Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
This is awesome! I love this part from Dr Mercola:
Pediatric Flu Deaths by Year Made WORSE by Flu Vaccine

* 1999 -- - 29 deaths
* 2000 -- - 19 deaths
* 2001 -- - 13 deaths
* 2002 -- - 12 deaths
* 2003 -- - 90 deaths (Year of mass vaccinations of children under age 5 years)
* 2006 -- 78 deaths
* 2007 -- - 88 deaths
* 2008 – 116 deaths (40.9% vaccinated at age 6 months to 23 months)11
i know. that part was horrifying to me. Any idea why that's the case? I mentioned before a study that indicated that there was actually higher incidence of hospitalization in asthmatic children who got the flu shot, so maybe that's it? The study was unclear (asked for more research, I guess) on whether it was the actual flu shot causing it or if it was something else...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#122 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post
is there a thread that has all the info for natural immune boosting flu prevention...i am not familliar with natural prevention.

i have started giving my 10 wk old ebf dd vit d (which i used to always forget...never gave to ds)

ds (almost 3) is now getting the same 400iu's

i am also giving ds omega 3 and multi vit gummi's from the health food store..

our diet has not been good lately....i am having a difficult time shaking these postpartum blues

i will go to the store and get some vit D, and C and multi vits for myself and dh

i am going to get some winterberry....gelsemium

D3?

just info i have gathered from this thread...

nervous about natural remedies too...if i don't know how to use them they can be dangerous too
All of the above is what my sons naturopath told us to give him. Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and winterberry. Oh! and probiotics! If I were you I would ask around in the "find your tribe" forum (here on MDC) for your area and ask for recommendations for a good naturopath. When you get a name of one, just call them up and ask just how much you can give your little ones and yourself (your nursing, so you could pass some on to your wee one.)
#123 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 04:19 PM

All of the media-frenzy and fear mongering are starting to get to me. I keep second guessing my decision to avoid the H1N1 vaccine. My DS is only 9 months old, so I know I won't actually give him the vaccine. But I have heard other parents of babies say that they themselves will get the vaccine to help reduce the risk of the baby getting it. I just don't know what to do. I overheard another mom at playgroup today talking about how her dad didn't want to get the vaccine and she told him he wouldn't see his grandson again until he did. This just seems so crazy. Am I a horrible mom for not getting this vaccine?? I just feel so unsure about everything. I have no idea what to do...

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#124 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
All of the media-frenzy and fear mongering are starting to get to me. I keep second guessing my decision to avoid the H1N1 vaccine. My DS is only 9 months old, so I know I won't actually give him the vaccine. But I have heard other parents of babies say that they themselves will get the vaccine to help reduce the risk of the baby getting it. I just don't know what to do. I overheard another mom at playgroup today talking about how her dad didn't want to get the vaccine and she told him he wouldn't see his grandson again until he did. This just seems so crazy. Am I a horrible mom for not getting this vaccine?? I just feel so unsure about everything. I have no idea what to do...
Funny... I was mentioning to DH the other day that we best find out if the in-laws got the flu-mist version of the shot because if they did, we will plan around not seeing them for the 3 weeks after, to avoid the shedding...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#125 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Funny... I was mentioning to DH the other day that we best find out if the in-laws got the flu-mist version of the shot because if they did, we will plan around not seeing them for the 3 weeks after, to avoid the shedding...
Does the flu mist H1N1 vax shed?

I live on a college campus with my 11 month old. We definitely will NOT be getting the vax but they just did a vax clinic today for all the students, the flu-mist. should I keep my 11 month old away from people for a while?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#126 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM

did anyone read the transcript from Larry King when Dr. Jay Gordon was on it? Dr. Gupta said at the bottom what the little girl who suddenly died, probably died from staph Pneumo. that is what Prevnar covers correct? How come they always throw that secondary infection stuff out there then never, ever address it. It leaves us wondering what the heck to do. I hate that! any thoughts?
#127 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
No you are not a bad mama. First of all, are you breastfeeding? If so you are offering you LO fantastic antibodies to whatever you are exposed to. Also, the vaccine has not been tested on nursing mothers and their infants for safety or effectiveness. In addition, the vaccine hasn't been tested for either safety or effectiveness in children. They literally admit that they don't know what effects good or bad the vax could have on children.
Page 8
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM182242.pdf
I am just dedicating my days to making sure that my ds (18 months) immune system is in tip top shape. That, IMO is the best way to protect him. This whole idea that you can inject these horrible toxins into healthy and unhealthy people alike and it will "save" them all is just ridiculous to me.
#128 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post

I live on a college campus with my 11 month old. We definitely will NOT be getting the vax but they just did a vax clinic today for all the students, the flu-mist. should I keep my 11 month old away from people for a while?
I believe it can shed for up to 3 weeks. I read that on last months H1N1 thread. don't have time to go digging right now. Anyone who has a link or more info...help me out please!
I wouldn't knowingly hang around someone who just got the flu mist, just as I wouldn't knowingly hang around someone who just got the flu. I also know that everytime I go to the grocery store, more than likely someone in there just went to the pharmacy and received the flu mist. I don't live in fear. I just focus on making sure my son can handle the sickness if/when he gets it.
#129 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Every live vaccine sheds. They can shed for up to a month. But i would probably only be overly cautious for a few days, and start supplementing with things like Vit C and D, garlic, etc.

DS 5-11-06
#130 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakah View Post
I believe it can shed for up to 3 weeks. I read that on last months H1N1 thread. don't have time to go digging right now. Anyone who has a link or more info...help me out please!
I wouldn't knowingly hang around someone who just got the flu mist, just as I wouldn't knowingly hang around someone who just got the flu. I also know that everytime I go to the grocery store, more than likely someone in there just went to the pharmacy and received the flu mist. I don't live in fear. I just focus on making sure my son can handle the sickness if/when he gets it.
Yep, I believe the vaccine insert pamphlet says that it has the potential to shed for up to 3 weeks. It's a live-attenuated virus, so yes, it can shed. The chances are slim (I think I read 1%?) and it sheds the altered virus so you get a slightly different bug (stays in the nose or something?), I think.

ETA... the injected version is a dead virus and does NOT shed... for what that's worth...

#131 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post

Yes. Flumist is live, injection is not.

And, while I would not panic about it, I also would not have anyone too close to her if it can be avoided. Obviously you have to use your own judgment on that one, but I wouldn't have anyone up in her face, iykwim.
#132 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 PM

I bit the bullet and made an appoint to bring my dd (3.5 yrs) in for her flu shot this coming mon. A little history. She has neuro issues, seizures (well controlled with meds) and dev. delays. If it wasn't for the fact that she had a 5 day hospitalization for rsv and double pneumonia last winter, I wouldn't even be writing this. As it were, I am between a rock and a hard place. To risk poss. neuro effects and her beautiful seizure control or risk her getting sick as she did last year.

Anyhow, my question is this. I am a nursing mom to ds (8 mos) and have a stash of EBM in the freezer. Do you think giving it to dd pre and post injection would boost her immune system?

TIA!

Mary

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!
#133 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmothermary View Post
I bit the bullet and made an appoint to bring my dd (3.5 yrs) in for her flu shot this coming mon. A little history. She has neuro issues, seizures (well controlled with meds) and dev. delays. If it wasn't for the fact that she had a 5 day hospitalization for rsv and double pneumonia last winter, I wouldn't even be writing this. As it were, I am between a rock and a hard place. To risk poss. neuro effects and her beautiful seizure control or risk her getting sick as she did last year.

Anyhow, my question is this. I am a nursing mom to ds (8 mos) and have a stash of EBM in the freezer. Do you think giving it to dd pre and post injection would boost her immune system?

TIA!

Mary
Not sure about the bm, but I know someone whose child got a seizure from a flu shot, and now has neuro issues. please be careful

DS 5-11-06
#134 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:

TIA!

Mary

Your breastmilk is specially tailored to your 8 month old. I am not sure it would really help. Maybe if you pumped it recently it might??

I know what you mean about a rock and a hard place, it is a tough decision. I certainly understand you wanting to take every precaution. I think in your situation I would make the same decision. My nephew also has lung issues from RSV and my sister is considering the shot very carefully.

My ds has a heart condition and his cardiologist really wants him to get it. I am really torn up about it.

There are no simple answers when one considers the individual needs of the child with medical issues.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#135 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:

TIA!

Mary
I think expressing some fresh would have more immune factors in it to help her out. Frozen may lose some of those things, but I'm not sure. Can't hurt, though!

#136 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Anybody see this thread in the "I'm not vaccinating" forum?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1157768
* short story...child with developmental delays was given the mist, and is now on a ventilator and having seizures. Dr.s found infection in the lungs, but say it is just a coincidence that it happened after receiving the mist.
#137 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:

TIA!

Mary
I think nutritional supps would be more protective as a short-term measure. At least bowel tolerance vitC for, maybe a week before and a week after? Guessing on timeframes, and consider zinc, it's important both for immune function and detox pathways and it's not unusual to be somewhat low in the US. As a general measure (not necessarily before, just in general this fall/winter), if you have to do blood draws anyway, ask to get her vitD level checked? Hard choices.
#138 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I am sorry...but I can't read this whole thread and I am looking for information for my DH. He is very worried about this flu. His mother is pressuring him to get our children vaccinated. We live in Canada and have two children 2 years old and 5 years old. One is just getting over chicken pox, and the other is likely to get it....so vaccinating is totally out of the question right now...and will be in my opinion. Can anyone answer my questions...and post links if possible?

1. Is the children's vaccination free of thermisol?
2. Where can I find information on serious side effects from the vaccine?
3. Have any of the people hospitalized/ or deaths been VACCINATED people? This is an important one for me. I can't find out if any of the people that died had their vaccine.
4. Is there any prediction how long the flu will be around?
5. If the vaccine is effective shouldn't the cases of H1N1 decrease dramatically? Has this started to happen?
6. How much total immunity does the vaccine give? (I remember with the flu vaccine, my employer saying that it provides protection but you can still get the flu but it would be more mild than if you didn't get the vaccine...how on Earth do they know this?)
7. When is the seasonal flu supposed to hit?
8. If children need two shots three weeks apart and the vaccine takes three weeks to be effective....am I right to understand that they take 6 weeks to have immunity?

Thanks so much! I would love to research this...but I am having computer troubles and only have a little time on here before it shuts down...I will check back to see if anyone can answer my questions....thanks
I can't necessarily answer all your questions, but wanted to give you this link to the Health Canada website Towards the middle of the page, there are a few headings under H1N1 Flu Virus. I have found a LOT of helpful information after reading through some of it, and I'm still reading. They have the entire product information pamphlet (for the adjuvanted vaccine). Also check out the FAQ's, specifically the vaccine ones. I found some very surprising information in there. Something to note, specifically for any other Canadians reading this: Canada is using primarily the adjuvanted vaccine. The US is using strictly the unadjuvanted vaccine, as well as the FluMist This makes a huge difference when us Canadians come on these threads and read posts from Americans discussing preservatives, effectiveness, etc of the vax, not realizing that they are talking about the unadjuvanted shot, which is not available to any Canadians except pregnant women.

Oh, and for your first question: Yes, both versions of the vaccine in Canada contain thimerosal.

Semi-crunchy mama to DD (7/06) and DS (8/08), and thrilled to be 
belly.gif due around mid-December 2011, and planning another h20homebirth.gif
#139 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsmamma2 View Post
did anyone read the transcript from Larry King when Dr. Jay Gordon was on it? Dr. Gupta said at the bottom what the little girl who suddenly died, probably died from staph Pneumo. that is what Prevnar covers correct? How come they always throw that secondary infection stuff out there then never, ever address it. It leaves us wondering what the heck to do. I hate that! any thoughts?
No. Prevnar covers 7 strains of streptococcus pneumoniae. Staph infections are completely outside the realm of Prevnar.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#140 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 PM

MRSA is a staph infection, no? "multi-antibiotic resistant staph aurious" or something?

#141 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
MRSA is a staph infection, no? "multi-antibiotic resistant staph aurious" or something?
Yep. Its a staph infection:
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
#142 of 555 Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 PM

And isn't Prevnar causing more staph infections?

So my son was in the NICU for a week after he was born with pneumonia, should I be concerned that this flu may hit him harder? He is 15 months old now and we had decided no to the vaccine, but everyday I wonder with his history we should consider it.
#143 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
. The chances are slim (I think I read 1%?)
I read 3%.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#144 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 05:08 AM

I hadn't really considered this before, but my babysitter is getting the shot today. She will be babysitting for me on Monday (3 1/2 days later). Could she be contagious or possibly even get the flu after getting the shot? I realize the flu mist sheds and so the person is most likely contagious. But with the shot, how much of a threat is there?
#145 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM

I think that last year and the year before, it was not newsworthy to hear about children dying from flu, and I didn't see anything about it the news. This year they are focusing on these sad, sad events in the news.

caffix.gif

#146 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyintraining2 View Post
I hadn't really considered this before, but my babysitter is getting the shot today. She will be babysitting for me on Monday (3 1/2 days later). Could she be contagious or possibly even get the flu after getting the shot? I realize the flu mist sheds and so the person is most likely contagious. But with the shot, how much of a threat is there?
None. It's not a live virus. With the flu mist (nasal), it is a live weakened virus designed to replicate only in cold temperatures. If you're really really nervous, the recommendation is for those with the nasal mist avoid all immuno-compromised people (such as BMT) for 7 days. So you could have her hold off... but honestly, I don't think you need to take such precautions with the shot with is not live.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#147 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney205 View Post
And isn't Prevnar causing more staph infections?

So my son was in the NICU for a week after he was born with pneumonia, should I be concerned that this flu may hit him harder? He is 15 months old now and we had decided no to the vaccine, but everyday I wonder with his history we should consider it.
Talk to your pediatrician. Has he been prone to any upper respiratory illnesses? Does he have asthma? Those are things that you might want to consider having the flu shot (not mist for his age). I'm not sure if pneumonia 15 months ago counts or not--so talk to your pediatrician. I was a premie and had pneumonia a few times as a kid (once as a baby)... but I don't know if I was more prone to it due to being a premie and having pneumonia very young. :

#148 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 AM

So, my DD (2), DS2 (4), and myself all had the nasal mist H1N1 yesterday. DS1 needs to get it as well, but we got the last three doses. Both of my parents are immunocompromised, so I thought it made sense. (We won't be seeing them until Thanksgiving--so I wasn't concerned about the live weakened virus.)

DS2 did really well with inhaling both times. It was harder for DD2, but I believe she got some. The NP suggested that we do the shot for their second dose, as there's no room for "user" error.

Might be something that those of you considering the vaccine for your kids to think about. They have to inhale strongly as they place the vaccine in both nostrils. Apparently, a lot of kids naturally inhale but then exhale.

I'll see what's available for DS1 for his first dose. I think he'd do fine with the nasal, as he's older and good at following directions. Right now, our area doesn't have much of anything available.

#149 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 PM

The baby isn't the one who would have gotten the H1N1 shot, the family would have. They don't give it under 6 months of age.

The Canadian vax is now available. Some places have run out and are waiting on shipments.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#150 of 555 Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Hey all,

I wrote earlier about getting my son vax'd for this. I have not as yet done so, but am working towards it.

In the end the adjunct in the vax (in Canada) freaked me out and we are waiting until the next supply (apparently Canada has un-adjuncted for kids on order).

Until then, I will keep reading all the info everyone finds for us.

Thanks,

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page