If you are anti-vaccinations... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 10-31-2009, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am anti vax.
I am not against western medicine completely. I question it, and don't trust it. However, after a very rare incident during the birth of my son almost killed me, I have to thank modern medicine a bit.
I practice preventative care. I don't like this "a pill for every ill" mentality that the medical community has. My son see's a naturopath, and if he suggests antibiotics then I will give them to ds because I trust that nd would not give them unless he thought they were absolutely warranted. Nd will "prescribe" vitamin c, elderberry, probiotics, garlic oil for ears, etc before turning to medicine. I am happy and comfortable with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 58 Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pro-informed consent, which I believe is seriously lacking in the vast majority of vaccination decisions. Do you think all of the people waiting seven hours in line for H1N1 vax *really* know what is in it? Or how poorly it has been tested??

I believe that our bodies are not born vaccine-deficient. I believe that we are meant to get sick from time to time, as that is how we build up strong immune systems.

I believe that we still don't know the full effects that vaccination is going to have on our society.

You know how we all look back on ancient cultures with "barbaric" medical practices like drilling holes in skulls to let the demons out? I think that one day a future culture is going to look back on our vaccination practices with the same shock and horror.

I also don't buy into the misconception that doctors are some kind of gods. I consider myself to be a pretty intelligent person. I could have easily gone to medical school, but had no interest. I don't think doctors are the know-all-end-all of everything. In the internet age almost anyone can become an expert in anything, and I am quite certain I am more up-to-date about vaccines than either my family doctor or our public health nurses in town.

I am not anti-medicine, but I don't go rushing into the doc for every little thing. And I can't remember the last time I went without knowing what it is I had already, like bronchitis, a UTI, or strep throat, and just needed someone with a prescription pad.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#33 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Hi all, I am new here.

I know no one has posted in this thread for over 2 months, I am comforted and grateful to have found it. .

I'm an older new mom. My son is two.. He's had all shots up to his 8th month, then, I stopped... I do not recall what shot it was, but he became sick and I had to give him tylenol for 3.5 days straight around the clock to keep his fever down. He was very very hot!!! When-ever the tylenol started wearing off, he would be sluggish, eyes rolling and then, he'd lay limp in my arms and go to sleep. I was scared, angry and said no more. That was not the first time I noticed he had problems after a shot.. He even had a problem with a flu shot. I use to cry when the doctors gave me small lectures..

I am like one mom who posted here. I want to live my life vaccination free as much as possible.. I don't know everything there is about pros and cons. I am afraid of both what could happen if he does not and if he does. I don't know what to really think. I live in MN and Praise God, I can sign off for him to not be vaccinated in order to attend daycare/school.

For a while there my son would cry when I took him for regular check ups, thinking it was for a shot. I would always tell him.. No shots.. Momma said , no shots.. He believes me and I want it to stay that way.. I am very religious/Muslim, I pray to God, nothing happens to my son. I am like some moms here. I believe in both Western, natural and Eastern meds, and afraid to continue on with the vaccinations.

I'm a divorced single full time workin mom, who is very blessed a friend of mine is watching my son in her home.. I am afraid of the problem I will face soon as I place him in pre school. I just feel so alone. One of my sisters stated by me not vaccinating my son, I'll cause other children he'll come in contact with to become sick.

I want to ask if there are any moms or dads here who now have grown or adult children that they chose not have vaccinated Will you tell me your story? I ran into two women who have adult children that were not vaccinated. All in their 20's and 30's. Both moms stated their children are fine to this day.

This my 2nd day here and I feel very blessed .

Denise
#34 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM

We don't vax and I rely mainly on healthy diet (organic when we can afford it, especially dairy and eggs) and herbal remedies, flower essences, and bodywork including energy healing for myself and DD, we also do chiropractic when we can afford it.

If natural remedies don't get the job done, I will take DD to a doctor. This has happened twice in her life- once to a dentist to file down a broken tooth and once to a nurse practicioner for antibiotic drops for pinkeye.

Also, I am extremely lucky to have a best friend who is a pediatrician with a natural, hands-off philosophy and she has given me lots of advice over the years. She has reassured me many times that DD didn't really need to see a doctor for colds, gastro, and other minor things like that and made tons of helpful suggestions like using a neti pot to clear sinus congestion, etc.
#35 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM

We are vax free but I'm not anti western medicine. Chemotherapy saved my life when I had cancer, my husband has had a knee replacement and bypass surgery and my antihistamines make my life much more safe and enjoyable. Sure I don't run to the Dr at every sniffle and we avoid unnecessary use of antibiotics but I'm not the alternative medicine queen either.
#36 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Why does not using this particular area of prophylactic drugs mean one is anti-Western medicine? One can refuse practically any other drug, but refuse vaccines and you are "that" kind of person. I have a close relative that made this assumption; actually I think both of our families assume this of us . Though somehow I have everyone on the SA bandwagon.

Before ds started school he hadn't had required a doctor in 5 years (I did take him for a sick visit at 10mo that turned out to be a waste of time). Our 3yo hasn't required a single sick visit. Recently, our 5yo had his first ever ear infection that I could not heal, so....we took him to a doctor. When he had a fall where he hit his head and was vomiting hourly, I took him to a doctor. When he was so constipated he was writhing in pain and we could not fix it, we took him to a doctor.

When dh was relating telling a relative about ds' earache, she asked if we took him to a "real doctor;" if something occurs that is beyond our abilities, yes, we go to a "real doctor." I think she has forgotten the times that she watched our dcn because I had to go to the Dr. for a UTI (once it starts hurting it is beyond me), or when dh was hospitalized for a colon polyp, or needed surgery for a herniated testicle.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#37 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Western medicine has excellent trauma care and should my child need emergency services like a car accident or deadly illness, I will bring her in to the hospital with no problems. I dont trust western medicine to keep my family healthy as health does not come from shot or pill. I will take her to someone familiar with health and not someone who who sees sick people day in and day out. I believe in prevention and western medicine doesnt really address true prevention without harm. Western medicine saved my life but their treatment also made me require such an intervention so I am a little bitter about that. I do prefer natural remedies first and then I will take her to a GP if I have to.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
#38 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM

I am anti-vaccine becasue I think the technology is a failure. In theory, maybe it makes sense, but not in reality. I also loathe the ingredients and want them nowhere near myself and my child.

I believe in responsible healing and health. I guess what I mean is, I believe our bodies will keep us in good health when we treat them well. Therefore I believe in a healthy organic natural diet- eating foods in a natural state from a variety of sources. I believe in physical outdoor activity in all seasons. I believe in a sleep routine- bed at a certain time, rise at a certain time. I believe in handwashing and STAYING HOME WHEN YOU'RE ILL to not only keep the germs to yourself but also to get the rest to get better.

Then I believe western medicine is great in an emergency, like a severed finger or head trauma, but not for colds, flu, diabetes, arthritis, etc. which I believe are best healed with diet, herbs, and natural medicines like homeopathy. (homeopathy DOES work but I believe it works on the healthy, not folks who throw down a big mac and fries for lunch every day)

In general, science does not know better than nature is our way of thought
#39 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM

I wouldn't say I am pro or anti anything in the medical world.

I chose not to vaccinate because after doing the research I found no valid reason why my son needed any of the vaccines, and didn't think the potential benefits outweighed the potential risks.

I am the type who will try anything within reason to see if it works, starting with the option with the lowest risk, and working my way up. I stop when I believe the benefits are outweighed by the risks.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#40 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM

I'm anti-vax for my family.

However, Dh is kept breathing by anti-fungals (chronic fungus in his lungs), I'm kept pregnant by high-rick docs and their care, MIL is alive due to chemo, fake hormones, and surgery, FIL is alive because of his heart doc and meds. So we're all pretty pro-western meds.....when it's needed.

I also use a midwife, think that prayer works to cure and heal, and use hand sanitizer.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#41 of 58 Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
for Momofmusa,

I'm almost 60 years old and received just one vaccine in my life. No serious health problems at the moment and not a lot in the past. Because of my age I had all of the normal childhood illnesses: measles, mumps, chickenpox, rubella and so on with no particular difficulty. I'm one of a family of 5 children whose parents were anti-vax. We are all still alive and reasonably healthy.

So it is possible to survive...

I did give my daughter some vaccines when she was 7 or 8 years old. I think it undermined her health, frankly.

My two grandchildren (currently 10 and 6) have had a couple of vaccines, much later than the usual schedule. They are pretty healthy.

Our family uses whatever works when it comes to medicine. I've used mainstream and alternative as needed. I mostly avoid drug treatments because they don't seem to work and I usually get side-effects. But I have had surgery a couple of times (fairly minor) and when I go to the dentist I don't object to novocaine so I'm certainly not a fanatic.
#42 of 58 Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 PM

I am anti-vax for my family, and pro western medicine in an emergency. From the point at which I had my first child seven years ago untill now, my beliefs in SO many ways have changed.

DD1 is fully vaxed, DD2 is partially vaxed, and DS is not vaxed at all. I don't do well baby check ups, or any regular physicals on the older kids. DS has not seen a dr. since he got rid of the jaundice at 2 weeks old. He is healthy and happy, no need to go and be checked out, when I am capable of keeping track of his health my self.

I like what Cindy said, this is how I feel also....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post

I also use a midwife, think that prayer works to cure and heal, and use hand sanitizer.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#43 of 58 Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 PM

We don't vax. Like many, I am pro-whatever works, which has not included western medicine in my family for many years. But in the first place I am pro- civil liberties and personal choice to decide what is in the best interest of you and your family. I am all about doing research and not blindly following "facts" that are presented to us. I respect other peoples' choices and expect the same from them in relation to my choices. Sadly, that's often nowhere to be seen when it comes to the choice to remain vaccine free.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#44 of 58 Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM

I have never really met anyone who was 100% anti-vax for anyone. I wouldn't say we are anti-vax. We just don't vax. This is right for our family.

I am pro a lot of things though! hehe Pro bach flower remedies, homeopathic remedies, acupuncture, reflexology, osteopathy, reiki, crystal healing.... lol

I think all of those things are far too un-known and mocked. They really shouldn't be. They work! They are SO safe and non-invasive and fabulous for whoever you are! hehe

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#45 of 58 Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 AM

I am against vaccines for my family, and am also against casual pharmaceutical use. When someone in my family is ill (rare) the first thing we do is nothing. lol Well, bed rest and increased fluids is the extent of this "nothing." We don't do over-the-counter meds or prescriptions.

We evolved into this practice, when we begin noticing a trend that went something like this...use meds, stay sick much longer and perhaps get sicker or develop new symptoms; continue the cycle of sickness and meds. Don't use meds...sickness goes away fairly quickly and painlessly, and stays away for a long time.

We believe the body has a wonderful ability to heal itself in most cases. That's not to say that in some rare cases, medical treatment is not warranted. We simply believe that western medicine is far overused to the detriment of our society's overall health.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#46 of 58 Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 AM

I've traveled along a spectrum. In the beginning, I was against vaccination because the risks outweighed the benefits.

I have moved to a place where I view vaccination as an affront to my child's bodily integrity...so it has moved above simply "prove the science" to a religious/philosophical issue of human rights for me.

As for what do I do in place of vaccinations...well when you remove an additive, there isn't a hole.

I hear people ask the same question about circumcision. "If we don't circumcise, what do we have to do?" Nothing. He's normal now.

"I'd rather treat a sick child than injure a healthy one."

JMO not debating, not judging, etc etc.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#47 of 58 Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
For those of you who are anti-vaccinations - what are you "pro"?
ayurvedic remedies, homeopathy, acupuncture, eastern medicine, psychic healing, etc works?
I don't vaccinate anymore and haven't received a vaccine myself since 1972. My shot record looks a helluva lot different than my teenager's, sadly.

I think the majority of people do not refuse emergency care (western) when the situation calls for it. I think that some people have probably used homeopathy, or other modalities that are routinely ostracized from the "evidence-based" camp and probably report that it worked well. Whether it's placebo or not, really doesn't matter to me... whatever works, works.

I think chiropracters are generally very knowledgable people as it relates to the nervous system. I think it's very agreeable that proper care to the nervous system will aid the body in responding to numerous chemical and mechanical stressors. Mainstream's blatant attempts to demonize them have actually had an opposing effect on me (as does much that they rake over the coals out of sheer spite).

I'm becoming more and more irritated in the vaccination discussion and the shoddy science that supports vaccine policy. Or maybe I'm just more irritated at skeptical talking heads regurgitating that same, horrific, science ad nauseum to make their fear mongering points... I think the vaccination status of strangers has become a paranoid and hateful topic. I think people are INSANE to place the health of their child (especially those compromised, or otherwise) into the hands of complete strangers ("please vaccinate yourself to protect my child"). Really? Where does it stop? And lastly, I think it's INSANE that we universally vaccinate to protect the weak (in the US). Somehow acknowledging that my vaccination status, or that of my either fully, partially, or non-vaccinated kid, is not evidence that we can also resist disease and protect these members of society is blasphemy and we have no concept of the destruction these diseases have done [insert scary music here].

Treat everyone as if they aren't vaccinated, or the vaccine didn't work. Treat the child, not the disease. Reality (not false security) seems to be the best preventative measure in my house.
#48 of 58 Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_domhan View Post
I don't vaccinate anymore and haven't received a vaccine myself since 1972. My shot record looks a helluva lot different than my teenager's, sadly.

I think the majority of people do not refuse emergency care (western) when the situation calls for it. I think that some people have probably used homeopathy, or other modalities that are routinely ostracized from the "evidence-based" camp and probably report that it worked well. Whether it's placebo or not, really doesn't matter to me... whatever works, works.

I think chiropracters are generally very knowledgable people as it relates to the nervous system. I think it's very agreeable that proper care to the nervous system will aid the body in responding to numerous chemical and mechanical stressors. Mainstream's blatant attempts to demonize them have actually had an opposing effect on me (as does much that they rake over the coals out of sheer spite).

I'm becoming more and more irritated in the vaccination discussion and the shoddy science that supports vaccine policy. Or maybe I'm just more irritated at skeptical talking heads regurgitating that same, horrific, science ad nauseum to make their fear mongering points... I think the vaccination status of strangers has become a paranoid and hateful topic. I think people are INSANE to place the health of their child (especially those compromised, or otherwise) into the hands of complete strangers ("please vaccinate yourself to protect my child"). Really? Where does it stop? And lastly, I think it's INSANE that we universally vaccinate to protect the weak (in the US). Somehow acknowledging that my vaccination status, or that of my either fully, partially, or non-vaccinated kid, is not evidence that we can also resist disease and protect these members of society is blasphemy and we have no concept of the destruction these diseases have done [insert scary music here].

Treat everyone as if they aren't vaccinated, or the vaccine didn't work. Treat the child, not the disease. Reality (not false security) seems to be the best preventative measure in my house.
are you in my head?? I really could not have said it better myself

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#49 of 58 Old 01-28-2010, 02:49 PM

We're non-vaxers (I guess anti-vax technically but people have the right to do as they choose, regardless) and I will do anything and everything natural or non-Western first before opting for Western (unless it's an emergency). I'm not anti-Western, but I'm very much against it's overuse and the arrogance within the medical community that Western is the bee's knees and it's the only type of medicine that works.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#50 of 58 Old 01-30-2010, 02:48 AM

I am anti-vax for my family, and mostly skeptical of western medicine except when needed. For example, I was diagnosed with cancer while I was pregnant. I still managed to have my natural, non-medical birth, but when it came to cancer I turned to western medicine.

I am very much so into homeopathy, acupuncture, and keeping a healthy, chemical free diet and lifestyle as preventative care.

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

#51 of 58 Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 AM

I selectively vax and use western medicine as needed.

We do have yearly exams (Pap, bloodwork) just to make sure everything is a-okay. Other than that, we don't really require medical care other than an ER visit for an injury. Most illnesses we treat at home (if ever). We take very little OTC meds and no RX meds. In the last 5 years, I've had one RX for amoxicillian for strep throat that wouldn't go away.
#52 of 58 Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 AM

Anti vax but we do use western medicine.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#53 of 58 Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM

What a question!

Let's see - we are thankful for western medicine in that we know if we have major trauma/ need surgery/ it will be there for us.

That being said, I do believe that going to an allopathic physician will many times (not all the time) leave you "sicker" then before you went in.

We try to eat healthy. Exercise, be outside. Stay positive. Work on our stress levels. We use chiropractic as needed. Use herbs, homeopathy, acupuncture when we fall ill.

I do not believe that you need to see a doctor to be well I think it is all a business and designed to make drs money. I have watched my father being helped by medicine (cancer) and my grandfather being slowly killed by medicine (Grandfather, RIP). A docotor nearly caused my Mom MAJOR issues by prescribing 2 contraindicated medicines. Again, she ended up in MUCH worse shape then when she went in for a nasty cough of all things).

Vaccines have gotten out of hand, imo. Can they be helpful? Probably in some instances. The vaccine schedule out there now? INSANE.

I think people need to take responsibility for their health, and not leave the decisions uo to the doctors (or any other hcp). I just do not think that many docotrs are trained in wellness, ony to look for sickness.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#54 of 58 Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 AM

One way of putting our view on vaccines, which I read elsewhere, is "I'm not ANTI VACCINES, I'M PRO-vaccine safety. Vaccines have not been proven to be safe." but then again, what is safe 100% of the time? FWIW, we are not vaccinated.

Dana, Wife to DH, SAHM to Mac, 14, Mikael, 10, Holland Eve, 8, Danica Lyn, 5, Noah Rebekah, 3, & baby brother Elisha Isaac, born 7/21/09
#55 of 58 Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
Im anti vax. Im pro any "medicine/health regimine you researched and informed yourself about. and decided you were comfortable doing for you and yours. "

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#56 of 58 Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 AM

I am now 99% anti vaxing after doing some research. I questioned why my preemie should be vaxed on the same schedule as a full term (ie. he was 7 weeks early, so his adjusted age at 2 months would be 1 week!!) and that opened a great big ole can of worms for me.
I try not to use medicine (western) wherever possible. I believe in meditation/yoga and the chiro did a very good job of helping my headaches..
So I would say I prefer to use more of a natural approach (food is an excellent way of helping your body out) than conventional western medicine.
I think I am a hippy at heart

Sarah, mum to Maya and Zachary
#57 of 58 Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM

What a good question!~!!

I have 4 lids and 2 are vaccinated (born 1988 and 1991 so not as many vaxes as now )
1 has had some vaccines her first year--the last child has had none.
Our views have evolved as to what we have learned regarding herbal meds and health /foods in general.
In 2000 -I would say anti vax and pro health !

I have read many books on differring ideas and health and healing -spiritual and physical-
Rudolph Steiner and Edgar cayce have views /ideas that resonated well with me and herbal remedies is something I enjoy making and using in our home .
Our chiropractor has been helpful for many years in keeping us healthier also.
It is nice to put it into words-helps clarify what you are thinking.

PS homeopathics were very effective for my 3 year olds diarrhea last week--(I was impressed -1/2 bottle and it was gone after 5 days of it )and I would use them,along with herbals , in my plan for pertusis if we would have to deal with that illness .

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
#58 of 58 Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

My two kids (ages 7 & 2) are selectively/delayed vaxed.

I'm a trauma/emerg RN, so I have a healthy respect for western medicine.

We also see a naturopath and spend lots of $$$ at the LHFS.

I absolutely do not use homeopathics, or anything of that genre, but we do use (with good success) herbs, nutrition, whole foods, etc. for health and healing.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page