Working in Health Clinic and Pregnant: Flu Vax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never gotten the seasonal flu vax and I'm normally not paranoid about flu season, etc. I think a lot if it (including the H1N1) is just media hype.

But I find myself second-guessing my decision not to have it this year. I'm working in the Student Health Clinic 2 days/week this semester and I'm 21 weeks pregnant. There are (obviously) lots of sick people coming through each day, many with some version of the flu. I also have a 14 month old who is in daycare on campus.

I'm not necessarily anti-vax (my daughter is vax'ed, but we space them out), but I'm not one to get every shot I can get my hands on either.

Would being on a large college campus and working with sick people twice a week be enough to make you consider getting the seasonal flu vax while pregnant (or the H1N1 for that matter)? Would it make you want to give your 1 year old the shot, for fear of her getting it at daycare or you passing it on to her?

Thanks

student momma to two great girls

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Personally, no especially being pregnant. However, I would look into boosting my immune system if I was going to be repeatedly exposed to sick people.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 PM

reading this article: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=agSkfeIV2ryg

...i would think it a good idea to have your IgG2 levels tested. it could really help inform your decision.

hth!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope...especially since the flu vaccine is ineffective anyway....

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 PM

your past your 3 month mark so that is a plus... but why do work in a clinical setting while pregnant.. is there another position open? Even with a vaccine you can still expose yourself to several incidences.
Even if there wasn't h1n1 you would still be exposing yourself to novel strains of disease unless you live somewhere that you would never encounter people from all around the world maybe... but personally it would bother me more to inject myself with a vaccine than to catch a flu... but i am very diligent about my diet and supplements.. and that has been more reliable to me than any pharmecutical that had ever passed my lips or been injected into my veins. .. but that is me...
Wear a mask... that is what i would do.. no way will i ever be taking another vaccine ever.. not after what it did to my son.. what it's done to the kids next door, the infant that died down the street..etc etc.. I can understand it must be so difficult to have to make all those decisions and have a small child in daycare and one in the oven.. but you have alot on your plate and you need to be comfortable with your decision.. but remember vaccines do not come without risk and those facts are routinely dismissed and denied...h1n1 has been mild for most people only a minute fraction of people have serious problems with flu
Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM

I personally wouldn't for myself or my children. Last year I had my kids on 4,000 IUs of Vit.D, 4 probiotics,& At least 1/2 tsp. of SA daily, We only had a couple of minor colds & 1 winpy stomach virus. No flu whatsoever! Also drinking green or black tea daily is a great source of antioxidants too!

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!

User Tag List