Pregnancy & Swine Flu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband showed me a segment on the news just now. He is worried and wants me to get vaxed. They said on the news that pregnant women especially in the 2nd & 3rd trimester are most affected by swine flu, which I will be in flu season. Apparantly, 15 out of 265 deaths were pregnant women. They also said 20 percent of the deaths from Swine Flu in Brazil were pregnant women. Of course they don't say anything about the health or status of these women. It is scary, and I wasn't worried at all until I saw this segment. Does anyone have any info or links I could look at.
#2 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 AM

Personally, I'd be very worried about catching the swine flu while pregnant. Roughly 6% of swine flu related deaths have been in previously healthy pregnant women. Pregnant women only make up about 1% of the total population so this is pretty significant.

Despite being 36, having past infertility and wanting one more baby - I'm still going to wait at least a few months before trying.

If I were already pregnant, I'd probably not get the vaccination but try my best to not get infected by staying away from large public gatherings or any public place I didn't need to be. I'd also be very careful with personal hygiene and have my family be the same way. This would probably go a long way to protect and likely even more than the vaccine. The vaccine is completely untested with no safety data - very scary while pregnant!

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#3 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 02:27 AM

Even if I was open to the flu vax I have got to tell you I would never be pro vax is I was pregnant. Swine Flu or Purplepolkadot Flu...none of them worth it to me.

fwiw you can go up to vaccination archives and go to PERSONAL experiences--Search "flu"....

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#4 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 AM

I wouldn't let anyone scare me about this. There are over 6 million PREGNANT women in the U.S. alone each and every year. (http://www.guttmacher.org/in-the-know/index.html) This is a HUGE number... how many of those have died from the swine flu? In fact the total # of deaths from swine flu in general is only in the hundreds and that includes everyone!!

It is true that pregnant women ARE "MORE" at risk of complications from swine flu than other people with the virus. However, what they are NOT telling you is that the swine flu is not unique in this respect!

Pregnant women have ALWAYS been more susceptible to complications of the flu! Were you scared of being pregnant during flu season in years past? If not, then you probably needn't be overly concerned this flu season either!

Even healthy pregnant women can have medical complications from the flu. This has been known since at least 1998 when a study examined the effect of the flu on pregnant women during 17 previous influenza seasons.
http://www.pamf.org/flu/preg.html

Quote:
The study found that during flu season, pregnant women in the third trimester were just as likely to be hospitalized for heart or lung problems as women with serious, chronic medical conditions who were not pregnant. The risk increased the farther along they were in their pregnancies. Healthy women at 37 to 42 weeks of gestation were almost five times as likely to be admitted to the hospital during the flu season for heart or lung problems as women who were one to six months postpartum. Pregnant women with asthma are at particularly high risk for hospitalization during flu season.
If I were pregnant this winter, I would be practicing normal common sense hygiene like I do each and every winter, including avoiding visiting friends or family members who are ill or recently ill, washing hands often after going out in public, etc.

I will NOT let the "media" or anyone else scare me and my unborn child into being human guinea pigs for this new vaccine.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#5 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM

I just saw this on ABCnews.com:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Politic...8199396&page=1

and came over here to post it.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#6 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM

:

My MIL had abc news on this morning while I was dropping the kids off, and i saw a portion of it. Of what I saw angered me so deeply, I am still trying to recover. The fear mongering in that segment was so utterly apparent, It had me thinking twice, and I am pretty anti vaccine. The thought that millions of pregnant women are going to see that and run right out and get stuck makes me SICK. Doesn't anyone recall what happened last time they scared tons of people into getting a vaccine for this? Wonder if they mentioned the thousands of Guillian Barre Syndrom reports back in the 70s during this news clip. DOUBT IT!

I would do some serious research before injecting yourself with ANYTHING whlie you are pregnant.
#7 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM

I'm not injecting myself with anything while pregnant that hasn't been extensively tested on pregnant women and fetuses. I agree with PPs, staying home is a WAY more effective strategy than using an untested, recently developed vaccine of questionable efficacy. You can get the disease FROM the shot (in a milder way) and you can get the disease despite the shot (happens with acellular Pertussis all the time). So it doesn't make a lot of sense to put all your eggs in the shot basket anyway. I will be being VERY careful, but for me careful does not include getting experimental meds while preggo.
#8 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I am the OP and certainly not considering the vaccine at this point. Although, my husband is seriously concerned. So what are some good immune boosting ideas? I will be using extra C, Zinc, possibly Sambucus Elderbery Extract if it is safe while pregnant and possibly Congaplex if it is safe during pregnancy. I won't go out and do as much for sure once flu season hits. But I do have to go to the grocery store and church and stuff like that.
#9 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with all previous posts.

This vaccine is being rushed through safety trials. There are several very short clinical trials which just began last week, None of them are on pregnant women. Do you really want to be injected with an experimental vaccine that is not adequately tested on anyone, but not tested at all on pregnant women? That is truly being a guinuea pig.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks for asking the question! I never have/would get a flu shot but then I heard this. I was 99% "that's stupid" but I can't say there wasn't a flash though my mind about me being stupid.....

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#11 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
"We want to start re-engaging the American public and our state and local and health and private business partners in making sure we use these summer months well to prepare for what could be a serious outbreak," Sebelius said. "If it doesn't happen, we'll be fortunate and this planning won't go to waste."
Is it glaringly obvious to anyone else that this is the whole point? This is just another test run, stepped up this time, to mass produce a vaccine to an artificially generated virus within a short time of its "appearance"?

http://drtenpenny.com/a_plan_comes_together.aspx
Quote:
"In 2005, Congress allocated $3.8 billion to developers with the stated goal of being able to "distribute a vaccine to every American within six months of the onset of a pandemic." In 2006, our elected representatives went even further to ensure we are vaccinated: They created incentives for manufacturers by funding the Biodefense and Pandemic Vaccine and Drug Development Act of 2005, nicknamed BioShield II."
The real question that is more terrifying than this mild virus or even the vaccine that is being hurried through testing and bullied onto scared pregnant women is, why? What is the end game here?
#12 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
I am the OP and certainly not considering the vaccine at this point. Although, my husband is seriously concerned. So what are some good immune boosting ideas? I will be using extra C, Zinc, possibly Sambucus Elderbery Extract if it is safe while pregnant and possibly Congaplex if it is safe during pregnancy. I won't go out and do as much for sure once flu season hits. But I do have to go to the grocery store and church and stuff like that.
Here's a site you might be interested in reading: http://www.the-health-gazette.com/he...ral-antivirals

This has to do with H5N1, however, and not H1N1. Elderberry (according to this site, anyway) was contraindicated with H5N1.
#13 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, that is an interesting site. Do you think and Elderberry contraindication would be true for H1N1 too? I wonder how I would find out?
#14 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Pregnant women are more susceptible to everything.

In one month (while pregnant) I caught:

• what I believe was the Norovirus. The hospital did not name the virus; I only went to the hospital because I had been eating cold ham and thought it may by listeria.
  • Strep. My niece, whom I was living with at the time, had strep.
  • Pertussis; despite being current on the vaccine (military). I did not go to the doctor for this one, but after I did not get better by two weeks (and had some strange non-cold/flu like symptoms), I looked up the symptoms for pertussis and could check off nearly every one.
I'd actually been healthy that pregnancy, but then my father died and I flew home with my toddler for the funeral (NY in February), and stayed in a crowded home with two school aged children.

I rather quarantine myself than get vaccinated with a rushed vaccine that could have unknown health consequences for myself and my child. Does he know what happened with the 1976 swine flu vaccine? Here is an interesting 60 minutes video link.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM

and now all of the news stories are pushing antivirals for pregnant women if they think they may have h1n1. Category c, and at least one thing I read said teratogenic. But supposedly the "risks outweigh the benefits" and they are encouraging antiviral use.

Blech.

would anyone here go the antiviral route if they actually became infected? I know they are nasty, nasty, nasty and not much is known in preggo women, but wondering if anyone would bite on the "risks outweigh the benefits" *if* they contracted H1N1? Obviously prevention would be the best bet, but once you had it, would you do an antiviral while preggo?

eta: i had a horrible respiratory thing at the end of my pregnancy with DD...I kept wondering if it was pertussis...I could not shake it. My cough was very productive however, so I don't think it was pertussis. I think w/ being pregnant, and having a short torso, DD was just really pressing into my diaphragm/lungs and making it hard to shake what I had. I was coughing up phlegm for more than a month. I finally shook it not long before she was born.
#16 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebeth View Post
Here's a site you might be interested in reading: http://www.the-health-gazette.com/he...ral-antivirals

This has to do with H5N1, however, and not H1N1. Elderberry (according to this site, anyway) was contraindicated with H5N1.
From what I have read, both Elderberry & echinacea are contraindicated due to "cytokine storms."

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#17 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 06:59 PM

I think Vitamins C and D are still ok to take (and don't, as far as I know, produce cytokine storms).

As far as vaccinating while pregnant: I'm really bothered by all the scare tactics out there (I read an article on Salon that seemed to say the same thing everyone else is posting). I can't answer this question personally, not being pregnant. It just seems like desperation (i.e., an inability to know what the virus will do and a lack of time in creating a vaccine) doesn't mean rush to experiment on vulnerable populations. Recommending staying away and using Vitamin D and C would make a lot more sense.
#18 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Didn't we all see this coming? They scared us in the spring with the day and night media coverage of the mysterious "swine flu" that was killing at a rapid rate. Now they are gearing up for their vaccine campaign for the fall. They want to scare everyone into getting the vaccine. It looks to me like a lot of people stand to make a ton of money this fall when the sheeple get in line for their vaccine.

Now I am not trying to downplay the swine flu. I think that personal hygiene is very important and we will be as vigilant with it as we always are. We will not be getting vaccinated.

A brand new vax with little to no studies especially long term studies is just too much of a risk for anyone IMO. Who know's what type of side effects will come from this vaccine? I don't even want to imagine.

I don't like it one bit

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#19 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 PM

They did a piece on it on NPR tonight. This whole thing has me on edge (and I am not even pg, though my sister is). How can they recommend this not even testing for safety on pg women and unborn babies? I just cannot believe it.

I wish this would just go away

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#20 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 08:23 PM

Please remember to remain focused on vaccine related issues in this forum & continue any conversations about other treatments etc in Health & Healing. Thank you all!
#21 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC article
Mom-to-be Sivan Berman-Marciano said Tuesday she'll indeed opt for a swine flu vaccination if her doctor recommends it.

"If it's going to help not to have the swine flu and keep my baby safe, I will take it," Berman-Marciano said.

"I'm much more worried now than I was before getting pregnant because now, it's not only me, it's the baby also," she added.
Oh, and AFTER you get this completely brand-new, untested vaccine, you good mother you, make sure you birth in the hospital with all the people that DO have H1N1 around, because doing anything other than that would make you a bad mommy from the start. And then we can give your newborn the shot too, cuz you wouldn't want your newborn to DIE from this, would you now, good mommy?

There is not once chance in hell I, or my LO, will be getting this shot. I will likely, however, remain in my home with my own germs thank you very much, and avoid most public contact for the next three months. And this completely solidifies the homebirth decision for me. No way in HELL am I subjecting my baby to 1) a new vaccine and then 2) hospital germs in the midst of this "pandemic."

I am LIVID about the scare tactics. There has not been one article I've read that said "here is what the vaccine does, what exactly the benefit is, and here is what the risks are, of both the vaccine and the virus to you and baby." Instead it's all "some moms are worried but they need to understand that would be bad mommy-ing."

Seriously, I'm so pissed right now. I can't WAIT for the first "helpful" person to tell me I'm a bad mother for not getting the shot. It's not going to be pretty.

(I may be having a rough hormone day.)

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#22 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I heard the piece on NPR this evening and was just like, right, how about... NO! Granted, I'm due on the 11th, so it won't be out while I'm pregnant, but theres no way in hell that anyone in my family is getting this shot. No freaking way. The normal flu shot is worthless, and THIS one is totally, completely, 100% untested. And just... yeah.
#23 of 141 Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 PM

I was so mad when I saw the report on abc last night. Then today they had another that was even scarier! It must be good for their ratings too. I already got from a doctor during my last pregnancy that I was going to "kill my baby" because I wouldn't get the regular flu shot. I am sure there is going to be so much pressure on pregnant women this fall.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#24 of 141 Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
#25 of 141 Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM

My whole theory about this vaccine is.. vaccines and pharmaceuticals should not ever be advertised or used in propaganda .. the fact that they are coercing people using fear of a disease that may very well be purposely created to profit off of the cure.. The giant list of possible unknowns.. the adjuvants..etc etc. There are no mass fatalities or deaths.. few deaths compared to the billions involved does not validate this propaganda scare tactic to vaccinate everyone.. this will do more harm to an individuals health than a the flu..it is untested and this blind faith people are taught to have is just disgusting and unethical.

Any push for a vaccine should be a private discussion between you and your physician, not on mass media outlets, the fact that this is mass media should tell people something is very wrong. there are also no good reason for vaccine registries.. they are only there to force compliance and profit.. whether or not you have a vaccine should have no influence on your treatment especially when you contract the vaccine preventable disease..it obviously hasn't worked at that point and being that they are never safe or 100% effective invalidates the need for registries that can be an invasion of privacy or that info can be used against you to keep you out of public schools activities etc or a cause for a doctor to deny you medical services

i would take extra precaution around other children while preg, and be very diligent about my health, nutrition and hygiene, that will be more effective than a live vaccine or one with squalene...the chances of getting sick and suffering side effects.. well i consider that safer than taking an untested vaccine. Pharma needs to be banned from advertising and it should be illegal for a corporation to lobby government... this should be a government by the people not big corporations.

people who are pharma executives need to be banned from government positions, they need to stay corporate the conflict of interest is causing the spread of disinformation and lives for profit. Corporate lobbyists should not exsist! They do not serve the public, obviously they are serving themselves.. very big portions. Leaving us with fewer and fewer rights.

if you work government you don't work corporate and vice versa.. but the way things are now .. it should be illegal.
#26 of 141 Old 07-31-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
I was so mad when I saw the report on abc last night. Then today they had another that was even scarier! It must be good for their ratings too. I already got from a doctor during my last pregnancy that I was going to "kill my baby" because I wouldn't get the regular flu shot. I am sure there is going to be so much pressure on pregnant women this fall.
Someone should take that doctors license away.. that is completely unethical. since no one is liable for the damage... noone should be coerced to take one..
#27 of 141 Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM

I would never let them inject me with any vaccination while being pregnant (and even not being pregnant too.) There is so much crap in those vaccinations it's ridiculous!The government is trying to bully and scare everyone into getting this horrible vaccine just so they can make billions off of it. I can see right through it.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#28 of 141 Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 PM

I am undecided on the vaccine, and my hope is that I will be able to wait a few months into flu season and see how severe the outbreak is. If it is really truly awful, I would consider getting the vaccine.

We would struggle with prevention. I work outside the home and come into contact with wuite a few people. DH tays hoem with our toddler, and it is a long cold winter here. I just can't see them staying at home all winter. They would both go off the wall. In a typical winter week they go to library storytime and an indoor playground, both of which are germ factories. So I feel like we will be exposed quite a bit.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#29 of 141 Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusaatemydog View Post

i would take extra precaution around other children while preg, and be very diligent about my health, nutrition and hygiene, that will be more effective than a live vaccine or one with squalene...the chances of getting sick and suffering side effects.. well i consider that safer than taking an untested vaccine. Pharma needs to be banned from advertising and it should be illegal for a corporation to lobby government... this should be a government by the people not big corporations.

people who are pharma executives need to be banned from government positions, they need to stay corporate the conflict of interest is causing the spread of disinformation and lives for profit. Corporate lobbyists should not exsist! They do not serve the public, obviously they are serving themselves.. very big portions. Leaving us with fewer and fewer rights.

if you work government you don't work corporate and vice versa.. but the way things are now .. it should be illegal.
Well said! Why should anyone trust government when there exists huge conflict of interest??

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#30 of 141 Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm wondering if there are any other pregnant moms who won't be getting the vaccine for H1N1?

My husband and I had a long talk about it. We are pro-vaccination and realize pregnant women are at a higher risk for maternal death, stillbirth, and spontaneous miscarriage. But we are very disappointed the H1N1 vaccine testing is being fast-tracked and even though this is the flu, it is a completely different strain and they have no idea the short-term and long-term effects this would have on pregnant women. To top it off, the fact the US gov't is giving itself and vaccine manufacturers blanket protection from lawsuits making us feel like there is a huge potential for medical safeguards to be overlooked.

If you aren't going to get it, like myself, how will you be protecting yourself from H1N1 exposure?

I was thinking I could still go to public places but no crowded places where people can sneeze and cough on me. I'd have to bring lots of hand sanitizer and wash my hands frequently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page