January swine flu (2009 H1N1) thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Post here. This is the official MDC 2009 H1N1 thread.
#2 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait a second... Something doesn't look right here...

Oh, that's right! It's 2010!

Thanks for starting a new thread.

Here's the latest from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekly...0/WhoLab51.htm

And Google flu trends:

http://www.google.org/flutrends/us/
#3 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's 2010, but "the flu" is still "2009 H1N1". Lol.

What's interesting is that fluview reports that only 3.9% of the "influenza like illness" samples are testing positive for any flu
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/
(down from 50% at the height of the season), but look at this chart:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weekly...10/bigpi51.htm

What is causing all those deaths now?
#4 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
What is causing all those deaths now?
Well, the chart is for pneumonia and influenza. They always lump these together -- so you've got people dying of pneumonia who never had the flu. That is part of why people don't trust the "36,000 per year" flu number. Because they lump pneumonia in there also.

Edited to say: Ah, also -- that chart is from week ending 12/12 when the rest of the info is week ending 12/26. That two week difference may have something to do with it also.
#5 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM

Geez what a slacker I am this month - thanks for getting the new discussion started!

Please remember that this thread is for vaccine issues. Disease specific discussion such as treatment, spread or prevention other than vaccines should be placed in our Health & Healing forum.

Please also remember that any news/current event discussions must remain focused on the general vaccine related issue in this forum & should not focus on any specific individual.

As Georgia explained in our forum announcement:
Quote:
Due to the volume of H1N1/Swine flu threads, we ask that you please read and post to the existing threads and not start a new thread at this time. Please post to the existing threads so that we can help everyone access the information in a limited number of threads for organization's sake. It is becoming increasingly difficult for members and moderators to keep track due to volume when a new thread on the same topic is started each day. If you have searched through the existing threads and not found the answer to your specific question/information, please note this in your post to an existing thread so that participants know that you have searched and are still coming up short. From the Vaccination forum stickied thread:

Quote:
New members are advised to research the topic of their question first by perusing the archives and doing specific searches. Your questions are welcome and we certainly know a busy parent has little time for focused research and that the archives and search results can be overwhelming to sift through. But sometimes the info you seek is already posted and just what you're looking for. If you have searched the forum and did not find an answer, please say that in your post so that the members appreciate that you have already done so.
Mothering Magazine information can be accessed here:

Barbara Loe Fisher on the Swine Flu Vaccine

and Coming to a School Near You

Existing MDC threads can be found:
Monthly H1N1/Swine Flu
H1N1 trials/testing news and info
Pregnancy
Military

Thank you so much for your cooperation with helping keep the volume contained and the forum organized! New threads started will be closed at the moderators' discretion or merged with an existing thread. We understand the importance of this topic and want everyone to have an opportunity to find the information they need. Please PM a moderator with any further questions.
#6 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Edited to say: Ah, also -- that chart is from week ending 12/12 when the rest of the info is week ending 12/26. That two week difference may have something to do with it also.
Could that be a typo? It reports through week 50, which should have ended 12/19?
#7 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM

I just stumbled upon this article and thought it was interesting. Seems like alot of people in alot of places didn't buy into the fear mongering. There is quite the vaccine surplus out there.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...ource=r_health
#8 of 132 Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Here is an evaluation of the H1N1 child mortality in the U.S. just posted on insidevaccines.

Quote:
Live births in 2007: 4,317,000, minus 29,000 infant deaths, gives us a starting number of 4,288,000. The number of births has been going up every year for the last few years, so if we assume the same number in 2008 we are erring on the side of caution. We’ve got a total of roughly 8,576,000 children in the U.S. under the age of two. Forty-two of those children died this year as a result of H1N1, according to the CDC. This means that one child out of every 204,190 died from 2009 H1N1 according to the reported number of cases.
I wonder how much time, effort and money was spent on vaccinating children under the age of two with this vaccine. And they aren't done--it is still being pushed. Where I live, most of the children had already had the influenza, of whatever variety, before they held the vaccine clinics.
#9 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#10 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 AM

If anyone was made to have the h1n1 shot and they didn't want to . Would it be better to detox before and afterwards ?

If someone wanted to detox before and after a h1n1 shot what would they need to do ?

Would baking soda detox remove the before toxins and be able to remove the after ?

Since my cousin is in airforce so I'm questioning that for him .
#11 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 02:19 AM

I have a question about the site someone posted in Dec

http://www.whyshouldi.ca/

I entered 0 people in the morning at my house, 0 people on my commute and 0 people at school because I attend college at home. However, I do see 2 people in the evening. How did it come up with 215 potential contacts in 24 hours?

Anyone know the algorithm they use?
#12 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Here is an evaluation of the H1N1 child mortality in the U.S. just posted on insidevaccines.

I wonder how much time, effort and money was spent on vaccinating children under the age of two with this vaccine. And they aren't done--it is still being pushed. Where I live, most of the children had already had the influenza, of whatever variety, before they held the vaccine clinics.
I haven't looked at this more closely yet, but in the statistics for children who died from the flu, do they mention whether the child had been vaccinated?

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#13 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
I haven't looked at this more closely yet, but in the statistics for children who died from the flu, do they mention whether the child had been vaccinated?
No. There's no data out anywhere yet indicating whether or not the vaccine's effective or to what extent. And usually, there is by this time in the flu season.
#14 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMama View Post
I have a question about the site someone posted in Dec

http://www.whyshouldi.ca/

I entered 0 people in the morning at my house, 0 people on my commute and 0 people at school because I attend college at home. However, I do see 2 people in the evening. How did it come up with 215 potential contacts in 24 hours?

Anyone know the algorithm they use?
A more interesting question is, does the scientific evidence indicate that flu vaccines prevent flu transmission?
#15 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
I just stumbled upon this article and thought it was interesting. Seems like alot of people in alot of places didn't buy into the fear mongering. There is quite the vaccine surplus out there.

from your link:
Quote:
The World Health Organization said at least 12,220 people worldwide have been killed by swine flu, with the biggest share of victims in the United States and Canada, though it is now declining in North America.
Umm... the CDC is claiming 10,000... so does that mean there's only been 2,200 in the rest of the world? And if so... how is this not screaming to the CDC (uh, or the general population) that the US is handling the situation VERY wrong?

I mean, from that link, CHINA (with it's some, 2 BILLION citizens?) claims only 659 swine flu deaths in 2009... maybe something's not adding up here...

So, is it the CDC's fuzzy numbers or is it that Americans are in such poor health or, or, or...

And why is this not SHOCKING to the rest of the population?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#16 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post

With all the hype and the push for everyone to get vaccinated I was surprised to discover how low the numbers of vaccinated were. Canada is one of the highest with 32% of the population vaccinated. No wonder there is a huge surplus.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...231?hub=Health

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#17 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
No. There's no data out anywhere yet indicating whether or not the vaccine's effective or to what extent. And usually, there is by this time in the flu season.
With blood tests, can they tell the difference between a vaccinated person and a person who got the flu? And a person who is in both categories?

And do you know how they usually decide whether someone has had the flu? Is it just symptoms, or is it a blood test (or something else)? It does seem like a lot of flu this year was mild, wouldn't that make it difficult to get accurate information just based on patient recall?
#18 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
With blood tests, can they tell the difference between a vaccinated person and a person who got the flu? And a person who is in both categories?

And do you know how they usually decide whether someone has had the flu? Is it just symptoms, or is it a blood test (or something else)? It does seem like a lot of flu this year was mild, wouldn't that make it difficult to get accurate information just based on patient recall?
They have a nasal swab test they can do to confirm the flu. If there's a blood test, it's not commonly used.
#19 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
They have a nasal swab test they can do to confirm the flu. If there's a blood test, it's not commonly used.
When you're sick? I was thinking about how they figuring out statistics at the end of the season, essentially to tally the score, how did the vaccine do, how many people _really_ got the new flu this year, like that.
#20 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
When you're sick? I was thinking about how they figuring out statistics at the end of the season, essentially to tally the score, how did the vaccine do, how many people _really_ got the new flu this year, like that.
For vaccine effectiveness, stuff like this:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5844a5.htm

(they had a similar report out by early summer...this was just a double check)

For "how many people REALLY caught the flu?", all we have are weak methods of estimation for the most part. Really weak. Weak enough to where it's not a lot better than a wild guess.
The most solid data would be a study looking at a rise in antibodies to flu among unvaccinated people between mid summer and the end of the season. That could be extrapolated to our 300 million population for an approximate case count.
#21 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The most solid data would be a study looking at a rise in antibodies to flu among unvaccinated people between mid summer and the end of the season. That could be extrapolated to our 300 million population for an approximate case count.
Will they do this?

The problem they might have if they did...one result would be an estimate of the number of unvaccinated people who had the flu and survived in good order. Obviously, they wouldn't be able to do antibody tests on anyone who died for any reason.
#22 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

ANyone have a link or info on still births and the vax. I think I have seen two myself last month within a week or so of each other. Would love more solid links on it please.

oh and info on detox, dh is being forced to get it next week , what can he do.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#23 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 PM

French move fuels fears for flu vaccine sales

Quote:
Sales of H1N1 vaccines have been a windfall for drugmakers since mid-2009 as governments have built up stockpiles, with Glaxo expected to be the single biggest beneficiary with anticipated sales of some $3.5 billion by the end of the first quarter of 2010, according to industry analysts.

Sanofi and Novartis have been forecast to book around $1 billion and $600 million apiece.

The latest cancellations in Europe could trim those numbers, although there is still outstanding demand from other parts of the world.
I'm just grateful this appears to have fizzled out and maybe there aren't quite as many brainwashed people out there as I previously thought. I just can't get over those numbers though. That's quite a profit.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#24 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
ANyone have a link or info on still births and the vax.
There isn't any evidence of an increase, but there's not much evidence, period.

Here's a study that goes over what evidence exists :
http://www.i-lumens.com/DOCUMENTS/VA...CET%202008.pdf

(this is the study the CDC cites to say "there is no evidence vaxing pregnant women is associated with anything bad")

Quote:
No serious adverse eff ects of infl uenza immunisation
in pregnancy have been reported in the few published
studies on vaccine safety. There are, however, limited
data on safety in the fi rst trimester.

Quote:
Consideration should be given to developing
mechanisms for following up pregnancy outcomes after
maternal immunisation to augment passive surveillance,
particularly if national recommendations are broadened
for this group

Ok...so let's hop over to the new analysis of the safety of the pandemic vax:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5848a4.htm

So, they're analysing info from VAERS and the VSD.

From VAERS:

Quote:
The remaining 173 nonfatal serious adverse events after vaccination with H1N1 vaccines are under chart review. These reports fall into the following diagnostic categories: neurologic or muscular condition other than Guillain-Barré syndrome (49 [28%]); pneumonia or influenza-like illness (27 [16%]); other noninfectious conditions, including multiple medical symptoms (19 [11%]); respiratory or ear, nose, and throat condition (17 [10%]); allergic conditions other than anaphylaxis (16 [9%]); pregnancy complications** (15 [9%]); other infectious symptoms (10 [6%]); gastrointestinal (eight [5%]); cardiovascular (six [3%]); and psychiatric (six [3%]). Each category includes a variety of diagnoses; no patterns were identified.
They clarify "pregnancy complications" as:

Quote:
** Stillbirth, spontaneous abortion, or preterm delivery.
So what do they say the VSD says about "pregnancy complications"?

Quote:
VSD is a collaboration between CDC and eight managed-care organizations with a total of 9.5 million members, which utilizes administrative data and electronic medical records to collect information on vaccinations and health-care encounters to monitor vaccine safety. VSD is monitoring H1N1 vaccine safety using historical and other appropriate comparison groups, with weekly data analyses (4). As of November 21, 438,376 doses of H1N1 vaccines (323,345 MIV and 115,031 LAMV) had been administered to patients under VSD surveillance. During October 1--November 21, no cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome and one case of anaphylaxis were observed among vaccinated persons in VSD. In addition, VSD has detected no increase in rates for other monitored conditions: demyelinating disease, peripheral nervous system disease, seizure, encephalomyelitis, Bell's palsy, other cranial nerve disorders, ataxia, allergic reactions, and myocarditis. VSD will continue H1N1 vaccine safety monitoring throughout the vaccination campaign.
They're not monitoring pregnancy complications.

So...

Huh.
#25 of 132 Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 PM

It sounds to me as though they decided in advance that there weren't going to be any pregnancy complications.
#26 of 132 Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
It sounds to me as though they decided in advance that there weren't going to be any pregnancy complications.
#27 of 132 Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
from your link:

Umm... the CDC is claiming 10,000... so does that mean there's only been 2,200 in the rest of the world? And if so... how is this not screaming to the CDC (uh, or the general population) that the US is handling the situation VERY wrong?
Yeah - the WHO statistics compile individual countries and the WHO total shot way up the moment the CDC submitted their new, um, 'estimates'.

It would seem to me, that even if people thought the new overall estimate was possible - how could anyone buy that the CDC also estimated that there have been four times the number of pediatric deaths than have been reported? I mean, they are asking people to believe that 800 kids have unexpectedly and tragically died of swine flu and somehow, these deaths were not officially reported to the CDC. Because NO one notices when a child dies, the CDC has to really up those numbers to reflect reality...good grief!
#28 of 132 Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
And that pregnant women are mere pawns on which to be experimented...

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#29 of 132 Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Alright I need help from the gurus on vaccines. I've done a couple of quick google searches but nothing popped out.

On Dec. 15, DSS 9 came home for his weekly visit. DH and I noticed throughout the evening that he was making this wheeze/cough noise periodically. We occasionally asked him to stop making the noise and at one point, I asked him why he was making the noise. He said it helped him breathe better? We were decorating the christmas tree so DH and I thought maybe he was having a slight allergic reaction to the tree. DSS 9 left the next morning to go back to his mom's house and didn't come back to our house until Christmas Day.

Throughout Christmas weekend, it became very apparent that the noise that DSS 9 was making was a tic. It was also accompanied by a head roll. So we took him to the doctor the Monday following Christmas. His ped diagnosed him with asthma and was also concerned that it was the onset of PANDAS although a strep test came back negative. We spent the week getting his asthma under control and observing him to see if there were triggers for the tic. It became apparent that his tic would flare up/increase in frequency after a stressful interaction such as an argument with his sisters or talking on the phone with his mother.

He went back to his mom's house this past Monday afternoon and started a 2 week course of antibiotics. He came back home to our house on Tuesday evening. In the roughly 36 hours away from our house, he developed another tic which is a cross between a throat clearing and a grunt. I called his ped on Wednesday and told him that he had developed a new tic. His ped said that can happen with PANDAS once antibiotic treatment has started. He has a followup appt scheduled with his ped on Jan. 18.

Now to the H1N1 vaccine part. I had a thought in the back of my mind wondering if it could be vaccine related at all. I remembered that he had received the booster shot for the H1N1 vaccine some time before Christmas break at his elementary school. So I called the school nurse this morning to get the exact date. He received the booster shot on Dec. 11. Is it possible that the H1N1 vaccine booster shot has triggered these tics?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#30 of 132 Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM

He probably got the shot with thimerosal, i.e., mercury. I believe there was a study that children exposed to thimerosal were more likely to have tics. Anyone remember which study that was?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page