Lump on leg after 1st DTaP vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week my 3 month old got his first DTaP vaccine. It is the only vaccine he has had (completely regretting my decision now)! I got talked into it because of the rising number of Pertussis cases in central Va, where we live. I discovered a small lump at the injection site yesterday. Of coarse the Pedi's office has been closed for New Years, so I haven't been able to speak with a nurse. I'm trying not to freak out. Does anyone have any experience with this happening or know what it could possibly be. I'm sure it's nothing to be too worried about, but so scary to find a lump on your 3 month old's leg!!!!! Thanks!

New stay at home mama to a beautiful baby boy,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Usually they are reactions from the aluminum in the vaccine. It can go away quickly or stay a month.

The peds off will tell you its NORMAL. If its painful try warm compresses. The DTaP is a very reactive vaccine.

Im in Maryland ( not to far from you) and have not heard of any pertussis cases this year in our area. My brother and sister are both ER nurses and they have not had any come through their ER's. Jack ( ds4) is very delayed on his vaccine schedule we have done 1 vax so far and he is 14 months old we will be doing the DTaP vaccine at some point but not till he his 2yrs old.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 PM

It can happen with many different vaccines, actually. DS got one from the 3rd polio vax. It took a little while to go away, but didn't seem particularly painful or irritating. DS has gotten other vaccines since and it hasn't happened again, but that was his last polio one and he had no reaction to the first 2 polio. I wouldn't worry about it right now, it doesn't signal an increasing reaction to the vax he's already had IME.

Just decide if you think it's specific to that vaccine and weigh it into your decision about future doses. The ped will probably tell you it's normal, maybe that its from tensed muscles during the shot, and it can take a while to go away.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 PM

that was my daughters last shot (around 15 months)... The lump stayed for nearly a month....

we discontiued her shots and had used a liver detox to get the metals/poisons from her system. Shortly after that her behavior changed to that of a normal 15 month old child....

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
#5 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreesea View Post
Last week my 3 month old got his first DTaP vaccine. It is the only vaccine he has had (completely regretting my decision now)! I got talked into it because of the rising number of Pertussis cases in central Va, where we live. I discovered a small lump at the injection site yesterday. Of coarse the Pedi's office has been closed for New Years, so I haven't been able to speak with a nurse. I'm trying not to freak out. Does anyone have any experience with this happening or know what it could possibly be. I'm sure it's nothing to be too worried about, but so scary to find a lump on your 3 month old's leg!!!!! Thanks!
Do you have any sources as to the numbers of pertussis cases in central VA? I haven't heard anything. I just checked the Virginia Department of Health website and found nothing recent. I'm in Culpeper county, BTW.
#6 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 PM

the DTaP is highly reactive... and now that you have seen a reaction in your child, I would highly recommend never getting another DTaP again... there are studies showing that a second or third dose after an initial reaction = worse reaction. My nephew nearly died after the DTaP- he stopped breathing and seized repeatedly.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#7 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

I did find this collection of reported cases in 2000 in Va. My Ped ( in Richmond) said that she recently, this fall, had to hospitalize a 5 month old for Pertussis. It just hit so close to home, that I let myself get scared into it. Plus I'm a first time mama and trying to figure it all out

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/Epidemiol...Menipert00.pdf

#8 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 PM

I had a large, painful lump on my arm after my last tetanus shot, lasted for several months. My niece also had a similar reaction, a lump on her leg after DTaP, not sure how long the reaction lasted though. I hope the reaction isn't too painful for him and that it subsides soon.

blogging.jpg

#9 of 12 Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Do some research on pertussis in infants. It is harder to be scared if you know more and have a clearer idea of what you would be facing if your baby did get this illness. You may decide to continue with the vaccine series or not continue, but at least you'll be making the decision on the basis of knowledge.

When my granddaughter was an infant the ped tried to persuade my daughter to get the DTap: "There is an epidemic of pertussis in this state!"

Daughter: "How many cases?"

Doctor: "Thirty"

Daughter: "How many are infants?"

Doctor: "Well, actually it is all teens right now, but babies could catch it you know."

My granddaughter never got the vaccine and so far she apparently hasn't had pertussis. Although about 10% who get pertussis seem to go through it with no symptoms. No one in my family has ever had this that I know of and I'm beginning to wonder if we get through it without symptoms? I worked in a school where there were a few cases but didn't come down with it.
#10 of 12 Old 01-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreesea View Post
I did find this collection of reported cases in 2000 in Va. My Ped ( in Richmond) said that she recently, this fall, had to hospitalize a 5 month old for Pertussis. It just hit so close to home, that I let myself get scared into it. Plus I'm a first time mama and trying to figure it all out

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/Epidemiol...Menipert00.pdf
I completely understand. I got scared into vaxing my eldest also, although in my gut it just didn't seem right (and I do think that vaccination contributed to his allergies). After much research my Dh and I decided to stop vaxxing altogether and are very comfortable with that decision.

Also, I wouldn't be worrying about pertussis cases from 10 years ago! To me, those aren't relevant at all as pertussis outbreaks seem to come in waves every 4 years or so (from what I have read here on MDC).
#11 of 12 Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to you all for your valuable imput. I think this is the last shot I'll let him get for a while...hating that I let him get it in the first place. Next time I'll stand my ground!

#12 of 12 Old 01-03-2010, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Scarlet -

Can you tell me more about the liver detox that you used? How old your child was when you did it? Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page