DTaP and eczema - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else seen a link between the DTaP vaccine and eczema? My DD had beautiful skin until we started her on vax at 4 months. We did DTaP at four months and HIB at five months. She was already suffering red, itchy skin by the HIB shot. I don't want to get her any more vax EVER--or at least until she's a lot older and actually needs specific ones. She's now six months and the skin situation is just getting worse. I've been eating a lot of dairy lately so I'm going to cut that out and hope it helps. I'm wondering if the dairy allergy could be from the vax also.

I would be happy to not vax at all, but my hubby is a science guy and thinks we need some, though very selective and delayed. We did DTap and HIB with our older daughter and didn't see any reaction.

My poor baby is going crazy with the itching and it's affecting her sleep. I feel like a HORRIBLE mom for letting her get any shots. I'm worried now that she'll be afflicted for life with skin conditions and allergies.

Any remedies to recommend? My midwife told me today to get a certain coconut lotion (Skin Trip) that she's seen help even babies with severe eczema, when even steroids didn't help.

thanks.
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 10 Old 11-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

My son had beautiful skin up until 4 months of age when a ped BS'd us into vaccinating him. Bottom line he got 9 shots total (3 sets of DTaP, HiB and PCV) before I started my research at 4, 6 and 8 months of age. Each time after the shots he would get worse and worse outbreak of eczema (I was just too silly to connect the dots till it was too late). He is 4.5yo now and still has problems with eczema . I believe it was caused by vaccines. Our dd is vax-free and never had this problem.
Also prior to vaccines our son was very calm, he was waking up a lot at night, but would never cry, just make those cute baby sounds till I wake up and nurse him. Right after the first vax set (at 4 months) he became like a different baby: waking up and screaming. He's never been so calm afterwards . Now of course it makes perfect sense since there are heavy neuro-toxins in vaccines. I just wish I knew it before I allowed him to get any vaxs...
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 PM

My vaxed son was the same. He had perfect skin for the first 2 months then he devloped eczema, in the spring of all times. It's much worse in the winter for him now. He is 7 almost 8 and it has gotten better with each passing year. He hasn't been vaxed since 17 months old. My unvaxed son still has perfect skin at 3, no sign of eczema on him.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#4 of 10 Old 11-26-2009, 08:39 PM

My dd got developed eczema within a week of her 2 month shots then after the 4 month ones she went off the charts horrible with it face swollen and red hair fell out, hands swelled up etc. and after each set of vax from that point on she would have horrific flairs and ended up on 2 seperate occasions had to have steroid shots because she was in danger of developing infection from her busted hands.

I didnt even realize what was going on but it is clear as day looking back what happened. I can actually look at a picture of her before and after each vax and see the damage.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 10 Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 PM

My daughter received her first and only set of shots at 3 months - DTaP. She stopped babbling, stopped smiling, she had on and off fits of crying for a week like she had never had before (or since), her head would 'shudder' and her legs blew up with excema within a week after the jab. It looked like a like a cheese grator was dragged up and down them from her knees to her ankles. (The babblling and smiling started to return at 8 months thankfully).Too early to do any allergy testing at 3 months I went on elimination diets (removed dairy, wheat etc...), removed carpeting, removed any wool that was around, dressed her only in light cotton, tried every cream, oil, salve, (natural and not) out there, tried oat baths/pastes (made it worse).....bathed her often with sea salt or baking powder added to water then coated her legs in Eucerin (the ONLY thing that worked for her). Phew...it was a CRAZY, exasperating and painful time for us and our daughter in her first year. A never ending quest to figure out the source of her excema even though I was convinced it had something to do with the DTaP shot. We never did anymore vaccines. By her allergy appointment at 13 months the excema was edging off. Poppy still had very itchy, dry legs and bouts of excema (3 week cycles) but it was far, far less that when it had started. She could now go barefoot without tearing up her ankles. She had a skin prick test at 13months. The only thing she was allergic to was EGGS...not dairy, not wheat, not nuts, not citrus...nothing else. Her reaction to egg was not anaphylactic but it was severe. Did she have that reaction as a result of the pertussis component in DTaP being cultivated in egg embryo?! I believe she did. I also believe that if we had continued to vax then her excema would have doubled / tripled. Interestingly, the allergist and our doctor disagreed on vaxing further (not that it mattered to us because we refused to do any more). While the allergist believes there is no link our mainstream doctor immediately said, 'no shots'. We had susbequent allergy tests and by the time Poppy turned 3 yrs she had outgrown her egg allergy. Her allergist remarked that she had almost never seen a young child outgrow that severity of egg reaction in such a short time.

At 4 yrs, Poppy is excema and allergy free. She also hates eggs. Go figure.
#6 of 10 Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 AM

My dd also has egg allergy that we didnt learn about until she had allergy testing at around 2yo. She is also reactive to nearly every nut there is some more than others including peanuts.

I often wonder if the vax was the cause of the allergies or if the allergy was there to start with. I lean toward vax causing because before those vax her skin was soft and smooth and she had no issues even with me eating the things she was diagnosed allergic to.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 10 Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM

i started a thread in non-vaxing about eczema because i'd always associated it with vaccine use and there were a LOT of kiddos with it. my dd has it and she's unvaxed.

i only bring this up to point out that it happens in the absence of vaccines too so while it may have made a difference not to get the vax, she may have had eczema anyway.
applejuice likes this.

eh. who needs a signature?
#8 of 10 Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM

My DD's skin improved a lot since I"ve been giving her flaxseed oil everyday... I get the good 'cold pressed' (in frig) stuff from the healthfood store.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM

I personally had to received the DTaP to work in the neonatal intensive care unit, as do all nurses who work in the NICU, pediatric and pediatric intensive care units so we do not give our patients these diseases.  Within an hour of receiving the vaccine, I had every adverse reaction listed on the patient information handout.  Employee health and my personal physician did not believe that I reacted so badly to the vaccine; my physician saw me the day after I received the vaccine and then advised me to never get the DTap again.  Several weeks later, I had, what I thought was an allergic reaction to the detergent used to wash the hospital laundered scrubs (an independent company) and many of my co-workers complained of the same itchy symptoms and I was advised to take my scrubs home and wash them there.  The symptoms persisted and I became allergic to almost everything that came in contact with my skin. I saw employee health, my physician, dermatologists and an allergist. I was on steroids (oral and topical, sprays and ointments) starting with a medrol dose pack - repeated several times and eventually a daily dose of Prednisone, a pediatric dose of Benadryl since I am sensitive to allergy medications; I sought holistic treatments, some would improve the condition for a short time but never ceasing the itching, sores and scarring; I even tried tanning out of despiration. Two weeks ago (2 years after the vaccine and constant symptoms) I had a skin biopsy which revealed Eczema and was advised not to eat milk, cheese, peanut butter and soybeans and was given another steroidal ointment.  I can say my skin is getting better, but I am embarrassed to wear shorts and forget a bathing suit!  Today, I saw an advertisement for an osteoporosis drug that stated one of the side effects is eczema, I began searching the internet which led me to your post.  SO, I would agree with you that the DTaP can cause eczema.  As for future vaccines for your baby, you will have to discuss that with your physician. Some vaccines can only be given as a combination and fewer are available to be given individually. I know my pediatricians will not, under any circumstances, stray from the Academy of Pediatrics vaccine schedule and dosing. You may have to search for a physician who will work with you on altering the vaccine schedule. Good luck to you and your baby.

VJ, RNC, BSN

#10 of 10 Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 AM

As parents, we can report any adverse effect to medications or  vaccines to the Department of Health and Human Services

http://vaers.hhs.gov/index

This is how data is collected and research can begin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page