Thanks!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We claim religious, philosophical isn't an option in our state. As to why, well, we choose not to vax our children and since they aren't homeschooled we only have the options of 1. vaxxing, 2. claiming religious exemption or 3. not using public schools.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
We claim religious, philosophical isn't an option in our state. As to why, well, we choose not to vax our children and since they aren't homeschooled we only have the options of 1. vaxxing, 2. claiming religious exemption or 3. not using public schools.
Same here.

Jenn
Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

I don't need an exemption but I say "religious reasons." I feel this is something that the USA holds dear and if they strip it away then things are really bad.

I live in Ohio with all three.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Ditto...although my son is a baby, I don't need one yet, but when the time comes for school, it will be a religious exemption

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
EVC

In California, you don't really choose between them. The way the exemption is worded includes both, something like "I decline any or all of the above vaxes for religious or philosophical reasons" And then you sign. I don't remember the exact wording, but as I said, it encompasses both and you just sign without any elaboration of your reasons.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM

I claim philosophical. Here in Utah you have to specify which religoin you are. So sense my religoin has no objections to vaxines I felt that was my only option.

Here is the wording "Submit a statement that the person has a personal belief opposed to immunizations, which is signed by a parent and witnessed by the local health officer or his designee; or a statement that the person is a bona fide member of a specified, recognized religious organization whose teachings are contrary to immunizations, signed by a parent. The form for exemption is provided by the Department of Health.."
Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturemom View Post
I claim philosophical. Here in Utah you have to specify which religoin you are. So sense my religoin has no objections to vaxines I felt that was my only option.

Here is the wording "Submit a statement that the person has a personal belief opposed to immunizations, which is signed by a parent and witnessed by the local health officer or his designee; or a statement that the person is a bona fide member of a specified, recognized religious organization whose teachings are contrary to immunizations, signed by a parent. The form for exemption is provided by the Department of Health.."
The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief.

So, though that is their law "on the books" it is unconstitutional.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 AM

We are planning to homeschool, but starting at age 7 I'll have to keep immunization records in our home. We plan to use the religious exemption - 1) some of the vaccines are grown in aborted fetal cells, and since I'm prolife, that doesn't jive with me and 2) I believe that God has entrusted my children to me to protect, and since I think there is more chance of harm than good in vaccines, I feel that vaccinating would go against my mandate of motherhood. We're in NC, so I don't have to put what my specific religion is or what beliefs I hold that are anti-vax, but I do actually hold religious beliefs against vaccinating so I won't be lying by filling out that form. In NC we don't have a philosophical exemption.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaVallere View Post
We are planning to homeschool, but starting at age 7 I'll have to keep immunization records in our home. We plan to use the religious exemption - 1) some of the vaccines are grown in aborted fetal cells, and since I'm prolife, that doesn't jive with me and 2) I believe that God has entrusted my children to me to protect, and since I think there is more chance of harm than good in vaccines, I feel that vaccinating would go against my mandate of motherhood. We're in NC, so I don't have to put what my specific religion is or what beliefs I hold that are anti-vax, but I do actually hold religious beliefs against vaccinating so I won't be lying by filling out that form. In NC we don't have a philosophical exemption.
-For a religious exemption you need to be "against the practice of vaccination". If you give your reasons to be against vaccinations as:

"I'm against vaccination because they use aborted fetal cells" - This is a philosophical reason.

"I'm against pre-marital sex and some vaxes are for sexually transmitted diseases." This is a philosophical reason.

Again, you have to be against the the practice of vaccination.

-Also, you DO NOT have to be a member of a religion doctrinally opposed to vaccination. You can be Wiccan, Lutheran, Catholic, Jewish, church of the flip flops, and still claim a religious exemption do to your personal religious beliefs against the practice of vaccination.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 AM

i would never send my child to public school... and even if i worked during the day i'd school at night or hire a tutor. i homeschool, but i tried a long distance learning program and they required and exemption or shot records.. i handed in a religious exemption. I think having to base your decision on religion is a whole lot more illogical than having people make philosophical ones... and the lack of philosophical exemptions in this country is kind of hippocritical considering "Justice and FREEDOM for all" as a line of the Pledge of Allegence they drill into kids at school... at least they did w/us... i don't know if they still do that. why must we argue for the freedom to make medical decisions???

there is only religious and medical in my state
Old 06-29-2009, 05:35 PM

1325( this is my husband's number - he works in fire control and they always radio him 13-25 so that caught my eye!)

Anyway- I claim religious because my state doesn't have a philosophical exemption.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 PM

Philosophical. In TX you can pick and choose which vaccines you don't want and just get the form notarized. Super easy.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
Old 06-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Oregon only has religious, but it is worded philosophically and you can pick and choose which vaccines you want.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturemom View Post

I also live in Utah, but I never actually saw the exemeption form, I just told my son's doc that he wasnt getting shots. She threw a fit and lectured us for longer then she spent checking our son out, and left saying it was too easy in Utah to get out of our responsiblities. Then came back and said you'll need to sign this if you want him in school, made another rude comment and left.
I dont vaccinate, because I dont trust my government to know whats best for my son.

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 PM

This might help:
http://www.geocities.com/titus2birthing/VacWkst.html
Quote:
Religious rights are guaranteed in the First Amendment of the US Constitution. States must prove a compelling state interest is at stake in order to ignore this. US Supreme Court decisions have upheld the rights of individuals seeking exemptions from immunizations based upon "personal" religious beliefs. In Frazee v. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 US 829, 1989, they ruled a state may not deny an exemption simply because a person is not a member of a formal religious organization. The Supreme Court has also noted that nontraditional beliefs, including secular humanism, atheism, and nontheistic faiths, are all "religion" for the purpose of free exercise analysis. Fowler v. Rhode Island, 345 U.S. 67 (1953) held that it was "no business of the courts to say what is a religious practice or activity for one group is not religion under the protection of the First Amendment."

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Religious. My state has a philosophical exemption but I'm wary that those will start to disappear so I don't use it. I am not religious and just say that I'm not comfortable discussing my religion. Works like a charm.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 PM

In OH we're allowed to claim philosophical, so that is what we do. However, if it were not an option, I'd opt for religious.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
If this is true, why is it that WV and Miss. only have medical exemptions?

User Tag List