Polio Vaccine and Rotary Clubs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my DH joined rotary so now our money is going towards vaccine distribution in the form of polio. :

Anyway, they say that they, Rotary, has single handidly almost wiped out polio in the world.

The man who was just president of a nearby rotary knows how I feel and that all 4 of my kids are not vaccinated. And ignorantly shoved this so called fact in my face when we all went camping in May. : I let it go but steamed big time.

Well now he has transferred to my DH's rotary.

I have spoke on the subject and been researching it for 12 years now.

See they don't know the truth. Which makes me so mad as he stood on his soap box and made me look like the ignorant one. :

So I wrote this for some to give me knowledge. Have you heard about this Rotary issue and polio. What is your take? What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance.

#2 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM

I would like to see the conclusive proof that HIV is related to the Polio vax.
#3 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Can we just stick to the topic I posted please. I did not come here for a fight. Thank you.
#4 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 04:54 PM

I'm sorry, Healthy Skeptic, but you can't post an outrageous claim like that and expect it to go unchallenged. This is a public forum and when you put yourself out there, you might get responses you don't like. We vaccine-free proponents almost have to hold ourselves to a higher standard than those who promote vaccination, because everything we say is heavily scrutinized, attacked, and distorted whenever possible. Unfair, but that's the reality.

Do you have any links or evidence to show that the polio vaccine has contributed to cancer and HIV infection? I'm not attacking you, by the way--I'm a non-vaxer myself. I'd love to know more about this!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM

I don't know about HIV and the polio vax being connected, but I have read plenty on cancer and the polio vax being connected. I believe Evidence of Harm was the first in depth look at it that I read.

I do see quite a bit of Rotary clubs promoting their influence in the polio vax distribution and it does irk me, but I am not about to get into a fight, verbally or otherwise , with a group that puts so much effort into it. They sure as heck aren't going to listen to anything I say.
#6 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

yep, I am not looking to fight with them either. I probably will never say a word to them.

But i will say something to the people who listen to them. there were many people around that fire that night and I know it will come up eventually.
#7 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 PM

At the very least it would be nice for them to recognize that it doesn't come without possible side effects. They seem to be getting, at least in our area, a little over the top and acting like they are single handedly saving the entire world from all that ails it. Hopefully they aren't all like that and it's just individuals amongst the group that choose to do that. Heck, maybe we are neighbors and being exposed to the same groups.
#8 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM

You just by being you have knocked them off kilter. Their reality HAS to be right. They have to be right. There can be no detraction. No disagreement.

Resistance is futile.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#9 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

"The orgin of the AIDs virus" Scientific American 1988
"Origin and spread of AIDS" Nature 1990
"Simian Retroviruses, poliovaccine, and orgin of AIDS" Lancet 1992
"Polio vaccines and the origin of AIDS" Medical Hypothesis 1994
"The emergence of simian/human immunoeficiency viruses" AIDS Res Human Retro 1992
"Did a polio vaccine experiment unleash AIDS in Africa?" The Washington Post April 5th 1992
"Genetic organization of a cimpanzee lentivirus related to HIV-1" Nature 1990
"The primate trade and the origin of AIDS viruses." Nature 1987
"Vaccine Safety Manual" Neil Z. ****** 2008This is where I got the most valuable info from.
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...d=f:91047.wais
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...d=f:92772.wais
http://www.sv40foundation.org/CPV-link.html
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
http://www.sv40cancer.com/
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa3.htm (or that the polio vaccine was grown on these infected monkeys) stupid cdc
"Vaccination with the CHAT strain of type 1 attenuated poliomyelitis virus in Leopoldville, Belgian Congo." Bulletin of the World Heath org. 1960

I have dozens of more for sure.
#10 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
At the very least it would be nice for them to recognize that it doesn't come without possible side effects. They seem to be getting, at least in our area, a little over the top and acting like they are single handedly saving the entire world from all that ails it. Hopefully they aren't all like that and it's just individuals amongst the group that choose to do that. Heck, maybe we are neighbors and being exposed to the same groups.
lol maybe, u in MI?

They do really pat themselves on the back and start talking all big and stuff.

Let me at them.

#11 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
While attending a vaccine lecture by a leading researcher, I learned that the live polio vax has been the root of current polio cases in the US, as the serovar or strain in wild is a different one. Only four years ago did the US switch to the Inactivated vax. I even have a print out somewhere in my files of a round table discussion, I think it was from DVM magazine (doctor of veterinary medicine) and Jonas Salk was one of the participants. He said that the current cases are due to the vaccine converted to virolence.

ETA, found the article: http://www.danebytes.com/vaccine_article.htm
Quote:
Rude: Does shedding of modified live virus vaccine viruses from vaccinated animals have the potential to cause disease in non-vaccinated contact animals of the same species and/or different species?

Salk: Well, it's self-evident that this is what happens with polio. I have not seen evidence that it is of significant advantage. There's a disadvantage in the U.S. because of vaccine associated disease. In the developing countries live virus vaccines often fail because they don't always protect those who are directly vaccinated due to inhibitors in the intestinal tract. In the U.S., vaccine virus is the principal cause of continuing polio.

There was a case won by a father of a baby, he had contracted polio thirty years ago by changing the diaper of his recently vaccinated baby.
Live virus vaccines shed and he contracted it via exposure to bodily fluids containing the virus.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/health/men...rug-Maker.html
#12 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM

While attending a vaccine lecture by a leading researcher, I learned that the live polio vax has been the root of current polio cases in the US, as the serovar or strain in wild is a different one. Only four years ago did the US switch to the Inactivated vax. I even have a print out somewhere in my files of a round table discussion, I think it was from DVM magazine (doctor of veterinary medicine) and Jonas Salk was one of the participants. He said that the current cases are due to the vaccine converted to virolence.

ETA, found the article: http://www.danebytes.com/vaccine_article.htm
Quote:
Rude: Does shedding of modified live virus vaccine viruses from vaccinated animals have the potential to cause disease in non-vaccinated contact animals of the same species and/or different species?

Salk: Well, it's self-evident that this is what happens with polio. I have not seen evidence that it is of significant advantage. There's a disadvantage in the U.S. because of vaccine associated disease. In the developing countries live virus vaccines often fail because they don't always protect those who are directly vaccinated due to inhibitors in the intestinal tract. In the U.S., vaccine virus is the principal cause of continuing polio.

Recently, a case won by a father of a baby, he had contracted polio thirty years ago by changing the diaper of his recently vaccinated baby.
Live virus vaccines shed and he contracted it via exposure to bodily fluids containing the virus.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/health/men...rug-Maker.html
#13 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 PM

Oops forgot to reply about something, referring to cancer and polio vax. I am not sure- but the topic starter may have been referring to the SV40 virus. This was a virus that was part of the substrate, the material was monkey kidney and the original live virus polio vax was cultered on it. Unfortunately, this was also in the live vax. I think the scientific community hasn't really come to an agreement pertaining to it relating to cancer, but I may be wrong. There is mention of the SV40 virus in that round table discussion, Jonas Salk mentions it pertaining to the live polio vax.

Personally I think anything that deregulates the immune system so that it no longer kills cancer cells, allows cancer to grow. From abnormal hormonal levels to environmental chemical exposure, anything that deregulates the normal natural immune response to seek and destroy abnormal cells allows those cells to grow. I think that is why we cannot point the finger at one known cause, as I believe the root of the problem is an immune system that is not working properly. So whatever deregulates our immune system, and there are probably so many possibilities, could likely 'cause' cancer, yet in an indirect way. Our immune systems destroy abnormal cells on a regular basis, when it fails to do so those cells grow in number.

Again, I don't know if this is what the topic starter was referring to, just a thought though.
#14 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 PM
EVC

Just a Little Prick has some EXCELLENT information on the polio vax campaigns in Africa.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#15 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
Just a Little Prick has some EXCELLENT information on the polio vax campaigns in Africa.
What or who is just a little prick?
#16 of 27 Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy Skeptic View Post
What or who is just a little prick?
It's a book written by Peter & Hilary Butler.
#17 of 27 Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 AM

*sigh* the old polio and HIV conspiracy theory

some links to beat back the myth- I have more if anyone else wants to read them:

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102243766.html
Quote:
Applying these methods to both the gag and env trees, we estimated the time of origin of the HIV-1 Main (M) group to be near 1930, with 95% CIs essentially spanning the period from 1910 to 1950.
http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmart.../Worobey04.pdf
Quote:
This ‘OPV/AIDS theory’ claims that chimpanzees
from the vicinity of Stanleyville —
now Kisangani in the Democratic Republic
of Congo — were the source of a simian
immunodeficiency virus (SIVcpz) that was
transmitted to humans when chimpanzee
tissues were allegedly used in the preparation
of OPV6,7. Here we show that SIVcpz
is indeed endemic in wild chimpanzees of
this region but that the circulating virus is
phylogenetically distinct from all strains of
HIV-1, providing direct evidence that these
chimpanzees were not the source of the
human AIDS pandemic.
(much more in that one)

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#18 of 27 Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
*sigh* the old polio and HIV conspiracy theory

some links to beat back the myth- I have more if anyone else wants to read them:

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAb...102243766.html

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmart.../Worobey04.pdf

(much more in that one)

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#19 of 27 Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post
. Only four years ago did the US switch to the Inactivated vax. I even have a print out somewhere in my files of a round table discussion, I think it was
This is not true. The switch was made somewhere between 1993 and 1998. Since the older dd had the live and the younger had the inactivated. So more than 10 years ago.

And what the hell is a Rotary Club? Is it like the Lions Club or something? I have "heard" of it of course.. but never hear about it. Does that make sense? Hehe.
#20 of 27 Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM

A number of posts have been removed from this thread for violating MDC's User Agreement. Please keep the discussion respectful and on track so that we can keep this thread open!

Thanks for understanding!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#21 of 27 Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

So back to OP. Anyone have any info on Rotary and the truth?
#22 of 27 Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
This is not true. The switch was made somewhere between 1993 and 1998. Since the older dd had the live and the younger had the inactivated. So more than 10 years ago.
If I recall correctly, in 1997 the CDC changed the schedule to 2 doses of IPV and 2 doses of OPV, then did away with OPV in 2000.

#23 of 27 Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
If I recall correctly, in 1997 the CDC changed the schedule to 2 doses of IPV and 2 doses of OPV, then did away with OPV in 2000.
DD was born in late 98 and never had any OPV period. However I was addressing the fact that the other poster said they just did away with it 4 years ago.. so even by your schedule that was nearly 10 years ago.
#24 of 27 Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 PM

I just was repeating something I learned from Dr Ronald Schultz, if anything blame me if I didn't take notes at the lecture correctly, not him, the man is the leading veterinary vaccine researcher in the U.S. He also studies human vax, but his primary work is veterinary. He's in that roundtable discussion with Jonas Salk also.

As I said though, blame me if I gave the wrong number. My apologies.

ETA, I found some interesting info pertaining to the switch in 2000 (thank you Jugs, I just went to the CDC page) .
So then I found this in American Academy of Pediatrics. It seems the OPV was still permitted in certain circumstances in the US beyond the 2000 switch, it appears only for 6 months but then when you read the second article I am not really sure. Please read through 'Conclusions' all the way down through the end of 'Reccomendations'.
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...104/6/1404.pdf

Maybe I did hear Dr Shultz correctly (?) I don't know.

Then Johns Hopkins School of Public Health had this release in 2000:
Quote:
The Academy also allows for the use of OPV for children of parents who do not accept the recommended number of injections needed to complete the current childhood immunization schedule, but the AAP notes that OPV should not be given for the first or second dose for these reasons. The only other exception noted by the Academy is the potential use of OPV for unvaccinated children who will be traveling in less than four weeks to polio endemic countries because there would be insufficient time for administering the needed 2 doses of IPV. One wonders whether any OPV will be available for these circumstances. In the situation noted above, physicians could give a single dose of IPV and either provide parents with a second dose of IPV to take with them or make arrangements for the child to obtain the remaining doses of vaccine in the country on arrival. John Salamone, President of Informed Parents Against VAPP, has publicly criticized allowing continued use of any OPV [see New York Times achieves] because some physicians could continue to use OPV for primary immunization in infancy.
http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/All-IPV.htm
#25 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
You would be correct

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr4905a1.htm

Quote:
the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended in June 1996 a change from an all-OPV schedule for routine childhood poliovirus vaccination to a sequential IPV-OPV vaccination schedule (i.e., two doses of IPV at ages 2 and 4 months, followed by two doses of OPV at ages 12--18 months and 4--6 years). These recommendations were officially accepted by CDC and published in January 1997 (9). The sequential schedule was intended to be a transition policy in place for 3--5 years until eventual adoption of an all-IPV schedule
Quote:
Thus, ACIP recommended in June 1999 that the all-IPV schedule begin January 1, 2000

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#26 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thus, ACIP recommended in June 1999 that the all-IPV schedule begin January 1, 2000
My last vaxed daughter was born on Nov. 8th of 1998. I don't remember the exact polio schedule, doesn't it follow DPaT? She would have received her first two doses in 1999. Then possibly not received the others until after 2000? Or her doctors office knew this was coming and stopped ordering the OPV.

Of course.. I received small pox after they stop giving it because my doctor still have some. So it is possible that other children were still receiving the OPV until the doctors ran out of their stock or it expired.
#27 of 27 Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Of course.. I received small pox after they stop giving it because my doctor still have some. So it is possible that other children were still receiving the OPV until the doctors ran out of their stock or it expired.
That is what I gathered also from these sources. It sounds like the American Academy of Pediatrics permitted Peds to administer OPV until the supply ran out beyond the 2000 switch, the same with CDC, they call it "special circumstances":
Quote:
OPV should be used only for the following special circumstances:

Mass vaccination campaigns to control outbreaks of paralytic polio.
Unvaccinated children who will be traveling in less than 4 weeks to areas where polio is endemic.

Children of parents who do not accept the recommended number of vaccine injections. These children may receive OPV only for the third or fourth dose or both; in this situation, health-care providers should administer OPV only after discussing the risk for VAPP with parents or caregivers.

Availability of OPV is expected to be limited in the future in the United States. ACIP reaffirms its support for the global polio eradication initiative and use of OPV as the vaccine of choice to eradicate polio from the remaining countries where polio is endemic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page