TB test--did you have any side effects? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to get a TB test recently for my work--it was required--and I had side effects. These included a stuffy nose/inflamed throat and very oddly, a very sore shoulder on the same arm that the test was given in. I have never had any of these symptoms before. I never get colds, flu, etc. and I have never had shoulder pain so this is very odd. All these symptoms started later that day after the TB test or the next day.

I really did not want to get this test, and am quite disturbed by these reactions.

I remember getting a TB test every year as a kid at the pediatrician--it was the tine test with the prongs.

In general I am 100% against vaccines but this TB test was a requirement for my job. I feel like I need to detox from it or something.

Any thoughts?
#2 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM

My sister recently had the TB test for a new job. She started feeling ill as well. Stuffy nose, scratchy throat. She chalked it up to seasonal allergies (although when we checked on weather.com it said the allergen count was low for the past couple days). I never put two and two together, but I'll bring it up to her. Very interesting.

Before I forget, she did start on a heavy Vit D supplement for 3 days and felt much better by the time it was done. 50,000 IUs of Vit D3 for 3-5 days might help you feel better.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I had the TB test plus BCG vaccination as a young teen and from then until my early twenties I had chronic sore throats.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM

i've had it twice and never had any side effects. i know that probably doesn't help you but i figured i should put it out there

eh. who needs a signature?
#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Many people on MDC avoid it because of the phenol. You might want to google it and see it that is a listed side effect.

For the future there is a TB test that can be done through a blood draw but it can be difficult to find a lab and is pricey. Also some states allow people to opt out of TB testing for religious or personal beliefs.
#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to get the blood draw instead but my employer would not allow it. I am very concerned about the phenol in the TB test. I could have just gotten a chest x-ray and avoided the TB test but I figured the radiation would be worse than what is in the TB test. The worst part is I have to get another one because it's a "2-part" TB test. My doctor had never heard of a 2-part TB test, but apparently it is common in health care settings. I am worried about getting the second one. The upper arm and shoulder pain is what is really worrying me. I am talking about aching in the joint and upper arm muscle, as if I got a vaccine there. However, the TB test was on the forearm, of the same arm.

I don't know how I can get out of this second one--I don't think they allow exemptions. I have even considered not taking the job because of these TB tests. Any thoughts?
#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 03:57 PM

hmm, I never heard of a 2 part either. I have been getting it for years, every year, due to my job and never had a reaction like that or heard of anyone having one like that. Could it be due to the nurse that administered it to you?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page