Any military personnel here trying to refuse flu vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Well I know this has been talked about, but for those of you who are active military or are married to an active duty member, and you are trying to refuse the flu vaccine, how do you go about this? My husband is coast guard and he would like to not get the flu vaccines anymore but he is not sure how to go about this.. I dont think he wants to file a religious exemption and from what it sounds like , that is really hard to get any way, (was reading an article about a CG officer who had to file a case in court). Is there some other way to do this that I am missing?? I really appreciate any suggestions!

Jennifer
#2 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 11:02 AM

The only way to refuse a vaccination (without a waiver) is if the order to get it is illegal.

http://www.mvrd.org/showpage.cfm?ID=26
#3 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Suddenly develop an egg allergy maybe?

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

THanks for your help...

Pirogi, I noticed that in that article it says that the vaccine must be proven safe. I am wondering if the short term clinical trials of the H1N1 vaccine will be considered enough to prove it to be safe?? I wouldnt think so...

My husband was thinking of possibly just not going for the vaccine and see what happens... Maybe they wouldnt notice? Would be nice! lol
#5 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM

My husband is Navy and I've been trying to get him to skip the flu vaccine for years. I did my thesis on vaccinations & the military and what I found out through research & interviews is that it all depends on your command!

I talked to several service members who simply never showed up for the vaccine and no one said anything. Others were actually able to get someone to update their shot record without actually getting it (this isn't as common though). Others were able to get around it by either rescheduling or making up some sort of excuse. It all depends on your superiors and if they're keeping track of everything.

My husband tells me it's impossible to get around getting the flu vaccine, he says things have changed and it's not as easy as it used to be. There are 2 types of exemption waivers: medical and religious. In my research I found no one who was successfully able to get a waiver. Those who try are looked down upon. It's frustrating and sad but unfortunately your husband might have to get it. I would have him reschedule or simply not show up and see what happens.
Arlii
#6 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks arli. I think we will just try the not showing up and see if maybe they wont notice!! I was also thinking that he could tell them that he had some really bad side effects the last time he got it.. I dont know if that would make a difference or not...
#7 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen78fl View Post
I noticed that in that article it says that the vaccine must be proven safe. I am wondering if the short term clinical trials of the H1N1 vaccine will be considered enough to prove it to be safe?? I wouldnt think so...
That might be an argument that could be used, but it would most likely have to be argued by an attorney after a suit had been filed. If your husband chooses to confront the issue directly and claim illegality, I would recommend he immediately requests legal representation from his Area Defense Counsel (or whatever the legal system is called in his branch), or else hire a civilian attorney.

Around here vaccines are tracked very stringently. Not showing up would only work for a little while. Then you would to report to the Commander.
#8 of 8 Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

thanks pirogi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page