Have you ever been denied insurance coverage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever been denied insurance coverage because of your family's vaccination choices?

I posted this link in the health board, but I hope that it will be allowed to remain here as well because I'm really concerned with how this bill could affect non- and selective vaccinating families in the future:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...t-health-care/

"WASHINGTON -- Americans who refuse to buy affordable medical coverage could be hit with fines of more than $1,000 under a health care overhaul bill unveiled Thursday by key Senate Democrats looking to fulfill President Barack Obama's top domestic priority..."

Now this is a Fox News story and we all know which angle they're going to present. I'm not anti-Obama in the least and am certainly not trying to start any kind of political debate. But if this bill goes through it really concerns me because of the possibility of insurance companies being able to deny coverage if families don't follow the "proper" protocols on well baby checks, vaccines, and other health programs.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 AM

NO, this bill is not like that, and is probably more the like the MA plan where proof of insurance is required or one will be fined.

If we don't show proof that we pay for or receive health insurance from our employers, we have a hefty fine incurred through our state taxes. If we make under a certain amount, there are significant discounts on purchasing health care.

We don't vax, and I see no issue whatsoever with your concern.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#3 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
Have you ever been denied insurance coverage because of your family's vaccination choices?
I've not heard of it, but it's not that much of a stretch based on my review thus far. It's doubtful to come to that, IMO. I know that my state has a VERY strong grass-roots informed choice movement and they are all over every possible intrusion of privacy or mandate immediately. I know you're less fortunate in your state, but you're working on that. (good on you)
#4 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_domhan View Post
I've not heard of it, but it's not that much of a stretch based on my review thus far. It's doubtful to come to that, IMO. I know that my state has a VERY strong grass-roots informed choice movement and they are all over every possible intrusion of privacy or mandate immediately. I know you're less fortunate in your state, but you're working on that. (good on you)
I want to move where YOU live! Which state is that?

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#5 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I know a family that was recently denied health insurance (dont know from who) because the kids are not vaccinated.

IMO, they are trying to get pharma OUT of the insurance issue -

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#6 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Here is a link for the full story, oh look, same as FOX news. Here is one of many things to look forward to with nationalized healthcare.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/..._care_overhaul
#7 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasbaby7 View Post
NO, this bill is not like that, and is probably more the like the MA plan where proof of insurance is required or one will be fined.

If we don't show proof that we pay for or receive health insurance from our employers, we have a hefty fine incurred through our state taxes. If we make under a certain amount, there are significant discounts on purchasing health care.

We don't vax, and I see no issue whatsoever with your concern.
I'm not saying anything more than this bill can lead to discrimination against non-vaccinating families. I don't believe anyone should be forced to have health insurance if they choose not to, regardless of how much money one makes.

The issue that can result from mandating health care is that our personal healthcare choices can be interfered with if insurance companies decide to start denying healthcare coverage based on those choices.

I wasn't denied - but I would have been had I proceeded with a policy I was looking to purchase about 2 years ago. It was with Assurant. One of the questionsed asked of me was "Are your children up to date on all recommended vaccines?" When I answered no, she proceeded to tell me that this may be a problem in getting us approved for coverage since they reserved the right to refuse non and selectively vaccinating families.

#8 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwds View Post
Here is a link for the full story, oh look, same as FOX news. Here is one of many things to look forward to with nationalized healthcare.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/..._care_overhaul
Yeah, sorry, I didn't realize it was an AP story. So there was no need for me to imply that FOX news may have twisted the story.

#9 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
I'm not saying anything more than this bill can lead to discrimination against non-vaccinating families. I don't believe anyone should be forced to have health insurance if they choose not to, regardless of how much money one makes.

The issue that can result from mandating health care is that our personal healthcare choices can be interfered with if insurance companies decide to start denying healthcare coverage based on those choices.

I wasn't denied - but I would have been had I proceeded with a policy I was looking to purchase about 2 years ago. It was with Assurant. One of the questionsed asked of me was "Are your children up to date on all recommended vaccines?" When I answered no, she proceeded to tell me that this may be a problem in getting us approved for coverage since they reserved the right to refuse non and selectively vaccinating families.
At least here in MA, one of the few benefits of this mandated plan is that insurance coverage is forced to cover more things to qualify as appropriate care. Plans that had no drug coverage or limited mental health benefits, for example have disappeared. I can see how the MS state legislature would not be as consumer friendly as MA (as a former resident of MS myself), so perhaps there is legitimate concern in MS, but I see federal plans being more like MA.

#10 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM

i don't understand why not vaxing would have anything to do with insurance. i would think that health insurance companies are not stupid and because of that they probably know that if you don't get vaxed they don't have to pay for it.... and i doubt they are worried about the cost of paying for any illness you might get that is vaccine preventable. they know the odds are good that you won't get it and chances are they know that even if the kids do get something it is probably going to be minor.
#11 of 21 Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
i don't understand why not vaxing would have anything to do with insurance. i would think that health insurance companies are not stupid and because of that they probably know that if you don't get vaxed they don't have to pay for it.... and i doubt they are worried about the cost of paying for any illness you might get that is vaccine preventable. they know the odds are good that you won't get it and chances are they know that even if the kids do get something it is probably going to be minor.
You make some good points. I don't know the specific "why"s but my instincts tell me that profits are involved, even though the insurance companies pay out for illnesses.

I do know that insurance companies have been known to deny families because of not vaccinating. I am worried that since they are doing it now, they will make it a common practice and non-vaccinating families will be unable to get coverage, and will have to shell out $$$ for the fines. My family essentially would have be pay fines for being a non-vaccinating family.

Beyond the vaccine issue, I am against being forced into buying something that I don't want to buy.

#12 of 21 Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasbaby7 View Post
I want to move where YOU live! Which state is that?
I'm in Texas. Governor Good Hair is a bit slippery and his wife is Ms. Immunize Texas, but he is not slippery enough for PROVE and her reach is pretty shallow. There are many issues in my state, but until they are met with legal challenge, they shall sit. We've got questionable characters in public office, but those of us paying attention are all over them, and we spread our knowledge far and wide. As long as you can look aside the billboards that tell you vaccines are like hugs, it's not that bad (most people know not what they do).
#13 of 21 Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I'm in Texas. Governor Good Hair is a bit slippery and his wife is Ms. Immunize Texas
: this cracked me up. i would make a great billboard
#14 of 21 Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun View Post
Yes, I know a family that was recently denied health insurance (dont know from who) because the kids are not vaccinated.

IMO, they are trying to get pharma OUT of the insurance issue -
Was the family using a state health insurance like child health plus? I ask because I just posted about HIP telling me to bring in DD's immunization card when we apply.
#15 of 21 Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
This worries me too because many self employed people can only obtain indivual plans where they can be denied coverage.
#16 of 21 Old 07-06-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Moving to Tx in 2 weeks.

#17 of 21 Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 AM

Individual plans can (and do) exclude for not vaccinating.

I'm *hoping* that widespread, government underwritten insurance will make the restricted private plans a thing of the past.

-Angela
#18 of 21 Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM

Here in Kansas, they say that you have to fully vaccinate in order to have Medicaid. However, I haven't given my 9-month-old any of his vaccinations and they haven't been any the wiser. I also have several friends who have done the same thing.
#19 of 21 Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM

I get "friendly reminders" about the CDC's vaccination schedule and the fact that my kids are behind, but no denials yet. We may be going on medicaid for 18 months soon, but I know non-vaxers on it so i'm not worried.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#20 of 21 Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 PM

we have never heard a word from the insurance company about vaccines... neither dp nor ds ever go to the doctor for well visits or geet vaccines... personally i think the insurance company should be sending us freaking thank you notes
#21 of 21 Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmommy5 View Post
Here in Kansas, they say that you have to fully vaccinate in order to have Medicaid. However, I haven't given my 9-month-old any of his vaccinations and they haven't been any the wiser. I also have several friends who have done the same thing.
You have the right to knowledgeably not vaccinate. If it comes to it, just submit a school type exemption.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page