Are you scared of Measles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I was just wondering how many of you would be scared if your child contracted measles? Or how many of you would not be scared and a little bit glad when it was over that the child now had immunity? My son is 8 and has not had any shots since he was 4 months and sometimes I have wondered if the mmr would be safer now that he is older? Sometimes I think measles isn't that scary and then sometimes I worry about the remote possibility of having the complications I am always hearing doctors talk about? But, I know there can be complications to the vaccine and it seems that alot of kids vaccinated for this still get it anyway?? I would love yalls thoughts on this. Thanks!

Stacey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM

for MY child yes. My child could very well die from measles, or even chicken pox. For her its not "a simple childhood illness" the risks of the vaccine far outweighed the risks of the desease itself. Rotavirus, a VPD thats "not that serious" nearly killed her so I hate to think what those could do.

Kimberly : momma to Karrigan Kayla : and wife of Kevin
#3 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am immune to measles, so the chances of me bringing it home from work is slim. I don't know DH's status.

But, no, I'm not really afraid of measles. At least no more than I am any other thing. I take care of it early and watch for worsening symptoms. We are generally healthy, EBF and I am aware of the symptoms of measles and when to call the Dr.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#4 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
No, not really. My children are in reasonably well health and we have access to clean water and good food.
#5 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

My generation is immune to measles. All my friends and class mates had measles and we all came back to school healthy and fit. My parents and grandparents all had measles. They obviously survived. They were never afraid of measles. Neither am I. My generation considered measles something every child should get.

I am hoping that my grandchildren get infected with measles somewhere along the way. It is supposed to strengthen the immune system so that there is little chance of cancer or other autoimmune diseases later on in life.

Here are someMeasle Facts.

And this is a link to Inside Vaccines' MMR Info.
#6 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Heavens no! I had them as a child as did my brother, cousins and just about every kid I know. I can't say it was particularly pleasant, but it certainly wasn't horrible. I know of no person who had the measles as a child that suffered severely from them or had any of the complications. Measles was just a normal part of childhood. I would not be in the least bit concerned for the well bing of my children if they came down with them. Of course I don't wish measles on them and I wouldn't go out of my way to "infect" them. BTW, all my children are older than your ds two are completely vax-free and one had one dose of MMR and is now an adult, none of them have caught measles.

Measles in perspective with thanks to the Brady Bunch!

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#7 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM

Not at all...had them as a kid (also had the vaccine - lot of good that did)

Just a dark room and vit A. Plus I got a week off of school!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#8 of 26 Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 PM

NO, I am not afraid of measles.
#9 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 AM

If/when the kids get it, I'll be working hard to support them nutritionally through it. Having a plan, and having resources for more ideas if they're needed, has been really helpful to me. Nutritional support (food and supps) has gotten us through a lot of illnesses so far.
#10 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
DD got the measles when she was just under 2 y/o. She did fine. She has an awesome immune system and acted like her normal self except she was spotty. The worst thing about it was staying home.
#11 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 AM

Nope, I had measles when I was 10 and was excited to catch it, as were all of my friends, cousins and siblings, because we got days off of school and were pampered during the course of our illness.

Chicken pox was very exciting for us, too!

I can understand that it would not be the same for families with immuno-compromised members, though.
#12 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 AM

Both mine have already had it - it was no big deal for us. Oddly enough, they caught it from the doctor's office! My oldest had an icky habit of licking chairs and such when she was younger *blech*
#13 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Ive been thinking about revisiting all of the vaxes recently. Just got another copy of The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. We haven't vaxed our DS at all yet and he's 3. We are considering the MMR though only because I don't want him infecting a pregnant woman or someone else who is immune deficient. Still have to read about it again though.

Greta
#14 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 AM

No I am not scared of measles. I had it as a child. I am confident that I will be able to support my DC and know to recognise when a serious complication is presenting so as to be in touch with a doctor. Otherwise, I see it as an illness to manage at home with good nutritious food, rest, and a dark room.

If I ever did consider the vax, I would check titres first for each component of the vaccine.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#15 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Nope, not scared of the measles. I would be happy if dd caught them, just like I would be any other childhood disease (rubella, CP, mumps). I don't spend my life worrying about the worst case scenario for anything, and illnesses are no different. If I did, I would spent more time worrying about getting into an accident every time I drove to the grocery store than the odds of life-threatening complications arising from the measles. I just make healthy choices for myself and my family and carry on with life as normal.
#16 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM

No, Not scared

I wouldn't go out of my way to have DS get them, but if he gets them, than we have access to an experienced ND and I have also familiarized myself with the symptoms and treatments. and then he would be immune.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#17 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

In a phone conversation with my pro-vax Dad (but one of those people who are all "well, I didn't ride in a carseat and I survived!" etc etc) told me he had measles as a kid and it was no big deal. I just laughed and told him since he survived then my kids should survive without getting the MMR.
I had no idea he had measles, I should have guessed since he was in that generation but why would they push the MMR on something that was mild for them? It's like our generation pushing the chicken pox vax to our children, it's just weird to me.
So no, I'm not scared of the measles for my kids (although, I won't seek them out either).
Like someone else said, I worry much more about the crazy self-entitled drivers out there texting/on phone while honking at me for stopping at a stop sign!
#18 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM

No way. DP sailed through it with no complications and he was "high risk" (three years old, has PKU, born with a heart defect, had two major surgeries, probably a bit malnourished). My parents also had it no problem, as did all of my aunts and uncles.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#19 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiolus View Post
In a phone conversation with my pro-vax Dad (but one of those people who are all "well, I didn't ride in a carseat and I survived!" etc etc) told me he had measles as a kid and it was no big deal. I just laughed and told him since he survived then my kids should survive without getting the MMR.
I had a similar conversation with my mom, though I was sure she had the TCDs since she was grown and married before universal childhood vaccines. After that conversation she hasn't brought up vaccination again.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#20 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM

I would be very concerned if my child got measles. I had it, it was unpleasant to say the least and I had it mildly.
#21 of 26 Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Looks like the Brady Bunch were not afraid of MEASLES
#22 of 26 Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
I had the measles. It was unpleasant. I survived.

I wouldn't mind if my grandchildren got them. Although I'd be concerned about my daughter and son-in-law who haven't had them. The worse danger now is for adults who didn't get measles as children because they aren't necessarily immune.
#23 of 26 Old 01-06-2010, 06:15 PM

Yes, I'm actually scared of the measles. DS isn't vaccinated but this is one disease I worry about. Not so much the death statistics, but just that he may get it bad enough to end up brain dead and paralyzed. No idea if I will do the MMR or not (wanted to do a dose of attenuvax but Merck stopped making it, and not sure i want to do 'all, or nothing'). But yeah.

PS. yes, I make sure he eats things that are high in vitamin A.
#24 of 26 Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM

yep. measles is one that scares me moderately. it's one of the few i will be getting my kids vaxed for it.

the one that really scares me is diphtheria. did anyone ever read Mrs. Mike? it's this awesome book about this woman that moves to the canadian wilderness in the early part of the 1900's and marries a mounty. both her kids die from diphtheria and it's really stuck with me. i read it in high school and i still tear up thinking about trying her trying to keep her sick babies alive without any medical treatment.

eh. who needs a signature?
#25 of 26 Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Nope not scared at all. What little fear I did have evaporated upon the rare discovery of a set of medical books published in 1919. Things like Scarlett Fever and Smallpox were huge concerns (remember, no antibiotics at that time) but Measles (and chickenpox) barely registered an entry. The one big thing that stuck with me was they were pretty insistant that for the first few days the patient needs to be kept quiet, and if that is done there should be no complications. In our go-go-go society I have to wonder if some of the children who do have a terrible time with it were allowed to do that. (I realize as well that unless really sick, many parents don't have a choice but to take thier kids to outside care, and that also, we as a society no longer see Measles much, and it's likely that initial symptoms can be mistaken for an everyday illness.) But no, there are FAR worse conditions out there to keep me up at night or shuddering with the memory of (rotovirus for example! That was AWFUL!).
#26 of 26 Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 PM

I came down with measles at a year old, and I did just fine, according to my mother. That I had no serious complications is impressive because I was a very sickly little kid. Other kids got a headache, I got encephalitis. Other kids got a stomach bug and recovered fine. I would get one and puke until I was dehydrated and needed IV fluids. So for my mom to say that measles was no big deal for me is huge.

Our DD (age 3) is vaccinated, but we're giving serious consideration to stopping vaccines for her and not vaccinating DS (2 months old). Based on my experience, I'm not overly paranoid about them getting measles.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page