January swine flu (2009 H1N1) thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 AM
 
Jenelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
So tomorrow my son's elementary is giving this vax during the last hour of school.
Really?

http://www.google.org/flutrends/us/#US

No... REALLY?

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekly...0/WhoLab03.htm
Jenelle is offline  
#122 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 AM
 
newmum35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved this & just had to share, courtesy of http://www.ageofautism.com/

Quote:
Olmsted on Autism: Thailand Teaches U.S. a Flu-Shot Lesson

In their latest e-mail, our friends at The One Click Group in England carry a story about how H1N1 vaccinations for pregnant women have been suspended in Thailand after one woman suffered a miscarriage a day after getting the shot.

Yes, that's right. ONE WOMAN suffered a miscarriage ONE DAY after getting a shot.
Read the rest at http://www.ageofautism.com/

You have to scroll down past the first few stories to find it. Very interesting.

I also LOVE Poland. Poland is the ONLY country who did not buy into the swine flu hysteria. The health minister smartly refused to buy into the hysteria. We can all learn a lot from Poland as well

Do read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/health/02flu.html


Quote:
The great exception is Poland, the only Western country known to have rejected swine flu vaccine and to have spent nothing to stop the pandemic, according to The Associated Press. Poland had fewer than 150 confirmed deaths, and the government’s decision proved very popular, The A.P. said.
Here's an old bookmark I saved from a while back (and posted on one of the earlier discussions, probably from November) - watch the video on Polish Health Minister below

http://gaia-health.com/videos/V00004...-Vaccine.shtml

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
newmum35 is offline  
#123 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes, really. I wish I were joking!!!! The school sent home a permission slip, and I called them to verify.

And my dd's junior high will be giving them out NEXT MONTH.

But they're giving these shots for free. So what I don't get is, why are they doing it? They're obviously not re-couping any costs this way, or are they? Would the school district possibly be paying for it? Or is it a way for the federal gov't to pass on the costs to the local health department?

Do they actually think they're helping any one? Or is it a more sinister plot than I could even imagine? Help me figure this out!

I obviously didn't return the permission slip, and I wrote my son a note saying I FORBID them from giving him the shot. Is that enough? Or should I check him out early? (I know they're doing it at 1:00.) My dh thinks I'm a little paranoid for wanting to check him out early. And ds likes school so he might be bummed to have to leave early. And he's a pretty vocal kid and he knows he's not supposed to get a shot today, so I think he'd stick up for himself. (He's in 2nd grade.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is online now  
#124 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Do they actually think they're helping any one? Or is it a more sinister plot than I could even imagine? Help me figure this out!
This same feeling keeps going through my head. Like "wha? why would that be *helpful*, could it really be about helping people?" It's a very unsettling feeling, to me.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#125 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned
 
jeanine123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The land of never ending chatter
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
I obviously didn't return the permission slip, and I wrote my son a note saying I FORBID them from giving him the shot. Is that enough? Or should I check him out early? (I know they're doing it at 1:00.) My dh thinks I'm a little paranoid for wanting to check him out early. And ds likes school so he might be bummed to have to leave early. And he's a pretty vocal kid and he knows he's not supposed to get a shot today, so I think he'd stick up for himself. (He's in 2nd grade.)
It's likely too late but if it were me I'd check him out early. I wouldn't want him to be placed in a situation where he would have to stick up for himself to adults who hold some sort of authority over him, at least not at this age.
jeanine123 is offline  
#126 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 08:08 PM
 
newmum35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

But they're giving these shots for free. So what I don't get is, why are they doing it? They're obviously not re-couping any costs this way, or are they? Would the school district possibly be paying for it? Or is it a way for the federal gov't to pass on the costs to the local health department?
Nothing is free. The vaccine manufacturers got paid for those shots and they already made millions. If its given away for free my guess is our tax dollars paid for it. They probably get paid for each vaccine given (reimbursed by the federal government) and the fed. government uses our tax dollars to pay for it, of course. I'm no expert but that's my guess.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
newmum35 is offline  
#127 of 132 Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
mamakay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in la la land, or so they say...
Posts: 8,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Yes, really. I wish I were joking!!!! The school sent home a permission slip, and I called them to verify.

And my dd's junior high will be giving them out NEXT MONTH.

But they're giving these shots for free. So what I don't get is, why are they doing it? They're obviously not re-couping any costs this way, or are they? Would the school district possibly be paying for it? Or is it a way for the federal gov't to pass on the costs to the local health department?

Do they actually think they're helping any one? Or is it a more sinister plot than I could even imagine? Help me figure this out!

I wouldn't call it probable, but it's technically possible we could have a third wave, that could, in theory, be more deadly than the first two.
I think public health planners tend to gravitate towards preparing for doomsday scenarios. Which makes sense in a way, from their POV, I guess. It just looks very different from our POV.
mamakay is online now  
#128 of 132 Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 AM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
I wouldn't call it probable, but it's technically possible we could have a third wave, that could, in theory, be more deadly than the first two.
I think public health planners tend to gravitate towards preparing for doomsday scenarios. Which makes sense in a way, from their POV, I guess. It just looks very different from our POV.
That's a good point.

Well, I left him in school and it was fine. Only one kid in his class had the permission slip signed, so just that kid left to get the shot and the rest of the class carried on as usual.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is online now  
#129 of 132 Old 02-05-2010, 06:45 PM
 
Pandme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35259765...h-cold_and_flu

Wow, and we all survived!

I am SO glad we didn't get this shot even through the hysteria in October (and I gave birth in October).
Pandme is offline  
#130 of 132 Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM
 
Juvysen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandme View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35259765...h-cold_and_flu

Wow, and we all survived!

I am SO glad we didn't get this shot even through the hysteria in October (and I gave birth in October).
wonder if that'll stop anyone from getting the vax at these clinics they're still having.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

 

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Juvysen is offline  
#131 of 132 Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 AM
 
thenaturefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well it happened to us now too. My 3 year old's preschool (at a public elementary) is doing the H1N1 vax. It worries me that they send forms to give permission but say nothing about opting out. My daughter cannot communicate very clearly, so there is no way she could stick up for herself if they "accidentally" gave her the shot.

Would I be a crazy mom if I just didn't send her to school on the two days they are vaxing?

Has anyone had a kid who has been vaccinated despite the lack of permission?

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
thenaturefreak is offline  
#132 of 132 Old 02-06-2010, 01:18 PM
 
amnesiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: at the end of the longest line
Posts: 4,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
January's discussion is now closed. Please feel free to join the new February thread.
amnesiac is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off