is there anything I can do to help my grandmother..she's getting sicker, and I suspect vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My grandmother believes that a doctors word is gospel. She will take any medication, vaccine, shot that the doctor suggests.

She was in the hospital for pnemonia a few months ago. While she had pnemonia, the nurse came in to give her a pnemonia vaccine, and a flu shot. I cried and begged my grandmother not to. I even played the "cultured on embryo card" and she still sided with the doctor.

She has NEVER EVER been sicker in her life. She is recooped FINALLY from the pnemonia, but has a list of new diagnoses. She can't walk without a cane, and looks so sickly. She is on oxygen now, and more meds.

New diagnoses after "recooping" are rhemetoid arthritis, elevated SED rate, fibromyalgia, COPD, and high potassium.
New meds as of last week are anti inflametory meds, oxygen, nebulizer, and I'm sure more to come!

She ONLY HAD PNEMONIA before these shots. How do I convince her to stop? How do I advocate for her, if she can't do it herself.. is that even legal? I want to make her doctor pay.. I"m angry because I think the shots made her sicker.

What would you do?

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#2 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. I will be praying for you and your grandmother.

joy.giflurk.gif

#3 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm sorry about your grandmother.

Just a thought but what meds is she now/was she on before? My mom has RA and a lot of her meds warn to not vaccinate while on them; some even say not to for 2 years after stopping. That's the only thing that stopped her from getting every shot they offered.
#4 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Maybe you can get the package inserts and review them with her.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Get her some immune booster foods or herbal meds -yogurts-vitamins,etc.
I see lots of elderly who do not do the vaccines and still get down after an illness like pneumonia .
Hoping for a quick recovery!

(at least the pneumonia vax is only given every 5 years !)

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
#6 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Make sure that all of her meds come through just one pharmacy. Ask her to give you written permission to check with the pharmacist for possiblly dangerous drug interactions.

At this point in her life it isn't likely she will give up her faith in medicine, even if it ends up doing her in. So love her, enjoy her company as much as you can, and face up to your inability to change her mind about some things.
#7 of 9 Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM

My FIL's Dad died in his sleep from meds. He went to a doctor for something minor got a med which made him sicker so they gave him more meds to counter the reactions and then more meds to counter the new reactions until he was taking handfuls of pills. He died in his sleep at just 50 years old. FIL refuses to take any meds or vaccines. I'm still working on making sceptics of my parents. I think it's important that they learn to question so they can live better longer lives.

I hope your grandma gets better soon.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM

pneumonia can do a huge number on older frail people. getting better takes a long time, but some times the pneumonia itself causes lasting side affects that just don't go away. Have you talked to the dr about why he thinks that these new illnesses presented now?

My children are both recovering from pneumonia. They are both on anti inflamatories, to reduce swelling in their airways, so they can get a breath in, and reduce the coughing, which in turn, reduces the swelling in their airways.

They are also both on inhalers, again, to aid in breathing and to keep their airways open.

They didn't need oxygen therapy, but many do after a bout with pneumonia.

Pneumonia is very serious, not just a simple cough or cold. It can easily kill someone who is old and frail or just in poor health for whatever reason. The recovery takes a LONG time, and makes them susceptible to everything new coming along, since their body is working so hard to heal the lung tissue, and body in general.
#9 of 9 Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM

How old is your grandmother?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page