Dr Sears on why drs kick non-vaxing parents out of their practice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.thehealthybelly.com/healt...&sub_tab_id=20
#2 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
... the HMO plans that they contract with do chart reviews and patient surveys at the end of each year. If their office scores high enough on these reviews, the HMO plan gives them a several thousand dollar bonus. ... One of the requirements for a patient’s chart to pass the test is that they are fully vaccinated.
Nothing new unfortunately! Pediatricians are selling their little patients down the drain for a few thousand dollars of fiat money. Shame!
#3 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Thank you for posting this!!!
#4 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Yes, thank you!! I hear a lot in this forum about docs getting "kick-backs" for vaxing, but this is the first time I've seen actual proof of it.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 PM

Wow! That is great! I read on here several times that doctors do NOT get bonuses/kickbacks for having kids vaccinated, and I always thought they did. Thank you for posting this, as now we have proof! )
#6 of 18 Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Nothing new unfortunately! Pediatricians are selling their little patients down the drain for a few thousand dollars of fiat money. Shame!
That's capitalism, unfortunately.
#7 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarai View Post
That's capitalism, unfortunately.
....Or at least capitalism when applied to health care. I have nothing against the free market, but when combined with health care it simply. does. not. work.

Capitalism is based on an incentive to make money. Health care needs to be based on an incentive to make and keep people healthy. If you're profiting from treating, vaccinating, and medicating the sick, what incentive is there to keep them in a perpetual state of good health?

Despite some good-hearted health care providers out there, the two interests--making money and making people healthy--are just too disparate to work together.

If our health care system were not based on a capitalist system, I wonder what the vax schedule would look like....

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 PM

This confirms what I've always suspected. Thanks for posting it here.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#9 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
....Or at least capitalism when applied to health care. I have nothing against the free market, but when combined with health care it simply. does. not. work.

Capitalism is based on an incentive to make money. Health care needs to be based on an incentive to make and keep people healthy. If you're profiting from treating, vaccinating, and medicating the sick, what incentive is there to keep them in a perpetual state of good health?

Despite some good-hearted health care providers out there, the two interests--making money and making people healthy--are just too disparate to work together.

If our health care system were not based on a capitalist system, I wonder what the vax schedule would look like....

It may not be that different. Most other countries have National Health Care and their vax schedules are fairly intense (although not as intense as here). Most countries do not require vaccines for school either, but despite that fact, their rates are still pretty high. I think most people are just brainwashed to believe that vaccines are God's gift to modern medicine and they are necessary and GOOD!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#10 of 18 Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Our Ped (after YEARS of respecting parent's decisions in that aspect) JUST started to kick parents from his practice.

Does anybody know whether malpractice insurance recently "upped" their "requirements" for their Doctors? Because this community is pretty much in uproar among non/vaxers/selective vaxers because for years this Doc was none to respects parent's decisions.

I wonder what prompted the sudden 180 degree change. He obviously got along pretty well for a while without the "bonus"- why the sudden change now??
#11 of 18 Old 08-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I think ours is almost exactly the same as yours, to tell the truth.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 18 Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, thank you!! I hear a lot in this forum about docs getting "kick-backs" for vaxing, but this is the first time I've seen actual proof of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey05 View Post
Wow! That is great! I read on here several times that doctors do NOT get bonuses/kickbacks for having kids vaccinated, and I always thought they did. Thank you for posting this, as now we have proof! )
Well, I don't know that I would call this "proof" as it's just an article on a webpage saying "another dr told me..." I'd like to get ahold of the HMOs' written policy on chart reviews, or perhaps the contract between the HMO and the Dr's office. Those things can't be "secret", so I bet with enough searching, they can be found.

I don't consider this proof enough to spread around as anything more than just yet more suspicion. I, personally, think that drs are getting pressure at least, if not down right incentives, but I've yet to see the "proof".

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#13 of 18 Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Well, I don't know that I would call this "proof" as it's just an article on a webpage saying "another dr told me..." I'd like to get ahold of the HMOs' written policy on chart reviews, or perhaps the contract between the HMO and the Dr's office. Those things can't be "secret", so I bet with enough searching, they can be found.

I don't consider this proof enough to spread around as anything more than just yet more suspicion. I, personally, think that drs are getting pressure at least, if not down right incentives, but I've yet to see the "proof".
:

i've seen several doctors post that though they get lower insurance rates they still don't make their patients vax. just find a ped that doesn't if that concerns you. if enough parents do it, then they'll follow the money

eh. who needs a signature?
#14 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Does anybody know whether malpractice insurance recently "upped" their "requirements" for their Doctors? Because this community is pretty much in uproar among non/vaxers/selective vaxers because for years this Doc was none to respects parent's decisions.
Which state are you in? Depending on how each state runs their P4P program, he may not get a bonus if his compliance rate isn't high enough.

#15 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post

Its called Pay For Performance (P4P). Each state sets their own goals for physician's to recieve an annual bonus, one of which is a high vaccination rate in their practice.
http://www.leapfroggroup.org/compendium_dt_home/4692933

In NY for example, one of the Medicaid plans pays an annual bonus of $200 for each 2-year-old who is fully-vaccinated on schedule; if the child is delayed or skips a vaccine, no bonus is given at all. That may not sound like much money, but even for a small paractice, if there are say... 10 2-year-olds, that $2000 can buy a nice piece of office equipment.

#16 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
Which state are you in? Depending on how each state runs their P4P program, he may not get a bonus if his compliance rate isn't high enough.
His office is in Maine. But his compliance must have been awful for years because he supported non vaxers for years in their decision. Now it's a sharp 180 degree turn, after years off being now for the MD you could trust in that aspect. Bizzare.
#17 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post
Its called Pay For Performance (P4P). Each state sets their own goals for physician's to recieve an annual bonus, one of which is a high vaccination rate in their practice.
http://www.leapfroggroup.org/compendium_dt_home/4692933

In NY for example, one of the Medicaid plans pays an annual bonus of $200 for each 2-year-old who is fully-vaccinated on schedule; if the child is delayed or skips a vaccine, no bonus is given at all. That may not sound like much money, but even for a small paractice, if there are say... 10 2-year-olds, that $2000 can buy a nice piece of office equipment.
How anyone could look at that and believe it to be ethical is totally beyond me. Doctors get paid to medicate children. Putting it baldly, that's what this means. And yet we're called paranoid for pointing out the blatant, obvious, incredibly dangerous conflict of interest. :

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#18 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
His office is in Maine. But his compliance must have been awful for years because he supported non vaxers for years in their decision. Now it's a sharp 180 degree turn, after years off being now for the MD you could trust in that aspect. Bizzare.
Maine has been participating in Pathways To Excellence for a while now, which awarded ribbons for meeting certain criteria (a pediatric vaccination rate of at least 90% being one of them), and this past spring Maine also began participating in Pay For Performance. I'd have to do a lot of googling to get an accurate figure for how much P4P awards, but if I recall correctly, their state Medicaid program awards about $4000/year for each Medicaid patient in the practice who meets the P4P goals.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page