Flumist to be given at school...help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I've heard a lot of "any parent who doesn't give their kid the h1n1 should be charges with neglect and abuse" sort of talk from parents around me. I feel like they hope my kid(s) will end up very ill just to prove they were right.
INSANE!!!

And so what if they get sick? Swine Flu is not as dangerous as they are making it out to be...The gov't knows how to use the fear factor to get us to do what they want, turn on each other, and take their influence to the extreme...

I just posted this to my local tribe and wonder if anyone else is doing/thinking the same...I want to inform my school principal that this is risky, but then again, he's gov't too...gov't schools dressed up in pretty colors and cartoon characters are still just that...gov't schools...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Our school sent out an email that they were working with the county health department to set up a flu clinic. I sent back an email telling him (super intendant) that if it was during school hours that I would keep my daughter out of school that day to avoid any confusion or accidents. His response was "Thanks for the vote of confidence." I sent another one back outlining my concerns and he sent another sarcastic email back stating how "of course" it would not be during school hours and "of course" they would only do it with parental consent. How the hell am I to know that it would "of course" be after school hours? He did not say that in the first global email.

That said, DH works for the US. District Court and they shot flu mist up everyones (everyone being those who wanted it) noses in the Jury Assembly Room last week and are going to offer it again next week. In the JURY ASSEMBLY ROOM! So this live virus is going to hang around there for weeks and get another shot to make sure it hangs around there long and people will be forced to go hang out there for who knows how long while they pick jurors? Bah.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
[Admin note: Quote edited because original post was deleted.]

Hi there!

Obviously you are new here. Let me farmiliarize you with the posting guidelines. I suggest you actually take a minute and read them (which you obviously haven't) because your post is inappropriate and offensive. And you CAN GET THE FLU from a person who has received flumist since it is a live vaccine and sheds. Even the package insert admits this. Admittedly the liklihood of this happening is small (2.4%), it is still possible.

you do realize you are responding to a 3 year old thread right?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
[Admin note: This quote was removed because the original post was removed.]

It is against the forum guidelines to name call (crazy) or suggest unvaccinated children are a danger to others (which they are not.  Sick people are a danger to other people, and sick people should stay home.)  Here are the forum guidelines:  http://www.mothering.com/community/a/vaccination-forum-guidelines

IIRC  96% of unvaxxed people do not get the flu each year.  98% of vaxxed people do not get the flu.  You are not likely to get the flu - period.  Flu vaccines are not overly effective.  I don't think unvaxxed kids should be kept out of school barring extreme circumstances.  The justification for keeping kids out over not having a flu shot is particularly weak.  The numbers in no way justify keeping an unvaxxed kid out of school.   

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

kiss.gif(Not blowing kisses, it's just the closest smilie I could find for an aluminium foil deflector beanie. Or maybe they're raspberries, but I guess that would be childish.)

Funny how our new friends are always assuming that we don't have "legitimate reasons such as egg allergy!" before telling us we must vaccinate to protect those people who can't.

Here is the ua btw...  http://www.mothering.com/community/a/user-agreement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

kiss.gif(Not blowing kisses, it's just the closest smilie I could find for an aluminium foil deflector beanie. Or maybe they're raspberries, but I guess that would be childish.)

Funny how our new friends are always assuming that we don't have "legitimate reasons such as egg allergy!" before telling us we must vaccinate to protect those people who can't.

Here is the ua btw...  http://www.mothering.com/community/a/user-agreement

hilarious!!! it happens every now and then. Someone new to Mothering with no previous posts comes on to put us all in our place without taking the time to read the user guidelines. nono.gif 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It seems for the last twenty years now, EVERY year  'they ' say the flu season is going to the worst yet.....flu season comes and goes, and then we hear, 'oh, it wasn't nearly as bad as predicted"...EVERY year the same story.   Every year the same push for flu shots, altho i think this year is the biggest push yet i've seen around....sign are everywhere in just about every store you go and promoting free this or that with a flu shot!!!!!  What a way to upsell a medicine that has known dangers to some people. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur View Post
Our school is giving the flu vaccines in the school gym the same day as the Fall Festival. I feel like I may be overreacting, but I think I have to tell her we can't go to the festival this year. It's outdoors with lots of games -- so there will be lots of runny noses and sneezing, then handling the balls, bean bags, etc. Not sure I want her handling that stuff right after a kid who just got a FluMist vaccine and may have wiped their nose, etc.!
My husband says that they schools/gov't is expecting a huge flu epidemic this year, something that will eventually close the schools down for a time until it blows over...my conspiracy theory mind says that they WANT a huge flu epidemic, otherwise why would they coincidentally keep doing vaxs on days when all the kids are there at school, introducing the virus into the school building, having a fall festival the same day as a vax??? It's like they are blatenly ignoring their own warnings and just handing vaxs out like candy...

DS hasn't missed a day of school yet...guess he'll get a well deserved week off next week! I miss him anyway, so oh well. I have a letter written for the principal of the school about the vax and not allowing the kids to wash their hands - the most preventative measure you can take against the flu - before lunch...but I'm not sure if I should even bother...he works for the gov't...kwim?

just seems as though the gov't knows what they are doing and they are trying to do something wrong...and scary...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM

Has it been like that Emmy? Because when I still lived in Europe nobody talked about flu season. I left in 2006. Flu shots were something for immunocompromised people.... Flu was just something you might catch and get over, end of story... No heavy marketing and fear-mongering like here.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

There's not a major panic about flu in the UK either. Flu shots are available for those with underlying health risks and health care professionals, and then later in the year if you're healthy you can get one at a cost if you want. 

There's a plan in the UK to give flumist to all children (2-17) starting in 2014 to reduce the amount of the full strength virus circulating and hopefully reduce mortality from flu among the elderly. That idea seems to be based on a Cochrane Collaboration report showing flumist is the most effective at reducing flu in children.  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM

I don't know of a single store with a pharmacy here that does not sell the flu vax and often offers lots of coupons/free stuff to go along with it. I don't watch the news but still manage to hear their stories every year while in mil's house or somewhere else with a tv.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Fruitfulmama, yes that is what I mean. You can't go to Safeway or King Soopers or any other type of supermarket without "Get your flu shot today" which comes with a $10 off coupon for groceries; at every drugstore it's advertised BIG; there are TV commercials (I don't have cable and watch rarely and mute it, but saw them); probably radio ads too (always listen to CDs); billboards; letters from the health insurance; fear monger articles in the papers and online outlets; it is freakishly everywhere. When I tell my friends back home they are like Whhhaaat? It's really, really annoying propaganda (because nobody presents downsides, efficacy rates nor side effects).... btw I think u live really close to me :)

Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

yes  its been like that for quite a few years, as i have been keeping tabs on it, and the spectacle the media makes out of it as well...trying to really scare people, or use sell tactics to get something free....here it's portrayed as deadly as the black plague of yesteryear, and without the vaccine, one is sure to succumb to this  'deadly' disease.  And it seems to get more hyped up every year, continuously.  Huge signs now decorate the entries of every grocery store and pharmacy announcing several types of vaccines now available. our walmart now offers all kinds of kids vaccines now too, starting at 2mos old......all these places will even check to see if you need to get caught up on any too....  For some people, the flu (or any) vaccine could potentially have a benefit, but for me and my family, it has none at all.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

Has it been like that Emmy? Because when I still lived in Europe nobody talked about flu season. I left in 2006. Flu shots were something for immunocompromised people.... Flu was just something you might catch and get over, end of story... No heavy marketing and fear-mongering like here.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

CTPharmaMom - Personal attacks are not allowed.  Please edit your post or it will be edited for you.  Thank you.

To the other Members - Thank you for directing this new member to the UA and for getting the conversation back on track.  You rock!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
[Admin note: Quote removed because original post was removed.]

I do, actually.......Dr. Lawrence Palevsky has some good advice:

http://www.drpalevsky.com/about.asp

Impressive!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

CTPharmMom - Your posts have been removed because you refused to edit them.  The User Agreement and forum guidelines apply to all our users to keep discussion civil and productive.  You are welcome to discuss and share your opinions as long as the fit within the User Agreement you agreed to when you signed up.  Thank you.

Everyone else - Your posts have been edited to remove the posts that were deleted.  Thank you.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

That's what it was like in the US, too--until the pharmaceutical companies announced a ("gasp!") flu shot shortage.

It's a very old snake oil sales tactic: make people think there's not enough for everyone, and they'll miss out on something, and everyone will want it.

And it worked. People who had never DREAMED of getting a flu shot were literally lining up at their doctors' offices to demand "their" flu shot. Parents I worked with literally lied about their children, saying that their perfectly healthy child had asthma or frequent upper respiratory infections and therefore both child and parent needed "their" flu shots.

User Tag List