anyone else really freaked about the flu this year? are you getting your babe a flu shot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I originally posted this in the Life With a Babe forum because I'd like to hear opinions from parents who do make the choice to vaccinate their babies, as well as those who might make the choice to delay or not vax at all.

I know that there are a lot of anti-vax and selective/delayed vaxing moms who read this forum, so no flames please, I am just looking for some honest and helpful information to help us make this decision--it is a very hard decision to make in our opinion!

I am really freaked about the flu this year! We have a friend who lives in another state who is in the hospital right now from the flu, he is in a medically induced coma and has pneumonia in both lungs. I can't believe it, he is a healthy person otherwise and does not smoke or otherwise compromise his immune system. Not sure if he has h1n1 or the regular seasonal one.

We do selective/delayed vaxes. My baby is almost 13 months old. I'm at home with him, he does not go to daycare and he does not have older siblings who go to school. I am debating getting him vaxed for the flu (not H1N1, that's a separate conversation imo). Our ped gives shots of Sanofipasteur (Fluzone) that does not have thermisol. And our ped, of course, strongly recommends getting a flu shot.

Also, even though I am a teacher and in past years I have skipped the vax for myself, I am thinking about getting it (and my DP will get it) this year (even though I am on leave from teaching so I'm not around kids like that anymore).

Is anyone planning on getting their kids vaxed for the flu? Or is anyone getting the flu vax for themselves? I'd really appreciate reasons why or why not you've made this decision for yourselves and your families.

thanks!

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
#2 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We don't vaccinate our children.. I might consider the flu vaccine if it was actually proven to work. Since they started pushing the flu vaccine on everyone, flu related deaths have not dropped AT ALL. In some cases they've actually gone up. I have yet to see a study that shows that they're effective.. I saw a different study yesterday that said that about 85% of the time you get sick with flu-like symptoms that it's not actually the flu (but other infections), so you're still likely to get sick. Until I see that flu vaccines actually lower the rates of flu related hospitalization and death we won't be getting it.

ETA: My 5yo DS just got over a sickness with flu-like symptoms (don't know if it was the flu or not), he recovered in 2 days and so far DH, DD and I haven't caught it. Pretty much everyone on my street has been sick in the last few weeks and recovered just fine..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#3 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
ETA: My 5yo DS just got over a sickness with flu-like symptoms (don't know if it was the flu or not), he recovered in 2 days and so far DH, DD and I haven't caught it. Pretty much everyone on my street has been sick in the last few weeks and recovered just fine..
My daughter, also 5, is on day-2 of flu-like something...high fevers at night, and coughing in the night and morning, a little less energy then usual. At least 1 student in her K class has tested + for Influenza A, and several have been absent over a 4-5 day period. I am sure they all have h1n1, but I am not getting dd tested. We are using lots of precautions to avoid contagion, such as handwashing and Purell, and even Lysol (which I have never used in my home before), Clorox wipes, using a paper towel on the door knob to open and close doors, and separating the kids into different parts of the house all day, mealtime included. Also, my husband is doing more direct contact with our little patient so I can stay safely at a distance with the baby. So far, the symptoms she has are no worse than a cold w/ an occasional fever, and she has actually been fever-free from 10 pm last night (after Tylenol) until now. We could already be near the end of this thing...

So, no, we are not doing a flu-vax. Just trying to avoid, and also trying to avoid the media-induced paranoia.
#4 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH told me more people are dying of vax complications from H1N1 then from the disease. So, no. (but I am trying to avoid the media induced panic too! )

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#5 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Hell to the NOOOOOO. Both my kids were born at the very begining of flu season, and I didn't think twice about getting them flu shots. DS1 and I both had the flu (I am pretty sure) last year. I had it while nursing DS2, it was awful. But we lived through it. I don't let the Talking Heads scare me. Whenever I start to get a little freaked out, I chant to myself, West Nile, Avian, SARS, and then I feel better.
#6 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 03:55 PM

We all got the flu shot and I'm considering getting the H1N1 which is the one I'm personally freaking out about. I believe when new viruses enter a population they kick out existing viruses. Therefore no point getting the seasonal flu shot now IMHO.

I'm interested to see the research mentioned by PP regarding mortality rates. It's all about the research for me too. So easy to get pulled in by the media hype.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#7 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:00 PM

I am strongly considering getting the H1N1 vax. I'm in a college town and a lot of people have it. I know people who have it and I rarely know of anyone who even has the seasonal flu (which makes me think it's more contagious than the seasonal flu). The seasonal flu vaccine is often ineffective because they don't accurately predict which strains will be dominate in each particular flu season. But in the case of H1N1, they KNOW this is one that is definitely going around.

I'm not afraid of the virus, but I have a 5 month old, and I would rather get vaccinated myself than have him vaccinated. I am also pretty comfortable with the side effect profile and ingredients in the flu vaccine. I am also pretty sleep-deprived, so I know my immune system is not at its strongest. It would be very challenging for me to get the flu right now. The only time in my life that I had the flu, I was couch-bound for most of a week. I don't really have that luxury right now.
#8 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
DH told me more people are dying of vax complications from H1N1 then from the disease.
I challenge your DH to find a citation for this.

Yes, we will be getting the vax--not just for our own sakes, but for the sake of pregnant women, the immunocompromised, infants, and the chronically ill.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#9 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM

This is a good link about the flu vaccine efficacy. A lot of the deaths reported for flu are actually caused by pneumonia or other illnesses.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/PROFESSIONALS...tivenessqa.htm
#10 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
This is a good link about the flu vaccine efficacy. A lot of the deaths reported for flu are actually caused by pneumonia or other illnesses.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/PROFESSIONALS...tivenessqa.htm
This is why I'm so afraid! Our friend in Minnesota had the flu that turned into pneumonia--last Thursday he had the flu and told us he'd call us back when he was feeling better. On Sunday he was in the hospital in a medically-induced coma because he has pneumonia in both lungs and is intubated.

#11 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
We made the decision to get it.
I'm a paramedic, so I don't want to bring it home to my family if they're not protected too. The greater population benefits from the majority being vaccinated ... even those who choose not to get vaccinated. The thermosil in the adjuvented vaccine here is less than in a can of tuna, so I'm trying not to let the Talking Heads of either side get to me. There's plenty of media hype on both sides. It's been a difficult road to come to this decision, and here we are, having made it. I don't know if we're in the right or in the wrong, but we're getting it.
I'd rather commit an error of comission than omission.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#12 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM

My first post as a new member to Mothering. I am a new mom to Liam, almost 6 months. BF and no day care. Doing alternative vax sched and am very hesitant for any flu/h1n1 shots...if any other year i wouldn't have even thought twice about getting him the regular flu shot. However, this year it's so hard not to get sucked into the media hype about the dangers of h1n1 particulary to babies and pg women.
some questions i haven't been able to get answered are -- since it is only recommended for 6 mos and above what if you have a smaller baby...isn't the risk to them just as great if not greater?
Also, i am BF him and will be through all of flu season (at least until next summer). He isn't in daycare. Isn't there some benefit in that helping to prevent the flu/h1n1 and/or helping him to fight if in the awful event he were to get it?
Lastly, if I were to get it and nursed him during that time don't the antibodies reach him to protect him???
#13 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am strongly considering getting the H1N1 vax. I'm in a college town and a lot of people have it.
I'm considering getting the seasonal flu vax, not the H1N1. My midwife thinks that the H1N1 is not fully tested right now so it may be unsafe for women who are pregnant or nursing, and I trust her opinion (she also recommends getting the seasonal flu vax, which is one big reason why I'm also considering getting that one). You hear so many stories about the low supply in the H1N1. Are there a lot of people out there getting the h1n1 vax?

Quote:
I'm not afraid of the virus, but I have a 5 month old, and I would rather get vaccinated myself than have him vaccinated. I am also pretty comfortable with the side effect profile and ingredients in the flu vaccine. I am also pretty sleep-deprived, so I know my immune system is not at its strongest. It would be very challenging for me to get the flu right now. The only time in my life that I had the flu, I was couch-bound for most of a week.
I have had the flu every year for the past three years. In each case I was sicker than I could believe. Each case knocked me off my feet for about a week. Last year I was sick with a nursing 3 mo old and we nursed our way through it. The baby got me sick (he was sick first) and he developed an ear infection from being so stuffed up and had to have a round of antibiotocs. We found out that he was allergic to penicillan, and the ped was very concerned, she said, because the baby was so young at the time. So....I am tempted to get the flu vax for us this year if it can possibly prevent all of this. I don't think I would get one if I didn't have a baby. Also, I read in a Canadian study that although 2 doses of the flu vax are recommended for children (because they have weaker immune systems) one dose of the vax will help the child's immune system fight the virus should he be infected (although that study was released by the pharmacutecal company who made the vaccine so I guess that might be marketing). So maybe that boost will help us through a bought of the flu should be get sick.

#14 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and I'm getting vaccinated as are the rest of my family, including my almost 14 month old. I'm not "afraid" of H1N1. It's not about fear to me. It's about doing what's best for me and my family. I've only had influenza once in my life. It was miserable and I will take all reasonable steps to prevent getting it while pregnant.

I believe in science / evidence based medicine, which is why I have midwifery care during pregnancy, homebirth unless medically contraindicated and vaccinate my children and myself on the schedule recommended by Health Canada. I feel out of place on this site as far as vaccinations are concerned.

Let me also say that I don't believe in forced or mandatory vaccination. But, I've read the primary research, discussed it with my brilliant epidemiologist cousin and made what I feel to be the correct science based decisions regarding vaccination. I am no sheep following the crowd. I am an informed intelligent woman.
#15 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 PM

The 'sin of comission rather than omission' is also what it comes down to for me...but I'm on the other side of the fence. I would rather know that I did my best to prevent and avoid an illness but it found us anyway (and we probably came out of it just fine) than think that I intentionally chose a vaccine and my purposeful choice caused harm to my child. To me, that choice is akin to bringing my children to a "swine flu party," where I'm intentionally exposing them and something bad *might* result...and I'm not about to do that, either.
#16 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j10k View Post
I'm 15 weeks pregnant and I'm getting vaccinated as are the rest of my family, including my almost 14 month old. I'm not "afraid" of H1N1. It's not about fear to me. It's about doing what's best for me and my family. I've only had influenza once in my life. It was miserable and I will take all reasonable steps to prevent getting it while pregnant.

I believe in science / evidence based medicine, which is why I have midwifery care during pregnancy, homebirth unless medically contraindicated and vaccinate my children and myself on the schedule recommended by Health Canada. I feel out of place on this site as far as vaccinations are concerned.

Let me also say that I don't believe in forced or mandatory vaccination. But, I've read the primary research, discussed it with my brilliant epidemiologist cousin and made what I feel to be the correct science based decisions regarding vaccination. I am no sheep following the crowd. I am an informed intelligent woman.
I am just learning about this vaccine....is it safe for pregnant women? Is there research to support it's safety? I am just curious....
#17 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

I won't be getting it or any other flu vax and neither is my DH. I have been very sick 3 times in the last 2 months and I have been tested for the H1N1 as well as Type A flu and have been negative all 3 times. Each time I was encouraged to get the flu shot but as someone pointed out the majority of viral infections are not the flu of any kind. It is just a personal decision for myself (yes I am a no vax mama in general). My mother is getting it because she is considered immuno compromised and has asthma and that is her personal decision. I say do your research and you'll know what is best for your family.

oh also efb during all 3 illnesses and DD was fine the entie time!
#18 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulboy View Post
I'm considering getting the seasonal flu vax, not the H1N1. My midwife thinks that the H1N1 is not fully tested right now so it may be unsafe for women who are pregnant or nursing, and I trust her opinion
It is true that the H1N1 vax isn't fully tested. However, it's made in the exact same way that the seasonal flu vax is made, so *should* have the same side effects/safety.

I personally wouldn't get any vaccines while pregnant. Although since you brought up the nursing issue, I might have to look into that!
#19 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Previous to this summer, we were a fully vaxing family except for the flu shot which neitheer me nor ODS has ever had. DH is in the military so he is mandated to get the flu shot every year.....and even though drs assure you it cannot make you sick....DH gets a low grade fever and cold every year afterwards.

This summer ODS began to show signs of being on the autism spectrum, so at the moment I am not vaxing YDS at all.

That said, someone from our playgroup tested positive for Type A flu. In the following days, ODS got a fever of 103 and was lethargic. He doesn't talk so I couldn't ask him about symptoms. Then I had a high fever and a terrible headache. Then DH got the fever.

Thy baby (YDS) who is 6 months and EBFed never got a thing. I don't know for sure we had the flu, but my gut says we did. It wasn't terrible, and YDS seemed to get my antibodies which kept him healthy.

Michelle, mama to spirited toddler Liam (August 20, 2007) and high needs baby Ben (April 6, 2009)
#20 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM

H1N1 vaccine is the same as season flu vaccine (except for the antigen delivered I believe)

So, what we have to go by is previous studies on the safety of the flu vaccine. Here's one study (abstract only) that said that it is safe and that the cord blood of the babies born to vaccinated women have antibodies against influenza:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0264-410X(03)00351-7

Here's a summary of indicating that the H1N1 vaccine is safe and recommended based on previous influenza vaccines of course. (abstract only)

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2009.09.034

Incidentally, my midwife highly recommended vaccination (as well as taking other precautions - upping vitamin D etc). She has been attending H1N1 seminars for health care providers and I consider her extremely well informed.

For me, if you "believe" in vaccination, this one is a no brainer (it's not a toss up whether you will get immunity like it is with the normal seasonal flu vaccine, this one should actually work!)
#21 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM

#22 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 PM

This thread has been moved out of Life with a Babe and into the Vaccination forum.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#23 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 PM

I don't believe in the flu shot if you're a healthy individual and was pretty against the H1N1 vaccine before talking to the ped. He told me the H1N1 vax is virus specific, unlike the seasonal shot which is a 'shot in the dark'. Just so happened that DH & I could go the very next day for the nasal mist (for free ) because LO is under 6 months. LO will be protected via nursing. This was an OK compromise because LO wasn't getting the vax. By the way, we do vax for most everything else.
#24 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

LO will likely not be protected since the vaccine won't pass through your milk.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...rotection.html

No I am not more afraid of the flu this year. I am more annoyed than ever at all of the fear mongering and scare tactics. We will not be getting any flu shots.

Have you read this about flu vaxes increasing the chance for hospitalization in children?

http://www.thoracic.org/sections/pub...ases/joshi.pdf
#25 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM

I am more freaked out by the garbage in flu vax's then getting the flu. Plus, there is absolutely no scientific evidence that flu vaccines work.
I recently came across several articles that show children vaccinated with the seasonal flu shot are 3 times more likely to become hospitalized for flu related issues.

Here are some of them if anyone is interested:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=414

DS 5-11-06
#26 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisep View Post
We all got the flu shot and I'm considering getting the H1N1 which is the one I'm personally freaking out about. I believe when new viruses enter a population they kick out existing viruses. Therefore no point getting the seasonal flu shot now IMHO.

I'm interested to see the research mentioned by PP regarding mortality rates. It's all about the research for me too. So easy to get pulled in by the media hype.
The info was on Mercola.com..

http://swineflu.mercola.com/sites/swineflu/home.aspx

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#27 of 30 Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Since this was moved to Vax from another forum I just wanted to let everyone know that this discussion will need to remain focused on seasonal flu vaccine. Since the Vax forum is not currently accepting new H1N1/swine flu discussions, please feel free to join an existing thread on that subject so this thread can remain open for discussion.

Also, in case you simply followed the re-direct & are not familiar with the Vax forum, I wanted to point out the guidelines specific to this forum. Please feel free to PM any questions or concerns.
#28 of 30 Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

No flu shots (of any kind) for us...they are ineffective at best, dangerous at worst IMO. It's funny. The serious side effects that are supposed to be 1 in a million...like the cheerleader whose life is now ruined from the season flu vax...well I personally know of 5 people who have had these 1 in a million serios reactions IRL from the flu vax (not counting the ones you hear about fromother people and on the news etc) I'm not that old so the odds of a serious reaction being VERY rare is baloney IMO.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#29 of 30 Old 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM

I also have the same concerns -- I have a 2-week old baby and the new pediatrician we're trying (who is pro-bfing but pro-vaxx unfortunately) said that DH and I should seriously consider getting the H1N1 vaxx to protect our baby from getting it. We also have a 3-year-old toddler in day care whom he also said should get the vaxx. Meanwhile, I stopped vaxxing my toddler at 6 months. DH and I managed to avoid the hype until now but now we're becoming concerned about DS #2 and the pedi saying that if he gets sick now, he automatically goes to the hospital. I'm bfing him a lot so based on the posts above, I'm hoping that even if I did get the H1N1 flu, the antibodies would protect him -- I just don't know how I could even bf if I'm laid so low by the flu. I truly believe DH, my older son and I had it a few months ago when we were sick for several weeks. I'd love to know if we could be checked for titres so we could put this issue to bed! I was pretty comfortable with my non-vaxx stance until the H1N1 hype got to us!
#30 of 30 Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM

maybe it would help some of you to look at Australia and other countries whose flu seasons are winding down now. by all accounts, they have had milder flu seasons with fewer fatalities than in 'normal' flu years. what's up with the US? cdc changed reporting rules for ALL flu this year. In all years past, pediatric deaths from flu had to have lab confirmation. This year, no confirmation needed for any type of flu to be counted as a 'flu' death...so, its really hard to judge whether the young are really being hit harder this year. again, just look at the southern hemisphere. In July, the Australian newspapers were predicting over 6,000 deaths from swine flu (3 times their normal flu fatalities). Turns out they had 186.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page