December H1N1/Swine Flu Vax Discussion - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a dilemma over the H1N1 vaccine and need some advice from fellow Canadians but others are more than welcome to chime in.

My ds is 19 months old and had his first dose of the adjuvanted H1N1 vaccine here in Canada in November. He received half the adult dose. He is supposed to get a second dose but we have been putting it off. We just found out that children 3 years and over only need the first dose but children between 6 months and 3 years are to receive two doses at least 3 weeks between.

I just haven't been able to find out a good solid reason for getting the second dose. So, I was hoping that someone could explain to me the point of the second dose.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningcalm View Post
I have a dilemma over the H1N1 vaccine and need some advice from fellow Canadians but others are more than welcome to chime in.

My ds is 19 months old and had his first dose of the adjuvanted H1N1 vaccine here in Canada in November. He received half the adult dose. He is supposed to get a second dose but we have been putting it off. We just found out that children 3 years and over only need the first dose but children between 6 months and 3 years are to receive two doses at least 3 weeks between.

I just haven't been able to find out a good solid reason for getting the second dose. So, I was hoping that someone could explain to me the point of the second dose.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sorry, I'm not Canadian, but presumably the reason for getting the second dose is the same as it is everywhere. If you look at the studies on how effective the vaccine is (the ones they used to figure out dosing), the little children have less of an immune response, so they need the booster to make it so their immune response (the tested levels of antibodies) is up to where it "should" be. In the US, because the vaccine is unadjuvanted, they're asking kids under... 7? ( I can't remember, but it's much older ) to get the second vaccine, because the first alone only gives something like 25% immunity, thus you need a second shot to increase that. (sorry, I just woke up and I don't have the energy to find the reports - I'm pretty sure someone posted links to them in the October or November H1N1 Vax thread)

I highly recommend reading the Atlantic's article Does the Vaccine Matter? That plus the fact that we're on the downslope here in the US - well, really we've finished - the pandemic has petered out (and I imagine Canada is nearly done with their flu issues, too, but I don't have data on that) may give you some real food for thought.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
(and I imagine Canada is nearly done with their flu issues, too, but I don't have data on that)
Google flu trends for Canada:

http://www.google.org/flutrends/intl/en_us/ca/

Appears to have bottomed out even more than the US.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM

Who here got the swine flu mist? DH has to get by the end of the year, courtesy of the military. How sick did you get? For how long? Did you infect family members through shedding?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
Who here got the swine flu mist? DH has to get by the end of the year, courtesy of the military. How sick did you get? For how long? Did you infect family members through shedding?

Thanks!

The kids and I all got the flumist. Husband did not. One of my kids had loose stools for 2 days. No other symptoms. No spreading of the virus through shedding that I knew of.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 PM

Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 AM

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

Old 12-23-2009, 02:00 AM

So... Let me get this straight:

"Swine flu is coming! We're all gonna DIE!"

"We don't have any vaccines! Let's hurry up and make them!"

"Get your kids vaccinated! But we don't have enough!"

"Well, yeah, we totally recalled millions of doses because they aren't strong enough, but, you know, it doesn't really matter... Your kids will be fine."

AND

"Since we've got extras now, why don't you just go ahead and get your kid a second shot, you know, just for the heck of it."

I'm with you, Juvysen.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Google flu trends for Canada:

http://www.google.org/flutrends/intl/en_us/ca/

Appears to have bottomed out even more than the US.
Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM

In Quebec, vaccination centers have closed since the 18th of December since no one seemed to be using them anymore . In a desperate attempt to still get people vaccinated, the Quebec gov't decided to spend even more money in a website trying to get people vaccinated for altruistic reasons :
http://www.whyshouldi.ca/
Old 12-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Sometimes I say many people would question Vaccines vs Illness if they knew what 'c&ap was in them and I even mention what is in there and they are like yeah right there is no way but they keep on saying vaxes are safer than the disease out there .

Yeah putting over the limit of mercury into our bodies now since my brother & SIL had their girl vax with flu & h1n1 shot at her 6 month appt.

So, I'm like golly geez here I'm the crunchy one of the family question most all vaxes but select certain vaxes but would rather not vax at all but then who knows how certain vaxes are going to react at each time it gets me into the sigh but to some people it's like vaxes are good and if vaxes are out for that disease then the disease must be horribly bad.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:53 AM

Apologies for crashing this thread. I tried to start a different discussion but got redirected here. I have tried to read thread but I have bad headcold so can't concentrate well.

what I asked is why were only about 13 million doses of H1N1 prepared for people in California.

Because they are usually too expensive for people to get, and no point in vaccinating the poor, they always get shafted, what's new?
Because 24 million people either don't want it or haven't heard of the epidemic or they already had SF?.
Because it turns out that herd immunity can be achieved with 35% coverage?

And why were there no TV or radio commercials here -- that I've heard, anyway -- telling people where they can get the H1N1 jab? And urging them to get it?

I don't understand the logic behind this campaign -- it looks almost completely pointless.

Ta.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Many people believe vaccinations are safe & protective but if you get a flu from the vax it's like you would have been worse if you hadn't gotten the vax.

Many people just take doctors & medical staff to the belief of heart even when it's a total new vax but you don't know how 'really true it's going to be effective against the SF who knows maybe those who end up getting the sf/h1n1 vax end up getting a violent h1n1 because of the vax that turned into mutation into a 'bad form .

But then you question how can some young kids die from secondary complications because one if you get menigitis diagnosed right away the death rate is only 15 % the rest are totally treatable so how could someone miss an early menigitis diagnosis ? Along with pnemonia because when I had my bronchitis and mom had bronchitis last year .

We were giving antibiotics but the first round of antibiotics didn't work so I was given around 3 antibiotics and the zithromax ended up being the one that worked.

So when I had the type A flu one doctor told me I'm crazy go home you will feel better within a few weeks and the next time I showed up I said I'm having some chest issues she goes okay your having bronchospasms so she gave me a breathing treatment boy that felt good then she told me to use albuterol inhaler .

So that's what i did and after 4 wks use of it my throat was hurting and I was loosing my voice so I stopped using it and I did ask around many doctors/nurses/pharmacist of a reaction to the albuterol and only one pharmacist who was at the westend walmart told me hey it's common for people to go through that then it gets better after use .

I was even prescribed predisone ( i didn't take them but mom was too so she took them) the mention of predisone messing up your body scared the c%ap out of me so I didn't do them and I even read of how sometimes that inhaler could end up with killing someone because it was in one of the testimonials saying about this lady hubby ended up with albuterol so he took it for a month now he's dead.

Also, I have gerd reflux and it said right on the website form do not use the inhaler if you have some acid reflux disease .

You do question when it comes to the first dose for kids if it only gives supposed 25 % immunity to the H1n1 virus so why would it give full immunity to Adults ? But if you read up on the information that the h1n1 vaccination is under 50% effective .

Our newstation is even promoting the vaccination because they were hosting the vax clinic at our mall & even giving nasal mist down there so I go oh great now my boy is really exposed to the h1n1 virus because mom & dan got the shot for h1n1.

They did a poll sayin that some people haven't gotten the h1n1 shot because they don't believe it is as bad as thought to be even stating that parents won't have their children get one is to about 35% for safety concerns but then at the end the make the statement but they are urging everyone to get the h1n1 shot so then I kept on thinking have they gotten their h1n1 shot.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
In Quebec, vaccination centers have closed since the 18th of December since no one seemed to be using them anymore . In a desperate attempt to still get people vaccinated, the Quebec gov't decided to spend even more money in a website trying to get people vaccinated for altruistic reasons :
http://www.whyshouldi.ca/
OMG that website is crap.

caffix.gif

Old 12-31-2009, 08:44 PM

Sorry if this was already said...

They came out with a new study today that said just because you live with someone that has H1N1 doesn't make your chances of getting it any higher. Which is funny, because they were saying before as a way to prevent it from spreading in the home, to put the person with H1N1 in a room by themselves and keep everyone else away, limiting the person taking care of the H1N1 person to one. So to me this says it really isn't any more contagious than anything else. Silly government.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
Sorry if this was already said...

They came out with a new study today that said just because you live with someone that has H1N1 doesn't make your chances of getting it any higher. Which is funny, because they were saying before as a way to prevent it from spreading in the home, to put the person with H1N1 in a room by themselves and keep everyone else away, limiting the person taking care of the H1N1 person to one. So to me this says it really isn't any more contagious than anything else. Silly government.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Just heard on NPR's version of the local news that a third wave is predicted soon... Everything i've heard said that this last wave was over b/c we hit a level of herd immunity (i.e. enough of the population had had a case of it already) that it was in decline... so uh... how do they figure?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Just heard on NPR's version of the local news that a third wave is predicted soon... Everything i've heard said that this last wave was over b/c we hit a level of herd immunity (i.e. enough of the population had had a case of it already) that it was in decline... so uh... how do they figure?
IMO, the so-called "third wave" is going to be the regular seasonal flu- after all, it's usually around this time of year that the regular flu hits hard.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Why is it when my stepfather is actually allergic to some of the ingredients in the shots that he gets he never gets a bad reaction ? Does that mean there are minimal stuff in there ?

What about mom even though she doesn't have physical side effects or respiratory side effects from vaxes she recieved but could her mentality that is her forgetfulness getting even worse be fault of the vax issue ?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Interesting. A look at Google flu trends shows that the majority of states are starting to go up on flu activity. That's great. But, as another poster said, it is at the time that the "regular" flu activity has began for most of the previous years. So are we going to see a wave of H1N1 or just a wave of regular old flu?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Interesting. A look at Google flu trends shows that the majority of states are starting to go up on flu activity. That's great. But, as another poster said, it is at the time that the "regular" flu activity has began for most of the previous years. So are we going to see a wave of H1N1 or just a wave of regular old flu?
Yeah. It just occurred to me that this is probably the time we'd be most likely to see a mutation.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Yeah. It just occurred to me that this is probably the time we'd be most likely to see a mutation.
True, but that'd likely make the vaccine useless... because it'd probably be mutating against the herd immunity we already have, and both the vaccine and the wild immunity are based on the same stuff, no?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
True, but that'd likely make the vaccine useless... because it'd probably be mutating against the herd immunity we already have, and both the vaccine and the wild immunity are based on the same stuff, no?
Yup.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Yup.
So let's push the vaccine, you know, against the third wave

Old 01-04-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Closing for the end of the month. Please feel free to join January's discussion:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1179387

User Tag List