Final DTap shot - reaction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am reading a lot that a final shot of DTaP is when kids have a reaction... if they have it at all to DTaP. Why last dose? Do they put something different in it, or is it exact same ingredients as in first and second shots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The ingredients are the same. The chance of a reaction can happen with any dose. I'm not sure if anyone knows why or if it is more likely to happen. Overload on the body? Too much aluminum? There's not exactly a lot of scientific studies into why vaccine reactions occur.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 PM

All doses are the exact same ingredients, in the exact same amount and potentcy... the dose for a 10 lb. 2-month-old is the same as for a 50 lb. 5-year-old.

It is most common for children to react to the fourth and fifth doses because the vaccine is a toxoid vaccine. If children (or anyone, for that matter) have developed enough immunity to the tetanus toxoid, the body's immune system will react to the toxoid in the vaccine. A "common" reaction is having the entire arm or leg where the vaccine was given swell up. This is why adults are not supposed to receive doses of tetanus vaccine too close together -- the immunity they already have to tetanus will react.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimtiger View Post
All doses are the exact same ingredients, in the exact same amount and potentcy... the dose for a 10 lb. 2-month-old is the same as for a 50 lb. 5-year-old.

It is most common for children to react to the fourth and fifth doses because the vaccine is a toxoid vaccine. If children (or anyone, for that matter) have developed enough immunity to the tetanus toxoid, the body's immune system will react to the toxoid in the vaccine. A "common" reaction is having the entire arm or leg where the vaccine was given swell up. This is why adults are not supposed to receive doses of tetanus vaccine too close together -- the immunity they already have to tetanus will react.
So it's like your body is saying - "I didn't need this dose, I am immune"?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy4 View Post
So it's like your body is saying - "I didn't need this dose, I am immune"?
I don't think so.

Allergies develop after exposure; it may just have taken multiple exposures before a discernible or significant reaction occurs. Posters that report a significant 4th dose reaction, often look back and see other signs that they or their doctor's dismissed as "normal."

Also, individuals process things at different rates; perhaps some have a "build-up" that finally results in a significant reaction.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

User Tag List