Is this a dtap reaction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10 mo old DS has had 2 vaxes (dtap at 4mos & 6mos) and we are holding off on doing any more for now. But I was thinking back to his 4mo shot and started wondering if what I saw was a reaction to the shot.

He had the shot, squeaked but didn't cry (and believe me, this kid is a BIG crier, so that alone shocked me!) We checked out/paid for the visit & then brought him out to the car. When we got to the car he had the most vacant stare in his eyes. He looked like all the life had been sucked out of him. My heart sank but at the time I figured he was just tired -- but I haven't really seen him have that kind of expression ever again. He slept a lot when we got home but was back to his normal self pretty quickly.

I didn't notice any reaction at all to the second shot at 6mos (I think he was extra fussy the next day or maybe a little sick or something but I only vaguely remember)...

What do you think, am I over-reacting or did he have some kind of weird brief reaction to the first shot?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Ack. It could have been nothing, but I would definitely be concerned and suspect reaction.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM

Remember, some of the ingredients process through the brain. This is my #1 reason of concern when it comes to vaccinating a healthy child.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, if we do any further vaccinations it would only be a select few.

I guess I just want to figure out if he had a reaction for my own sake (plus I'm wondering if it could help us get a medical exemption for the rest of the dtap series)... not to mention I want to avoid any more serious reactions!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Dtap has a good deal of aluminum
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Yes, if we do any further vaccinations it would only be a select few.

I guess I just want to figure out if he had a reaction for my own sake (plus I'm wondering if it could help us get a medical exemption for the rest of the dtap series)... not to mention I want to avoid any more serious reactions!
Well...how are the exemption laws in your state? You may not need a medical exemption if you live a state with flexible exemption options.

My state, for example (Texas,) allows parents to pick and choose which vaccines to give and which ones not to give, without any explanation of why.

Of course, the exemptions, medical or not, are only needed for daycare or schools. Otherwise you can feel free to "exempt" your child without any reason or documentation.

As far as figuring out for yourself whether or not it was a reaction, you'll probably never be able to know for sure. It sounds like it could have been, but then again, it could have been a reaction to the needle stick and pain (slight shock.) You'll never, I repeat, NEVER, get a doctor to say that your son zoned out due to a vaccine reaction and that he should discontinue the DTaP because of it. If you did I would eat my hat (and I don't even own a hat, I'd have to buy one.)

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 AM

Sure sounds like a reaction to me and I would have been scared to death to take him in for more shots. It certainly did something to his brain.

Why not go with your gut instinct and avoid all other vaccines? It is the easiest and certainly the safest thing to do.

Good luck with your decision whatever it may be. Ultimately we each have to decide for ourselves what's be for our child.

User Tag List