Is Flumist contagious or not? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Well I am kind of confused on this issue. My husband has to get flu shots/mist being in the military.. Last year he got the flu mist when I was pregnant and I was kind of worried that I would end up getting the virus from him but luckily I didnt.. With my 14 month old DD and 5 year old son though , I am worried that they could pick up a virus from him getting the flumist, especially my daughter since she is youngest. I have heard in different articles that persons receiving the flumist should not be aroudn those with weakened immune systems for up to 3 weeks. My son has immune system problems, not sure if my daughter could also... It is lucky that my son did not get sick from it last year.... Here is one other thing I read

The MMR, rotavirus, shingles, intranasal influenza and varicella vaccines can all be given to people who are living in the same home as someone with weakened immunity. Although trace amounts of these live vaccine viruses can be detected for about two weeks in the throat of a vaccinated child, they are not contagious. The viruses that show up are so weakened, and exist in such miniscule amounts, that they do not endanger family members.

Though Im not sure I trust this website bc they also recommend for pregnant women to get the flu vaccine. I dont think that is a good idea...

What do you all think? Thanks

Jennifer
#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Yes, it can be contagious to immunosupressed people.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#3 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Last year the insert said not to give it to babies under 2yrs. I don't know why the rec preg women to get a flu shot-where's the study on the effects of the fetus?
I read a whole bunch last year about the % of catching the flu via flumist. I think the odds were 25%? Anyhow, both my boys played for about 2hrs with 2 kids who had just gotten the flumist right before the playdate. Wouldn't you know the next day first one, then the other was sick. I thought it sort of odd they got sick the next day.
#4 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
#5 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Flu mist = live virus so yes it is contagious to people. After the school did their flu mist/vax thing last year they had to shut the school down for several days due to the flu :

flu shot = dead virus so cant catch it from that.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone. thats pretty much what I thought.
#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Jen, back at Vandenberg they gave the option (of course not known to the public, your DH has to ask) to get Flumist or a flu shot. There is no way out, you gotta get one of those. But the shot is at least not contagious.
They also accepted a paper from the health department - a friend got a flu shot there since they had the mercury free ones and had it put in paper with he sticker from the vial to prove the shot.
They have to offer the shot on base as active duty members who have immunocompromised family members at home cannot get flumist. We say DS was a preemie and counts as such (he's healthy as a horse of course, but none of their business).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page