When was mandatory vaccination introduced to US schools? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering... I am talking about laws that a child needs to have a list of vaccines to attend public school or daycare. And did some states always have exemptions or are those newer additions?
And do you know who lobbied for those laws? I really would like to find out!
I now live in the US, but I'm from Germany and there are no laws for vaccines in school. I never even had a school physical, school and medical history are completely unrelated. So I find those laws here totally weird and oppressing (cause in East Germany we sure had those mandatory vaccination laws... So I find it quite dictatorial!).
#2 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

this might help

Mandatory Vaccines
pages 2 & 3 talk about state laws.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 PM

I think that universal vaccination started around 1962, but that probably isn't the same as the laws pertaining to school.

A bit of history:
Quote:
State mandatory vaccination laws have their roots in the 1905 U.S. Supreme Court decision, Jacobsen v Massachusetts. A Swedish Lutheran pastor, Reverend Henning Jacobsen and his son objected to a law requiring revaccination with smallpox vaccine because they had suffered severe reactions to the first vaccination. The nine Supreme Court justices at the turn of the century denied Jacobsen and his lawyers the right to present scientific evidence for harm caused by the smallpox vaccine, preferring to believe the lawyers representing public health officials who convinced them that doctors could predict ahead of time who would be injured by vaccination.
100wds.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
I'm just wondering... I am talking about laws that a child needs to have a list of vaccines to attend public school or daycare. And did some states always have exemptions or are those newer additions?
And do you know who lobbied for those laws? I really would like to find out!
I now live in the US, but I'm from Germany and there are no laws for vaccines in school. I never even had a school physical, school and medical history are completely unrelated. So I find those laws here totally weird and oppressing (cause in East Germany we sure had those mandatory vaccination laws... So I find it quite dictatorial!).
You are right about this being oppressing!

My kids graduated around 1990 and we were never asked about vaccines during their school years. Never!

When they went to college I guess some vaccines were suggested but they didn't have to have them.

So this forceful push for vaccines is fairly new.
#5 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
No, in some states it goes back a lot further. I was living in NJ in 1957 or 58 and we couldn't attend school because none of us were vaccinated. My father was working in Patterson, but we ended up living in NY because the law was less stringent. I guess NY has gotten a lot worse in the last few years.

I remember having to do a form for my daughter in California in the 1970s.
#6 of 6 Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 AM

It was a movement after WWII in the late 1940's by the public health departments to wipe out all childhood diseases in one generation through vaccination and quarantine that drove all jurisdictions to require proof of vaccination at the time of school enrollment.

Please keep in mind that the Jacobson decision has been used through eugenetics to enforce the sterilzation of children with low Intelligence Quotients in decisions since. Buck versus Bell decision of 1928 by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes relied heavily on the Jacobson decision. There are cases similar to this that reach into the early 1960s.

Marcella Gruelle supposedly received a smallpox vaccination at school without her parents' consent in 1915 and died from the side effects.

http://ftp.fas.org/sgp/crs/RS21414.pdf

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page