H1N1/Swine Flu Vax - October '09 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for sharing that amazing Gary Null video.

I also learned about the dangers of hormone replacement therapy.

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
#482 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 AM

Anyone hear about this news story about the 17 year old that died from H1N1?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200..._year_old.html

Input?
#483 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 AM

A teen died in Ontario yesterday. Got the flu on the weekend, went to a walk in clinic where they said he was fine and sent him home. Died the next morning.

Needless to say, people are freaking out.
#484 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 AM

Interesting Q & A in the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1329448/

I think it downplays some of the risks of the vax, but at least it brings them up.

Quote:
Q: What’s in the adjuvant ?

A: The product from GlaxoSmithKline, Canada’s sole provider of H1N1 vaccine, called Arepanrix, uses an adjuvant called AS03, which consists of squalene (shark liver oil), DL-alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) and polysorbate 80 (an emulsifier also used in ice cream). There are claims that squalene, part of the adjuvant used in the anthrax vaccine, was to blame for Gulf War syndrome, but the evidence is weak.
I am not convinced of that, but at least this article says "squalene". In our local news broadcast they just said vitamin E.

Quote:
Q: If adjuvants are safe, then why the exception for pregnant women?

A: The short answer is that there is no safety data related to pregnant women, so officials are erring on the side of caution. The World Health Organization says pregnant women should get non-adjuvanted vaccine where possible, but that an adjuvanted vaccine could be used if necessary.

Q: What about babies?

A: Babies under the age of six months should not get the H1N1 vaccine. Some public health officials believe that children under age of three should get non-adjuvanted vaccine.
(bolding mine)

Oh, ok... so let's play it safe and avoid the sketchy ingredients for preggo ladies and young kids. I can agree with that. But then...

Quote:
Q: Is it true that the non-adjuvanted vaccine given to pregnant women contains 10 times more mercury (thimerosal)?

A: Yes, the unadjuvanted vaccine does contain 50 micrograms of thimerosal while the adjuvanted vaccine has five micrograms

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#485 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
LInk didnt work
If you click on the link and then copy and paste this number into the search box, the study will come up

PMID: 19851782

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#486 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM

They started the injection vax the other day in a county over. Yesterday on the news they were interviewing people from the parking lot of a shool. One parent said they did get the vax, because it was a virus and the second person the showed also was a dad and he said they did not, because they just don't do those things. I wish he'd have elaborated more. He looked like he wanted to say more.

pp with the flumist play date-it's personal opinion. If I had a playdate w/ some one who had the flumist that day, I'd opt out. If it was a few days later then I'd go to the play date. Especially if it was at a playground or something. Things are everywhere, it's a matter of how much you want to push coming into contact w/ the flu virus.
#487 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 AM

mdc's flu link in case you missed the hot pink letters up top
http://mothering.com/health/swine-flu
#488 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 AM

My sister works in a dental office. The leftover mercury after doing a filling must go in a hazardous waste container, not directly in the garbage because of how toxic it is...but by all means, lets inject it into our bodies...and in extra high doses for pregnant women! Because when mercury is in a vaccine, it is magically transformed into something very helpful to our bodies...not harmful and dangerous .

caffix.gif

#489 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahans View Post
Are you keeping your kids away from people you know have received the swine flu mist vaccine? My 4 yr old has a play date with her friend next week which will have been 2 weeks from the date her friend received the H1N1 Mist vaccine. I was just going to go ahead with the play date as I figure my kids will unknowingly come into contact with people who have the mist vaccine anyway or should I play it safe and delay???

Just thought I'd comment to this. My dh works with immunocompromised patients and got the H1N1 mist last week. He ended up staying home from work for one day with a slight fever one night, but then felt fine. We have a 4yo dd, and neither she nor I seem to have caught anything from being around him. Two weeks is a long time- I wouldn't worry at all about having my kid around someone who had the vaccine that long ago.
#490 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
A teen died in Ontario yesterday. Got the flu on the weekend, went to a walk in clinic where they said he was fine and sent him home. Died the next morning.

Needless to say, people are freaking out.
I questioned this as well. I do not know for certain if the boy had underlying conditions as some media says yes, others no. Also, they did an autopsy on the boy to confirm he had swine flu. Did they also look to see if he had an underlying condition that may have never been detected, yet the virus could have coupled with the condition to cause the death KWIM?

Mama to one very active DS (5.5) Loving wife to my wonderful DH and our baby girl arrived on December 10, 2009
#491 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
WCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama_2_Boy View Post
I questioned this as well. I do not know for certain if the boy had underlying conditions as some media says yes, others no. Also, they did an autopsy on the boy to confirm he had swine flu. Did they also look to see if he had an underlying condition that may have never been detected, yet the virus could have coupled with the condition to cause the death KWIM?

I've searched everywhere to get more info about this child, Evan, but cannot find any. He was a healthy active kid, just like my kids. Did they practice lots of dietary, homeo and supplementary medecine like we do? who knows? is my choice to use high doses of SA, herbs and so forth enough to protect my kids I don't know. I'm a 100% non-vaxer, my kids are heathy, no chronic issues, etc . .. and yet my heart breaks watching the interview with his parents. He did not present with the usual swine flu symptoms (vomiting, lethargy, high fever) and died after his fever had passed and he felt 'better'. Were he my child I would have cared for him with herbs and vits for his sore throat and cough upon presentation, but otherwise would have done no differently than they did.

This makes me ill, and feel so conflicted.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#492 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM

I'm wondering when they're going to start counting from zero again as far as cases and deaths. CDC began new surveillance of flu season on Oct 10 (week 40 of the calendar year), but it looks like we're just going to keep adding up totals for eternity in the media. Also, for the 2008-9 "season", even the CDC didn't stop counting at their normal stopping point (week 20), which makes the totals not suitable for comparison to other reporting seasons. What a mess...

It concerns me that all this fear and worry is only going to contribute to making people sick, combined with unnecessary hospital and doctor visits that are sure to spread all kinds of illness in addition to flu. They've really made a mountain out of a mole hill with all the media circus, mandates, etc. The government and media just continue to undermine their credibility, which will do (has done?) great damage if there is a real pandemic threat with actual high risks in the future.

Any thought on this?
#493 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 12:49 PM
WCM

note: Evan in Ontario did not die so much from the virus, but from a heart attack due to having a virus. This is a rare complication of viral infection; he was already healing from H1N1 when his heart was 'attaked' by his immune system.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#494 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM

My best friends' 4 yr old daughter has just been diagnosed with H1N1 for the second time in approximately 2 months, per nose swab.

When she was diagnosed 2 months ago, she had a severe strep infection along with it and really high fevers, etc (narrowly avoided hospitalization). She and the rest of the family was put on Tamiflu.. and she was fine again within just over a week - no one else in the home got sick.

Now she and her older brother (his first time) just started getting sick again this past week.. she has same symptoms as before, but not as severe. He has high fever, congestion, feels like crap, etc. My friend took them both in to be swabbed and they were both diagnosed with H1N1. She (my friend) is still planning on getting the kids' vaccinated once they are over it, which their pediatrician is recommending since she is has it "for the second time".

Now she's really concerned about her daughter's immune system.
Any ideas? Is this really possible or could it just be that she hadn't kicked it completely the first time?

I am so confused with this stuff

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
#495 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Hello - My two cents worth today...My circle of friends all go to the same pediatrician. I am one of the few who does not give my children every suggested shot. Friend one was in ped office last week "every case of flu is H1N1, because there is never any flu in October". Friend two in ped office last night, "son has swab confirmed flu, but not swine".
It just goes to show you that the doctors and health care professionals have no idea.
#496 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Please talk to me about the nasal mist. The school is going to be administering this soon to kids *with parents' consent.* Of course, DD will not be getting the shot, but is the nasal mist bad too? There are no preservatives, right? So id it OK? Please educate me. I'm starting to worry about H1N1 after a summer of talking people down about it and talking them out of getting the shot . . .
#497 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM

So glad to have found this thread! Now to go back to the beginning and start reading!
#498 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post
My sister works in a dental office. The leftover mercury after doing a filling must go in a hazardous waste container, not directly in the garbage because of how toxic it is...but by all means, lets inject it into our bodies...and in extra high doses for pregnant women! Because when mercury is in a vaccine, it is magically transformed into something very helpful to our bodies...not harmful and dangerous .

People who work in dental offices, including people who just clean (think vacuums on carpet) are exposed to a lot more mercury than most people. It's a risk factor for health problems due to mercury. Something to keep in mind for her health and if/when she decides to have kids. Not saying quit the job or anything, but educating herself about how our bodies deal with mercury, including how variable it is from person-to-person, and the nutrients we need for our bodies to excrete it well, would be to her benefit.
#499 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriansmummy View Post
Anyone hear about this news story about the 17 year old that died from H1N1?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200..._year_old.html

Input?
This case really seems puzzling. He was allegedly "fine" all week long, including Friday. Saturday he comes down with a fever of 104, goes into convulsions and ultimately dies (on the same day, right?). Is "going into convulsions" different than febrile seizures? This just seems like such a flukey case....I was surprised that the coroner said influenza was the cause of death.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#500 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 PM

A few comments

1. Regarding the 17 year old who died... it sounds like he must have developed some type of rare complication? It just sounds like there must be more to the story?

2. Regarding lines for flu shots ~ we see the same thing on the news. People lined up for hours (squished in with all those other people). You may leave exposed to something else (besides the H1N1 vaccine). This is the reason I hate going to Dr.'s office this time of year. So many germs who knows what you will leave with
#501 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM View Post
note: Evan in Ontario did not die so much from the virus, but from a heart attack due to having a virus. This is a rare complication of viral infection; he was already healing from H1N1 when his heart was 'attaked' by his immune system.
Can you please let me know where you got this info. I am in Ontario and everyone has been going crazy over this little boy's death.

tia
#502 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
Just thought I'd comment to this. My dh works with immunocompromised patients and got the H1N1 mist last week. He ended up staying home from work for one day with a slight fever one night, but then felt fine. We have a 4yo dd, and neither she nor I seem to have caught anything from being around him. Two weeks is a long time- I wouldn't worry at all about having my kid around someone who had the vaccine that long ago.
That's good you guys didn't get sick. Hopefully none of the patients will either-

According to the CDC as well as the Flumist web page, immunocompromised patients as well as those who work around them, Should Not recieve the Flumist vaccine, as it can shed to those with the weaker immune system.

What I don't get about the flumist-everyone is lining up for it, but people aren't heading the warnings of who should or should not get it.
#503 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Everyone around here is going crazy. The doctor's offices aren't even taking patients in for appointments who may have swine flu- they are just diagnosing over the phone, and telling people to stay home and rest. So all the confirmed cases in our area are not all necessarily confirmed- it's self diagnoses, PLUS doctor's diagnosing over the phone.

This entire community is in a panic- I got into a discussion with someone on Facebook, and she came flying at me saying three people in our area had died, and it's true because her doctor told her. I can't believe that people are making deaths up in order to justify their choices!

The vaccines came here yesterday, and are here again today and Thursday- apparently, the line up was wound up around the building, and not everyone got one in the end. Plus, everyone was forced to wait outside for at least 2 hours.

Oy.
#504 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM

I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle... does anybody know what the rules are regarding a religious exemption and the h1n1 vax in Virginia?
#505 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Does anyone know if a certain percentage of the population is assumed to have pre-existing immunity to seasonal flu strains? I'm wondering because I keep reading that swine flu is so terrible because no one (at least the young) have no immunity. And when no one has immunity, it can cause a 'pandemic'. But aren't we told every year that no one has immunity to the seasonal flu strains, that they mutate too quickly and no one will have protection against it? Isn't that why the world vaccinates every year for every flu season?

So which is it? Do we retain protection, even cross-protection after exposure to the flu for our lifetime? And if so, do we really need yearly flu vaccines? If not, why are they trying to tell us that the older population isn't being hit as hard with H1N1 because they've been exposed to something close to it before? And how could that be, since H1N1 is so 'novel'?
#506 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyful View Post
I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle... does anybody know what the rules are regarding a religious exemption and the h1n1 vax in Virginia?
you shouldn't need an exemption for H1N1 right now. as of yet, its voluntary, opt in, not opt out.
#507 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM

We have an exemption, but I want to get the H1N1, because I'm not opposed to that one. (dd1 is in a high risk category... 2 actually.)
#508 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Just posted by Health Canada. Would love to hear your comments.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-ale...-mythe-eng.php

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#509 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 07:48 PM

Just as a rough example of the constant arguments I keep getting as for why I and my 21 month old dd should be getting the flu shots:

"Get it and get your kid it. Can you spell Polio? I don't understand the issue as they have been producing Flu vaccine for years ..this is just a different strain not a different process. Chances are that you've already had a vaccine with adjuvant, and mercury. Heard of anyone dying of the vaccine?"

I'm curious as to how most of you would argue against these claims/arguments.

Mother caffix.gif to DD born Jan 2008 and DS born Nov 2011. 

#510 of 635 Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teale View Post
Everyone around here is going crazy. The doctor's offices aren't even taking patients in for appointments who may have swine flu- they are just diagnosing over the phone, and telling people to stay home and rest. So all the confirmed cases in our area are not all necessarily confirmed- it's self diagnoses, PLUS doctor's diagnosing over the phone.

This entire community is in a panic- I got into a discussion with someone on Facebook, and she came flying at me saying three people in our area had died, and it's true because her doctor told her. I can't believe that people are making deaths up in order to justify their choices!

The vaccines came here yesterday, and are here again today and Thursday- apparently, the line up was wound up around the building, and not everyone got one in the end. Plus, everyone was forced to wait outside for at least 2 hours.

Oy.
Ugh...

I was told "I'm sick of hearing all this fearmongering. Vaccines save lives. Herd immunity is good for everyone"

Seriously what does one say to that?

My neighbours have all had the flu this week (don't know if it's H1N1) and they are all fine now but are now freaking out saying everyone needs to be vaccinated because it's a horrible pandemic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page