military medical insurance and vaccinations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok my sister who was Army and is now out, uses the military drs for herself and her kids because her UAV husband is in the Army stationed in Iraq. She went to her 6 month olds WBV yesterday and vaccines were brought up. She has been informed by my sister and I about the dangers of vaccine and she has not wanted to vax anymore. She told the dr that and he said that she would lose her insurance thru them. She got the vaccines but was able to refuse the flu vax. In the future what could she do to permanently refuse the vaccines without losing the insurance concidering she is no longer military and nor are her kids? Are they just using that as a scare tactic? What could she do if she does lose the insurance?

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#2 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 PM

That is just a scare tactic, My baby is unvaxed and I have tricare. No one has ever made that threat to me.
#3 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellz View Post
Ok my sister who was Army and is now out, uses the military drs for herself and her kids because her UAV husband is in the Army stationed in Iraq. She went to her 6 month olds WBV yesterday and vaccines were brought up. She has been informed by my sister and I about the dangers of vaccine and she has not wanted to vax anymore. She told the dr that and he said that she would lose her insurance thru them. She got the vaccines but was able to refuse the flu vax. In the future what could she do to permanently refuse the vaccines without losing the insurance concidering she is no longer military and nor are her kids? Are they just using that as a scare tactic? What could she do if she does lose the insurance?
No. She is either entitled to the insurance or she is not. If she is still married to the UAV, she is still his dependent and still has an ID card. The children will ALWAYS be entitled to the benefits of a dependent, even if they divorce (she will not be, but the children will). One does not loose their status as a dependent by refusing vaccination.

I would file an ICE complaint against the Dr.
"Remember that you can file ICE reports online for ANY bad and good experiences you have at any military facility (military doctor, the commissary, exchange, etc.). They will always follow up on your report and try to remedy the situation. The ICE system is done through DOD and stands for Interactive Customer Evaluation."
http://ice.disa.mil/

Advice from an Officer:

Quote:
I just hate being condesended to. But I know my rights, and for whatever reason, in the experiences I've seen with me and my sister, they tend to not try to push around officers/officers wives as much as enlisted. My sister said they tried fear tactics all the time with her when her DH was enlisted, but never when he was an officer. And having been enlisted and an officer, I've seen that as well.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/4388/fo...ext=11#replies

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Absolutely untrue. We haven't received vaccines for our kids in over 11 years, and we're still fully covered. I would also submit an ICE comment over the rude and unprofessional behavior of that HCP.
#5 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLittleMonkeys View Post
Absolutely untrue. We haven't received vaccines for our kids in over 11 years, and we're still fully covered. I would also submit an ICE comment over the rude and unprofessional behavior of that HCP.
ITA. The only consequence of not vaxing is that her children will not be able to use the CDCs and CYS facilities (i.e. daycare and activities on post). Otherwise, she is well within her rights not to vax. I also agree that it is much easier for me to refuse vaxes as an officer's wife because the HCPs tend not to question my judgment as closely, sad to say. I come into the WBVs armed with facts and knowledgeable about my positions, which is what I recommend for any person dealing with military HCPs.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#6 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM

That is an outright lie and the first time I hear that one. In CA they wanted me to sign the bad mommy form and I refused, nothing they can do about it. I was always armed with facts and even made that doc admit he hadn't read the package inserts...
In fact, the military docs cannot fire you like a civi ped can. They have to take you and htey have to accept that you don't vaccinate, period.
She has to file an ICE complaint, a letter of complaint to the main medical person of that base and one to the general/colonel of the post/base. Make a humongous stink as this is terrible what happened.
About the CDC: they do accept religious exemptions, not always, but it does work for many people.
#7 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 PM

ummm....basically she was lied to. In this case I would strongly suggest she file a complaint because not only was she given wrong information but she was intimidated into consenting to medical treatment when it was clear she did not want it based on that misinformation (i.e lie).

BTW...myself and my sons are unvaxed AD dependents and we have NEVER been told that before.
#8 of 8 Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM

I would file a complaint if I was her and see about changing doctors. We don't even see military doctors anymore - even though they have never given me any problems in the past for not vaxxing.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page