Single dose vs. multi dose vaccines - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm confused about the difference between single and multi dose vaccines. I hear people say that the single dose ones are safer, but I can't seem to find any information that explains why. Our pediatrician only gives single dose vaccines and he says there is no aluminum in them, which I doubt. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Sarah
#2 of 13 Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM

from what i've read/been told, there are more perservitives in multi-dose vax. but i don't have any direct link right now, my computer crashed and i lost it all
#3 of 13 Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Multi dose vaccines contain more junk than just one vaccine. Take for example, common things in vaccines:

*aluminum hydroxide

* aluminum phosphate

* ammonium sulfate

* amphotericin B

* animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,

* dog kidney, monkey kidney,

* chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg

* calf (bovine) serum

* betapropiolactone

* fetal bovine serum

* formaldehyde

* formalin

* gelatin

* glycerol

* human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)

* hydrolized gelatin

* mercury thimerosol (thimerosal, Merthiolate(r))

* monosodium glutamate (MSG)

* neomycin

* neomycin sulfate

* phenol red indicator

* phenoxyethanol (antifreeze)

* potassium diphosphate

* potassium monophosphate

* polymyxin B

* polysorbate 20

* polysorbate 80

* porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein

* residual MRC5 proteins

* sorbitol

* tri(n)butylphosphate,

* VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells, and

* washed sheep red blood

and multiply that.

And ask your doctor to see the product inserts, your doc is most likely wrong.

DS 5-11-06
#4 of 13 Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM

My biggest issue with the multi-dose ones are that if there is a reaction you will have no idea what it was to. I also think it masks to parents how much is actually being injected into their children. "Three needles" doesn't sound as bad as "seven vaccines" all at once.

Where I live DTaP-IPV-Hib is standard, and given along with Pneumoccocal and Meningalcoccal. Even if I were to vax, there is no way I would give all of that at one time, to a two-month-old infant, no less.

ETA: I have never actually done the math to see if the adjuvants/aluminum/preservatives/various other crap in multi-doses are actually greater than the sum of its parts. My research led me down the road to no-vax instead of selective vaxing, so it was never a decision I had to make. Something to carefully look into and consider though if you decide to vaccinate.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#5 of 13 Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
My biggest issue with the multi-dose ones are that if there is a reaction you will have no idea what it was to. I also think it masks to parents how much is actually being injected into their children. "Three needles" doesn't sound as bad as "seven vaccines" all at once.

Where I live DTaP-IPV-Hib is standard, and given along with Pneumoccocal and Meningalcoccal. Even if I were to vax, there is no way I would give all of that at one time, to a two-month-old infant, no less.

ETA: I have never actually done the math to see if the adjuvants/aluminum/preservatives/various other crap in multi-doses are actually greater than the sum of its parts. My research led me down the road to no-vax instead of selective vaxing, so it was never a decision I had to make. Something to carefully look into and consider though if you decide to vaccinate.
You are misunderstanding the original question.. I believe she is asking about single-dose VIALS compared to multi-dose VIALS ... a single vial (it is in a tiny glass container with a rubber top or something so the needle can poke through) contains a vaccine intended to be used in one injection into one person. It could contain one vaccine, like polio for example, or it could contain 3 vaccines like the DTaP for example (which contains diptheria, tetanus, and polio vaccines).

The multi-dose vials contain enough vaccines for 10 people each. So when they are done injecting you, they save the vial for the next person, inject a new needle into it etc... these vials should ALWAYS be shaken well before each use, to disperse contents equally.

YES there ARE more preservatives in the multi dose vials than in a single dose vial. There has to be because once a needle is poked into it, it is no longer a sterile environment, and the preservatives are needed to keep bacteria from growing in it for the next people. It does not mean the single dose vial is completely safe or does not have aluminum, but it is safe to say that they are the SAFER alternative of the two and in general have LESS preservatives than the multi dose vials.

The worry with a multi dose vial is if it is not shaken each time, the contents could settle. It is possible one person out of the 10 (or a few people) could get a much bigger percentage of preservatives (or other ingredients in the vaccine) than the other people. (the other people would end up getting less of course) - even if it was shaken perfectly all 10 times, one would end up getting more preservatives than if one had used vaccine from single dose vial.

As far as whether or not there is aluminum in the particular vaccine you will be using, you would need to ask for the manufacturers insert (ALWAYS ask for this in advance of your appt and read it well so you know about what will be injected into your child on your next appt) which states the brand name (Daptacel for example) and in addition to reading the insert you can research elsewhere to compare your brand to others to find the best choice (if you are firmly commited to vaxing) there are some brands that are higher than others in terms of aluminum.
prosciencemum likes this.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#6 of 13 Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachthief View Post
I'm confused about the difference between single and multi dose vaccines. I hear people say that the single dose ones are safer, but I can't seem to find any information that explains why. Our pediatrician only gives single dose vaccines and he says there is no aluminum in them, which I doubt. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Sarah

Yes there is aluminum used in vaccines!! They are either lying or perhaps he MEANT to say "mercury" ... mercury supposedly is used only in TRACE quantities in vaccines today (but there is no law regulating or mandating this, it is completely voluntary from the companies) and the drs basically overlook the trace amounts (since they are much less than what they used to be) and say there is NONE.

There most definitely is aluminum although not in every single vaccine. Some particular vaccines do not use aluminum.

For example... and I'm a little rusty on this so someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe HIB is not supposed to have any aluminum in it (no matter the brand) while DTaP for example always has aluminum, but the level could be "low" or "high" depending on which brand is used at your particular dr office)

There are certainly other questionable contents but I focus only on aluminum here because it was mentioned in the original question.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#7 of 13 Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it's the single dose VIALS that I was referring to, thanks. I suspect he meant, or thought I was referring to, mercury, since that seems to be what most people are concerned about. I know that the aluminum is a necessary part of how the vaccine works, so I didn't see how there could be any difference.
#8 of 13 Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM

Oops, sorry. My bad. Not much sleep happening around here lately.

The multi-dose vials definitely have a lot more crap in them. Go with single-dose for sure if you are going to vax.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#9 of 13 Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Multi dose contain preservatives.  Many of those preservatives are derived from mercury, very harmful.  Single dose vials do not need the preservative.  Thus being much safer.

#10 of 13 Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Aluminium is usually in vaccines as an adjuvant (something to help stimulate the proper immune response) not a preservative, so it shouldn't matter if the vaccine is multi vial or not.

Were you talking about flu vaccines? The only flu vaccines with thimerosol (a mercury salt) as a preservative any more are those in multi dose vials.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#11 of 13 Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
The risks with multi-dose vials are

- that the person drawing up the dose won't clean the top properly, thus introducing a contaminant into the solution

- that the person drawing up the dose will do so incorrectly, and give too much or too little to the patient (single dose vial one vial = one dose)

- in a clinic situation with multiple patients one after the other there is the possibility of the same needle/syringe being used for more than one person. It is rare but has happened. It is much less likely in a doctor's surgery scenario.

- the vial could be left unrefrigerated for longer than recommended. Single vial, easier to throw away, multi vial represents more waste

In my opinion there is no place for multi-dose vials of any drug or vaccine. We have moved completely away from them for everything else for the reasons I have listed above.

Fortunately they are almost unheard of in Australia these days. The only time I have seen them (and I have been in health care for about 20 years now) was the year after H1N1. There were multi-dose flu vaccines floating around then. I wasn't working but I know because DH refused to have his flu vax from a multi-dose vial.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#12 of 13 Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The difference between a single dose vial and multi-dose vial is simple. All multi-dose vials contain thimerosal, which contains mercury. In the United States, most vaccines now are only supplied in single dose vials. A big exception is flu vaccines. The majority of available flu vaccine doses come from multi-dose vials. Another exception is some tetanus and meningococcal vaccines.

The purpose of the thimerosal (mercury) in the multi-dose vials is to kill the bacteria that is introduced into the vials as a result of more than one needle insertion into the vial. Multi-dose vials contain 10 doses, so each needle insertion is a chance for contamination to occur.

#13 of 13 Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 PM

I think the multi-dose vials are probably popular for flu shots from a supply chain perspective. Millions of doses must be distributed rapidly. One multi-dose vial of flu vaccine is equal to ten prefilled syringes. The drug company has to fill and label all those syringes and put them in a cardboard box with ten little individual compartments. This takes more time and resources for the drug company, and takes up more space to store and ship. Versus filling one vial and putting it in one box. I would be very surprised if multi-dose vials were not, as a consequence, significantly cheaper for the immunizing organization, and they also take up less space to store once they are at their destination. True, the immunizers need to procure their own syringes and needles, instead of only needing the needles for the prefilled syringes. But syringes are cheap as crap and you don't have to store them in the fridge, so this isn't a big deal. The only drawback from a logistical standpoint, as discussed by above posters, is the burden on the immunizer to draw up the shot from the vial, and the potential for error introduced at this step.

Personally, as an immunizer, I like prefilled syringes for this reason, since they are much easier for me to work with. It doesn't take THAT long to draw up a shot from a vial, true, but over the course of multiple shots that time really adds up, and I have a lot of other demands on my time as well. I do idly wonder if the amount of money my employers save on the multi-dose vials is offset by the cost of our time to draw up the doses. 

We get single-dose vials of some vaccines, and those annoy me! If we're going to get a single dose, it would be so much easier to have it in a pre-filled syringe, and the one I'm thinking of is available in that form. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page