 of 10 Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseMama View Post
I just got bit by my dog and have a deep puncture wound on my foot. I haven't had a tetanus shot in over 10 years and have an appointment to see my Dr tomorrow. I am nursing my 15 month old and am on antibiotics now due to a bad ear infection. I am extremely concerned about passing all of this to my daughter through breastmilk. My Dr says it is safe to get the tetanus shot while nursing. We are extremely delayed/selective vaxers and I am nervous as there is some mercury in this shot. Any thoughts on what to do? I don't want to give up bf but should I take a break from it and pump and dump? How long will it take for my body to get rid of this crap? Thanks so much!
Just to be clear, if your physician claims the tetanus vaccine could help you at this point, I would quickly find another. Only a tetanus immunoglobulin would help prevent tetanus infection at this point. Vaccines ARE NOT emergency medicine.

I would never have this conversation about a vaccine while nursing with someone so ignorant. I would want to find a practitioner in the area who has dealt with many more puncture wounds from animals to assess what your risk of of infection.

I appreciate this is scary, but you need to see if you can find someone who actually knows something about this. I would call some vets and ask for recs.

I hope you are feeling OK.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#3 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I realize you have probably already gone to your appt...Im curious what happened. There is no way Id get a tetanus vax while nursing...did your wound bleed? Good wound care is the most important factor. I also believe that a tetanus vax is good for more than 10 years...

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 PM

LOTS of peroxide to wash out a puncture wound, as well as letting it bleed for a bit, should eliminate any possibility of tetanus. Further, what is the likelihood that the dog that bit you actually has had tetanus exposure?

I would not submit to a tetanus vax, period. Tetanus is TREATABLE, not a death sentence, so I would clean the wound as much and as well as possible, make sure you cut out sugar and get plenty of whole veggies as well as extra CARBS because the body needs carbs to heal wounds. If treatment for tetanus should become necessary then I would pursue that, but I would not have a tetanus vax.

Also be sure you are replenishing your gut with probiotics and good whole foods anyway while taking abx - and check out cutting out dairy, as well as using peroxide in the ears and taking minced garlic as a natural antibiotic for ear infections. That way the abx won't be stripping your gut and your LO's. You should also load up on vit C to bowel tolerance while your wound heals.

If you've already gotten the vax, check out Dr Tenpenny's protocol for what to do when you've had to get a vax.

GL!
#5 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM

I agree with everyone else in that I would not take a tetanus vaccine, plus I would use natural healing aid for ear infection instead of abx. It works better since most abx does not get to where the infection is, and there are no side effects nor any residue in bm.
#6 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

I've heard that breast milk in the ear canal can help get rid of ear infections.
#7 of 10 Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM

I got this from Dr Tenpenny's protocol if your wound looks suspicious:
Homeopathic remedies leolum and hypericum administered when a wound looks suspicious, she mentions that they have a "track record for the prevention of tetanus for more than a century."

I agree with pp to not get the shot. You can always ask for a TIG (tetanus immunoglobulin) shot. Since today's your appt, plz keep us updated. Good luck to you.
#8 of 10 Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your responses! I told my Dr what I had learned abt the tetanus vax and she agreed that it wouldn't work in time for this particular bite. She reassured me that I wouldn't get tetanus from this dog bite but did recommend that I get a Tdap when I was done nursing. It went very well, the nurse was the one on the phone who told me I would have to get a tetanus shot and I am pleased that my Dr was upfront and not pushy with me! Thank you for your words
#9 of 10 Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseMama View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses! I told my Dr what I had learned abt the tetanus vax and she agreed that it wouldn't work in time for this particular bite. She reassured me that I wouldn't get tetanus from this dog bite but did recommend that I get a Tdap when I was done nursing. It went very well, the nurse was the one on the phone who told me I would have to get a tetanus shot and I am pleased that my Dr was upfront and not pushy with me! Thank you for your words
glad it went well

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 10 Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah me too ...those nurses can be so pushy sometimes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page