Whats the point of HIB after 15mo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-12-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am confused by something...

I see a lot of people saying they will get Hib at 15mo because they only need one shot then. Why would you do this? Isn't hib most dangerous under 1 year and not dangerous after 2?

If you are really worried about Hib wouldn't you start at 2mo like suggested?

Also, why does a little infant need 3 doses when a 15 mo old only needs 1?

Do people need to get their children vaxed for school and that is why they wait?
#2 of 6 Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM

I will just answer the one question since I don't have time to research the rest right now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomnky View Post

Do people need to get their children vaxed for school and that is why they wait?
No, no one needs to get their children vaccinated for school. Vaccines are only recommended but not demanded. Every state has some sort of exemption.
#3 of 6 Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 AM

I had a friend ask me a similar question, does anyone know any more info on HIB?

Thanks!
#4 of 6 Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There's a lot of good threads on here about Hib. I'd do a search and start with those first.

The short answer to your question is that the risk of contracting Hib decreases with the age of the child. Greatest risk under age 1. Then the risk decreases with every year afterwards. Yes, there are 3 and 4 year olds who come down with invasive Hib, but from what I recall reading the peak age of cases was around 11 months.

And there are other risk factors too...not just age. So, it's also beneficial to be aware of those...smoking in the house, older siblings, child in daycare, not breastfeeding etc.

And the vaccine is not recommended after age 5 years.

As for doses, I would imagine it has to do with the immune system of a 2 month old versus an 18 month old and adequate immune response.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#5 of 6 Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I will just answer the one question since I don't have time to research the rest right now:

No, no one needs to get their children vaccinated for school. Vaccines are only recommended but not demanded. Every state has some sort of exemption.
Some states only have a medical exemption that requires a doctor to state that it is not medically advisable for your child to get vaccinated.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#6 of 6 Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post
Some states only have a medical exemption that requires a doctor to state that it is not medically advisable for your child to get vaccinated.
However, most states do not require Hib for regular-school entry. Since Hib is not recommended after age 5, it's hard for states to require children older than that to have it. Most places, Hib is only required for daycare and preschool entry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page