Vax for Mom - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm putting this in Birth because it really caught me off guard and I thought others should be aware so they can be prepared.

When I was in the hospital with DD they tried to give me a pertussis vax. I'd been awake for 60 hours and was recovering from a c-section. The nurse walked in with the shot all ready to go. Thankfully a still had a bit of my brain left despite the exhaustion. I declined and it wasn't a huge deal. She was a bit surprised that I refused. She said they are giving the shots to everyone who gives birth (at least at that hospital)

Mom to Kira March 2009
#2 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the heads-up.

I couldn't believe how difficult it was to refuse the flu shot when I was pregnant last time. The nurse put up quite an argument, while my doctor had no problem with my choice. I'll watch out for this one too.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#3 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 02:49 PM

We're offering the Tdap vaccine to all our mothers---which has tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis. But at our hospital, you have to fill out a consent form, so I'm not sure how they could just come in and have it all ready. That's a bit pushy. The speil we got was that due to the fact that you aren't supposed to get it while pregnant, it's a good time to know you're not with certainty (the same thing if a mom is non-immune or borderline immune to the MMR--we offer it.), and also due the increasing rates of pertussis in the community. It is a vaccine that they think decreases in immunity over time.

I'd say about 30% of moms accept.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#4 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM

oh yuck!
#5 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cileag View Post
We're offering the Tdap vaccine to all our mothers---which has tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis. But at our hospital, you have to fill out a consent form, so I'm not sure how they could just come in and have it all ready. That's a bit pushy. The speil we got was that due to the fact that you aren't supposed to get it while pregnant, it's a good time to know you're not with certainty (the same thing if a mom is non-immune or borderline immune to the MMR--we offer it.), and also due the increasing rates of pertussis in the community. It is a vaccine that they think decreases in immunity over time.

Would have been nice if someone had offered me an MMR last time around. it'd be one less thing for me to worry about this time. grrr....

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#6 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:

wow how can they do this? Even the studies admit that it doesn't prevent transmission...the mom is going to be a vector of the disease right when she has a vulnerable newborn. :

Don't the inserts on all these vaccines claim that they are not intended for pregnant women and that studies have not been done on the potential for fetal injury??

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#7 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM

My homebirth turned into a transfer last month, and they tried this with me, too. Told me getting it would "protect the baby" or some such BS. I declined.

Specialization is for insects. -- Lazarus Long
#8 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
Thanks for the heads-up.

I couldn't believe how difficult it was to refuse the flu shot when I was pregnant last time. The nurse put up quite an argument, while my doctor had no problem with my choice. I'll watch out for this one too.
Yeah, my OB said I was going to kill my baby if I didn't get the flu shot. Needless to say I never went back to him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatolevi View Post
Would have been nice if someone had offered me an MMR last time around. it'd be one less thing for me to worry about this time. grrr....
Yeah, me too. I had an MMR in 2000 for college, so I figured I was probably still good. I just found out I am not immune to rubella and while pregnant with my daughter I was just barely immune. I wish I had known that so I could have done something about it. I think the risks go down after the first trimester, so I am trying not to worry too much since I am almost done with that.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#9 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Here is a thread on Congenital Rubella/MMR:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=rubella

Here is some info on the DTaP:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=transmission

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=rubella

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...t=transmission

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=555012

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol6no5/pdf/srugo.pdf

Quote (page 3 of 4: Conclusion first paragraph)bolding mine

Quote:
The effects of whole-cell pertussis vaccine wane after 5 to 10 years, and infection in a vaccinated person causes nonspecific symptoms (3-7). Vaccinated adolescents and adults may serve as reservoirs for silent infection and become potential transmitters to unprotected infants (3-11). The whole-cell vaccine for pertussis is protective only against clinical disease, not against infection (15-17). Therefore, even young, recently vaccinated children may serve as reservoirs and potential transmitters of
infection.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#10 of 15 Old 07-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
Yeah, me too. I had an MMR in 2000 for college, so I figured I was probably still good. I just found out I am not immune to rubella and while pregnant with my daughter I was just barely immune. I wish I had known that so I could have done something about it. I think the risks go down after the first trimester, so I am trying not to worry too much since I am almost done with that.
Done something like what? I always turn down the Rubella titer test during pregnancy because if it shows that my titers are low there is nothing to do about it at that point anyway short of quarantining myself in the house. Or do you mean you wish you had known before you got pregnant?
#11 of 15 Old 07-04-2009, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Thanks, OP!! One more thing to add to my Birth Plan...

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#12 of 15 Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM

wow, that's crazy! anything to make an extra buck...since you're there anyway.

#13 of 15 Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am 3 weeks pp. Dh and I were just talking about vax this week and he asked why the nurses were trying to "sell" us both the tetinus shot? I did not remember but they tried pretty firmly to give us both one. We refused bc we did not see the point. I just happened to read last week or so that this is a growing trend bc you should not have it while pregnant and "here, while we know! you're not pregnant..."

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

#14 of 15 Old 07-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Don't all vaccines decrease in effectiveness over time? It's one of the arguements for natural immunity.
#15 of 15 Old 07-05-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceili View Post
Done something like what? I always turn down the Rubella titer test during pregnancy because if it shows that my titers are low there is nothing to do about it at that point anyway short of quarantining myself in the house. Or do you mean you wish you had known before you got pregnant?
I think that poster meant she wished they had offered it right after the babe was born so she would maybe be immune now. I have heard that some people just don't hold their immunity however so getting a shot them wouldn't exactly mean you would be immune now.

I had the shot in 6th grade DESPITE already having rubella. School insisted.. and my mother is one of those do anything "authority" says type of people. I have always tested immune. So I don't think it is normal for immunity to wane with Rubella.. your just not holding immunity from the shot.

ETA: Oh and I was just in the hospital for non-baby related issues. The nurse asked me if I knew when my last tetanus shot was.. I said yes.. but I am not going to get one. She said, then I suppose you don't want a pneumonia one either? Hehe.. no way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page