Rotavirus vax for international travel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 12 month dd is unvaxed at this point, and we will be traveling to Nairobi, Kenya for 3 months next summer. I used to live there and my DH is from Nairobi so we will be visiting lots of family and friends, so we won't be in tourist areas.

I'm researching each of the vaccines and diseases to see if there are any that we would want to give our dd before we go (she will be 18 months when we travel).

What do you think of the rotavirus vaccine? I know rotavirus is very common in Kenya and it's likely that our dd will have some stomach troubles just because her diet will be different than what she is used to.

I'm hestitant to give this because it's still new and it seems like there are other avenues available for treating rotavirus, and it's unlikely that rotavirus would cause long term effects or be fatal.

What do you think?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your baby is over 16 weeks they will not start the vaccine series.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Really? Well that makes my decision easy!

Why don't they give it to older babies?

#4 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Because Rotovirus is not a serous illness esp in healthy infants. The big wory is dehydration.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#5 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 PM

yep, not that I wanted it anyway for my son, but at 19 weeks they told me he was 'too old'.

They dont give that vax in England anyway, it wasnt on my list of possible vax's

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#6 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM

Right! no rotovirus vax needed at this age. Most kids go through it sooner or later and do just fine.

I would absolutely not vaccinate for anything. You can deal with an infection, if you know how to take care of it, but if there is a vaccine reaction, you may be facing years of regret.

Don't feed him food from venders, wash every fruit and vegetable before feeding it to him....same precautions you would take normally, then he will be just fine.

I would probably take my SA, echinacea, colloidal silver, Ludol's Iodine, and a few homeopathic things with me just in case. I always do!
#7 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 01:15 PM

Ditto to the others. It is only started in very young newborns.
You don't have to worry about rotavirus when you have clean water, shelter and food and access to IV hydration (which is the worst case scenario). We all had rotavirus, it's a diarrhea infection that we go through as toddlers and hence we are immune.
I crossed that vaccine off the list right away. My future worry about rotavirus is that nobody know how long the vaccine protects, what if it wears off and those kids get it when they are really old? Diarrhea infections are pretty dangerous to seniors. Better be immune to it.
#8 of 8 Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Great, one less vax to worry about...

Gitti, thanks, I really don't want to give her any vaxes...it seems like most things I've read that support not vaxing say that international travel makes vaxes worth considering...

So I'm going through each vax and researching and crossing them off my list so at least I know the risks of the disease in Kenya and the risk of the vaxes.

I think polio and dtap might be the only ones I seriously consider, so I'm saving those to research last so I can be most thorough. and i'm more concerned about dtap than other vaxes because of the reactivity...

maybe i shouldn't, but i feel irresponsible for taking her on international travel without any vaxes..my dr and my mom are pushing me to at least get her some, but i haven't found any yet that i think she should get.

these boards are a wealth of information, i'm sure i'll be back with more questions about specific vaxes as i continue this research...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page