Flumist to be given at school...help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS started kindergarten () and he says he loves it, so I'm happy about that...but I went to the school the other day and there was a great big sign displayed saying that they were excited to offer the Flumist free at the school...AT THE SCHOOL?! Didn't they take that off the market last time they tried it because it contains the live virus and people were getting really sick from it?

Either way, I'm concerned because we don't vax and I don't want my DS around others getting a live virus during school hours...The date is Oct. 13th...am I crazy to keep my DS out of school for that day? and possibly the next? Or does it really not matter? I'm concerned with it being the live virus and since it's the up the nose spray, it's not really contained, can shed, that sort of thing.

I may be over reacting, but I thought to ask here because I know MDC moms are super informed and I'm sure my doc won't give me any real answers....

TIA
#2 of 46 Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Unless your child has another condition that would be dangerous for him to get the flu, I wouldn't worry too much about shedding. Even if it does shed, and your kid picks it up, it is only the flu. It is annoying, and it will suck for a few days, but it is still just the flu.

However... I would keep a young child home on any day where vaccines are given, injection or mist, live virus or not. I wouldn't want my child to be "accidentally" vaccinated against my wishes, and with a young child it is just too easy for them to get swept along with the crowd.

So I would keep him home the day of, but not the day after, and not give shedding a second thought.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#3 of 46 Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Don't you shed virus for 2 to 3 weeks after getting flumist?

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#4 of 46 Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
Unless your child has another condition that would be dangerous for him to get the flu, I wouldn't worry too much about shedding. Even if it does shed, and your kid picks it up, it is only the flu. It is annoying, and it will suck for a few days, but it is still just the flu.

However... I would keep a young child home on any day where vaccines are given, injection or mist, live virus or not. I wouldn't want my child to be "accidentally" vaccinated against my wishes, and with a young child it is just too easy for them to get swept along with the crowd.

So I would keep him home the day of, but not the day after, and not give shedding a second thought.
Ditto this.

Our superintendent is letting our health dept give H1N1 vaccines in our schools. My kids will undoubtedly be "sick" that day. Someone would have to physically restrain me if my child was "accidentally" vaccinated.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#5 of 46 Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM

They do the flu shot and mist during school hours here for those that want them. This has been going on here since dd started school 4 years ago. Both my kids will be home that day and possibly the next as well. This year they are offering not only the regular flu but h1n1 as well.

When I write the excuse to send in the next day for them missing it will say on it that they stayed home due to the fact there was vaxing that day. I want them to know why they didnt go.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 46 Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 AM

OMG, I would be seriously steamed if my DDs school offered any vaccine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
Don't you shed virus for 2 to 3 weeks after getting flumist?
Yes, I believe the Flumist vaccine actually comes with a disclaimer that, because it is a live virus, it can be spread up to 21 days after the vaccine has been received.
#7 of 46 Old 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
They do the flu shot and mist during school hours here for those that want them. This has been going on here since dd started school 4 years ago. Both my kids will be home that day and possibly the next as well. This year they are offering not only the regular flu but h1n1 as well.

When I write the excuse to send in the next day for them missing it will say on it that they stayed home due to the fact there was vaxing that day. I want them to know why they didnt go.
brave...I think I may just do that too...
#8 of 46 Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore82 View Post
OMG, I would be seriously steamed if my DDs school offered any vaccine!

Yes, I believe the Flumist vaccine actually comes with a disclaimer that, because it is a live virus, it can be spread up to 21 days after the vaccine has been received.
holy crap!!! Are they serious?!?!??! Do they want us all to get sick?!??!? WTH...I'm so flabbergasted with gov't schools already : ...I wish I could homeschool...I wish, I wish, I wish!
#9 of 46 Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM

They are offering the Flumist vaccine at our local CVS and Walmart. People are walking around in those stores, sneezing the live (albeit attenuated) virus all over the place. The same is going to be true when the flumist version of the H1N1 vaccine is offered. I think the flumist version of that vaccine is going to cause H1N1 to spread like wildfire, even more so than it's already doing. It really concerns me, especially since my stepdaughter will probably get the inhaled form of the vaccine, bringing the virus into my house.
#10 of 46 Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 PM

NO, you are not crazy to keep your kid home that day. Of course, we are all crazy - donchya know? yes, flumist can spread for 3 weeks. yes, its says so on the disclaimer. walmart, schools, docs, don't seem to think the insert info is worth 'spreading' Heck, its kindergarten. I'd keep my kids home for a week.

didn't I read on here that one poster's school had a flumist day and then had to shut down the school because of the flu?
#11 of 46 Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
NO, you are not crazy to keep your kid home that day. Of course, we are all crazy - donchya know? yes, flumist can spread for 3 weeks. yes, its says so on the disclaimer. walmart, schools, docs, don't seem to think the insert info is worth 'spreading' Heck, its kindergarten. I'd keep my kids home for a week.

didn't I read on here that one poster's school had a flumist day and then had to shut down the school because of the flu?
WTH!!!! I'm greatful that DH is anti vax too...I think since they have no school on Friday (for whatever reason) and we don't like how they play up Christopher Columbus on Monday (we celebrate Remembrance Day instead...I'm sure the school won't be) I'll just send a note saying he's taking off the whole week.

It's full freakin' day kindergarten (state mandated) anyway, so I miss him horribly and I think this will be a nice vaca for us as a family...and hopefully there isn't an outbreak because I feel so bad for all those uninformed families thinking they are doing the right thing, but really just uninformed and mislead...IMHO of course

Yes...I'm crazy. And I like it that way :
#12 of 46 Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, Andrew, the little boy I watched pass away in July died suddenly from 'unknown' reasons...but I know he was never the same child since he received a vax early in the year...they can kill and no one will ever put the puzzle together because vax's are 'safe' and don't have 'long term effects'....
#13 of 46 Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM

I figure even a healthy kid who is stuck in a petri dish for 9 hours with hundreds of kids who have just recieved the mist will end up getting the flu. And then bring it home to the rest of the family. Ugh... I am so frustrated with our schools right now. I can't figure out how to handle this for my two public school kids. Even DP's company has a rule that you can't work for 12 hours after getting the intranasal mist.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#14 of 46 Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yes, but let's hope for this...those of us who pass on the flumist/flu vax, can we hope that even if we do get the flu, that our bodies will fight it naturally. That we will then develop natural immunity, the way nature intended? SO that in a few years, when the next "killer flu strain" lol comes around, that maybe our bodies will be able to ward off that new strain. How many people got the bird flu from a few years ago? See what I mean?

I had the flu over 10 years ago, and never since. I didn't take any lousy flu shot, or flu remedy. I laid in bed for 3 miserable days, and slept the whole time. Could it be that my body needed to fight the flu, so it would help protect me from future flu's? Who knows? (Lol jinx, watch me get the flu now! That's how my luck is!) Still, I wonder if getting the flu and healing naturally is much better than taking the flumist/flu vax, or then even tamiflu.

ALso, all those 30,000+ deaths a year from flu? Not true. They lump pneumonia along with the flu in the reports. The flu is not responsible for all those deaths..I think the number is actually less than 2000 a year.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#15 of 46 Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM

Ughhh. They're doing it at my daughter's school tomorrow.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#16 of 46 Old 09-21-2009, 02:59 PM

I'm waiting for the announcement of when they'll be doing this at our kids school. I'll be keeping them home at least a couple days. Even if I agreed to vaxxing, canyou imagine - 700 young kids just having stuff squirted up their nose, rubbing now-runny/stuffy noses, touching everything...ewww! I'm not a germaphobe and heaven knows I can take the gross stuff of parenting, but that alone is enough to send me shuddering and keep the kids at home!

In addition to drug stores, dr's office's and health departments, you can also get the flu vaccine at a special 1 day fundraiser for our dance school. I seriously almost fell out of my chair when I read that!
#17 of 46 Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM

yep, our school just announced our day, Oct. 8. They will be doing a flu clinic like years in the past in the AM, and lovely, in the LUNCH room right before lunch. YUCK. Wow, I really really hate to have my kids get sick but I really hate to take them out for the day. I am conflicted about what to do. Last year about this time, when my youngest was born it was about this time all my kids were sick and now I'm wondering if it was the flu? High fevers, sore throats, getting sick, dh also caught it. I wonder now. We thought it was strep but now I'm wondering. I don't know what to do. I'm leaning towards keeping them out. What are we supposed to do, last year my dd missed so much school and I don't want her to repeat that. This is so ridiculous. I just wince at what will happen when they do the same for the H1N1. Do my dc have to miss yet another day? Why can't they do it on a Sunday or Saturday for crying out loud.
#18 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned

Keep your child at home that day to prevent a "mix-up", but let him go back the next. It does no good to do everything possible to prevent a child from ever ever getting sick. They need to build up a natural immunity, and this does mean getting sick sometimes. In the adult world, it's not possible to stay home because co-workers, for instance, MIGHT shed after getting their flu vaxes.
#19 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so glad my son is too young for school. He is in a small home daycare though and I worry about the other kids and their school aged siblings getting the mist and then infecting their siblings who then in turn bring it to daycare....and the unvaccinated kids are the ones who put others at risk??? Yeah ok

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#20 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 PM

I would keep my kids out at least the day of the vaxes. I would not take the chance my child might accidentally get the vax.

Since when did schools become medical providers? Did they send home any information on side effects, etc? Do you have to sign for your child to receive the shot? How are they handling informed consent?

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#21 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
I would keep my kids out at least the day of the vaxes. I would not take the chance my child might accidentally get the vax.

Since when did schools become medical providers? Did they send home any information on side effects, etc? Do you have to sign for your child to receive the shot? How are they handling informed consent?
I don't have any concerns about accidental vaxs. They aren't stupid, and if I felt they would screw up something like that I doubt I would trust them with my kid on a daily basis. It isn't the individual schools deciding to do this it is the state (probably with federal help. I don't know, don't really care. ) The school is doing what they are required to do. I like my school nurse well enough and know that her kids were/are selectively and/or delayed vax.

At this point we have to send in a statement of interest for either yes or no vax my kids for season flu. We will do the same for H1N1. Then there is another consent form for if you do want with a list of questions about the health of the recipient. You also need to sign that you got the vis (vaccine information sheet) which of course was not actually provided!

I think being around hundreds of recently misted kids is different than an adult in the workplace with several recently misted adults. Say 98% of the kids in the school are misted vs 45% in the workplace. And lets face it, kids are nasty in regards to personal hygiene. They aren't even given the chance to wash hands before lunch. A kid has to step away from the crowd to use the bathroom (maybe get a reprimand for not going when they were supposed to?) and wash before lunch or snack.

Ok -off my rambling soapbox!!!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#22 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM

I would keep him home and avoid him being vaxed. It can happen by mistake regardless of your wishes. Unless they assure you 100% he won't be vaxed.

Veda 9/06
#23 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 01:53 PM

I am definitely going to be in the minority here... And while I delay and refuse certain vax's including the flu shot, my toddler and myself will be receiving flumist. After researching extensively, for me the benefits outweighted the minor risks. Since it is a weakened strain of the live virus there are no preservatives. Additionally I feel that immunity to various different strains of the flu will provide further protection to our family in the event of an epidemic/pandemic of a mutated form of a flu virus. There is very little chance that DD or myself will get the flu from the mist and if we do... Well then we do... I still feel like for us there is some value in gaining this immunity. -/

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#24 of 46 Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
I figure even a healthy kid who is stuck in a petri dish for 9 hours with hundreds of kids who have just recieved the mist will end up getting the flu. And then bring it home to the rest of the family. Ugh... I am so frustrated with our schools right now. I can't figure out how to handle this for my two public school kids. Even DP's company has a rule that you can't work for 12 hours after getting the intranasal mist.
so it's OK to protect adults and not kids?

I'm keeping him home all week. It's kindergarten, I miss him, and he hasn't missed a day yet. I think he deserves a break. It'll be perfect timing. And then if they end up closing the school due to too many kids sick? he'll be safely at home.
#25 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
Since it is a weakened strain of the live virus there are no preservatives. -/
But it does contain MSG, and that scares me!
#26 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Our school is giving the flu vaccines in the school gym the same day as the Fall Festival. I feel like I may be overreacting, but I think I have to tell her we can't go to the festival this year. It's outdoors with lots of games -- so there will be lots of runny noses and sneezing, then handling the balls, bean bags, etc. Not sure I want her handling that stuff right after a kid who just got a FluMist vaccine and may have wiped their nose, etc.!
#27 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur View Post
Our school is giving the flu vaccines in the school gym the same day as the Fall Festival. I feel like I may be overreacting, but I think I have to tell her we can't go to the festival this year. It's outdoors with lots of games -- so there will be lots of runny noses and sneezing, then handling the balls, bean bags, etc. Not sure I want her handling that stuff right after a kid who just got a FluMist vaccine and may have wiped their nose, etc.!
Don't feel bad at all - we're veto-ing going Trick-or-treating this year due to the H1N1 mist and adults in the household with suppressed immune systems. In the long run it's better to miss a little fun and not get sick.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#28 of 46 Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laur View Post
My husband says that they schools/gov't is expecting a huge flu epidemic this year, something that will eventually close the schools down for a time until it blows over...my conspiracy theory mind says that they WANT a huge flu epidemic, otherwise why would they coincidentally keep doing vaxs on days when all the kids are there at school, introducing the virus into the school building, having a fall festival the same day as a vax??? It's like they are blatenly ignoring their own warnings and just handing vaxs out like candy...

DS hasn't missed a day of school yet...guess he'll get a well deserved week off next week! I miss him anyway, so oh well. I have a letter written for the principal of the school about the vax and not allowing the kids to wash their hands - the most preventative measure you can take against the flu - before lunch...but I'm not sure if I should even bother...he works for the gov't...kwim?

just seems as though the gov't knows what they are doing and they are trying to do something wrong...and scary...
#29 of 46 Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
I am definitely going to be in the minority here... And while I delay and refuse certain vax's including the flu shot, my toddler and myself will be receiving flumist. After researching extensively, for me the benefits outweighted the minor risks. Since it is a weakened strain of the live virus there are no preservatives. Additionally I feel that immunity to various different strains of the flu will provide further protection to our family in the event of an epidemic/pandemic of a mutated form of a flu virus. There is very little chance that DD or myself will get the flu from the mist and if we do... Well then we do... I still feel like for us there is some value in gaining this immunity. -/
I urge you to read the Mercola articles. There is one there (it is target for people over 50) that is written by a neurologist and discusses the affects on the brain of live vaxes. There are side effects to live vaxes.
#30 of 46 Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
my conspiracy theory mind says that they WANT a huge flu epidemic, otherwise why would they coincidentally keep doing vaxs on days when all the kids are there at school, introducing the virus into the school building, having a fall festival the same day as a vax??? It's like they are blatenly ignoring their own warnings and just handing vaxs out like candy...
Our school is giving the seasonal flu mist on a teachers' only day. Only the 4 youngest grades are getting it due to limited vaccine and it is on a friday (no other kids in the school except those getting it) and school doesn't resume until Tuesday because of Columbus Day. I think this is probably the best they could do and am happy with that. I'm sure a lot of kids will be away for the 4 day weekend and get it the following week during school hours but hopefully the majority will get it then.

I've heard a lot of "any parent who doesn't give their kid the h1n1 should be charges with neglect and abuse" sort of talk from parents around me. I feel like they hope my kid(s) will end up very ill just to prove they were right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page