Help! DH got 2 flu vaxs yesterday... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's in the Air Force and put it off as long as he could, but they made him have both the seasonal and H1N1 vaxs yesterday. We didn't know ahead of time, otherwise I would have loaded him up on vitamins or something. What can/should I do to keep myself and my 5 month old dd from getting sick? I'm really nervous now...
It may just be coincidence, but she's stuffier than usual this morning.
I tried to search for previous posts, but couldn't find anything???
Any advice, please?
TIA!

Proud Air Force wife and first time mom to a beautiful baby girl , born naturally at home July 09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 AM

My dh had both and neighter of us got sick, nor did he.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Did he get the shots or the nasal mist?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 PM

If he got the shot you guys will be fine...and I think that's what most of the Air Force is using. My DH is also AF and got the flu shot (they didn't make swine flu mandatory for him) DS and I were fine.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM

The mists shed, the shots don't. He might feel crappy either way.
The AF always does the nasal mist - they bought it mostly and the shots is only for pregnant duty members or children under 2 (at their clinics). Both Vandenberg AFB and Warren AFB only ever give the mist. We jumped the gun by getting DH's flu shot at CVS. So far, the H1N1 hasn't arrived here yet (shot) and we sorta hope they forget about it.
Anyways, the mist makes you really sick. Give him vitamins A (from cod liver oil), C (preferably sodium ascorbate) and plenty D3 (20,000 IU per day for 5 days or 7 days will do). Also fluids, and little carbs (sugars distract the immune system).. DH had the same thing happen last year and got the mist, he was sick, so were all his friends, this year we knew and got the shot, and the other guys in his squadron all were sick on different levels - over 30% were down and at home for a couple days!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 PM

DH is airforce and so far luckily has had no mention of the H1N1 shot. He told them he'd refuse it and they said 'that's fine, you'll just be non-deployable'

he DID have to get the seasonal flu shot about 8 weeks ago, they went to give him the mist and he said 'no, absolutely 100% NO! the shot or nothing' As im pregnant and we didnt want to risk the virus shedding. After some debate and an officer being called he was indeed allowed to get the shot and not the mist.

Hope your DH feels OK.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 12-15-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
Now I can't remember which was which, but he got one shot and one mist. The other guys in his shop all got really sick after getting their's. And my DH usually gets sick after getting his annual seasonal flu shot. So, I'm dreading this...
DD is congested (can hear it when she breathes), her nose was runny this morning, had watery eyes, pretty fussy. She seems to be doing better right now (she's napping, which is good). I'm hoping she doesn't get any worse. I'm not sure if it's even too early for her to be effected by his vaccinations, or if she picked something up over the weekend at the Christmas party. Either way, I don't want her to get sick

eta: he asked for the shot for both and they wouldn't do it.

Proud Air Force wife and first time mom to a beautiful baby girl , born naturally at home July 09
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM

DH said he would rather get paperwork/get in trouble/be arrested rather than get the mist

Needless to say, he has a bit of a reputation for being PITA

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM

I'm surprised that so many people are saying their AF DH had to get MIST? My DH got the actual shot...he said no one even mentioned the mist...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 PM

AFWife where are you? Dh asked to get the shot instead of the mist and they made a HUGE fuss. The Major responsible for the vax clinic appeared and said no way ever the mist sheds, ever, and he will not get the shot. Mist it is. He then said hey how about going off base paying myself for it? They said that's ok and were still super PI**ED, I mean majorly, cough cough so to speak.
At Vandenberg the only one to get out of the mist was a co-worker who had a severely sick baby. They gave the mist to DH and said it's fine that he has a 3 months old at home. Go figure how crazy they are. They lied many times saying it's not shedding, hello it is in the freaking package insert!!! The vax clinic people make my blood boil. Sooo glad I never have to go there neither has DS!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 PM

Even if he was shedding the virus she would not be symptomatic that quickly - probably just a coincedence. Hope she feels better soon.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, she seems to be doing ok...just a yucky nose and a bit fussy. I have a bit of a runny nose and DH seems fine so far. Maybe we'll get lucky!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
AFWife where are you? Dh asked to get the shot instead of the mist and they made a HUGE fuss. The Major responsible for the vax clinic appeared and said no way ever the mist sheds, ever, and he will not get the shot. Mist it is. He then said hey how about going off base paying myself for it? They said that's ok and were still super PI**ED, I mean majorly, cough cough so to speak.
At Vandenberg the only one to get out of the mist was a co-worker who had a severely sick baby. They gave the mist to DH and said it's fine that he has a 3 months old at home. Go figure how crazy they are. They lied many times saying it's not shedding, hello it is in the freaking package insert!!! The vax clinic people make my blood boil. Sooo glad I never have to go there neither has DS!!!!
We're in San Antonio, Texas at Lackland Air Force Base...

Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libba View Post
Even if he was shedding the virus she would not be symptomatic that quickly - probably just a coincedence. Hope she feels better soon.

This. Glad she seems to be feeling better. The chance of you guys getting sick from his vaccine is pretty slim, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Take care.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 PM

The mist would be shedding right away and everyone in the family got the immunization in a round about way. Take plenty of C and everything else you do for a cold, flu.

User Tag List