Texas and the Measles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just relocated to San Antonio. I was told that measles are really bad here. Is there any truth to this? For those of you living in this area, did you choose to give the measles vaccine. Generally I do not give my daughter vaccinations. But I was curious what others would have to say.

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenasMommy View Post
I just relocated to San Antonio. I was told that measles are really bad here. Is there any truth to this? For those of you living in this area, did you choose to give the measles vaccine. Generally I do not give my daughter vaccinations. But I was curious what others would have to say.
I lived in San Antonio over 5 years and I have not heard any such thing. Even if it were true, it would not concern me because I am not trying to avoid measles.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM

I lived in San Antonio for 3 years and never heard that either. I had two unvaxed kiddos at that time.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I live a few hours from San Antonio, but have not heard of measles in TX in the six years I've lived here.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Have you checked the MMWR? It should tell you how many cases in the state and if there is an 'outbreak' in the city.

Was it a Dr. that told you measles was 'really bad' there?

I just checked the MMWR - There have been 1 reported case of measles in the whole US so far for 2010. Maybe that one case was in Texas and maybe it was even in San Antonio...if it was, would you consider that really bad?

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5904md.htm

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Have you checked the MMWR? It should tell you how many cases in the state and if there is an 'outbreak' in the city.

Yeah, my sister (who has lived here for about 3 years) told me this is what two doctors had told her. Both are located in San Antonio. My first thought was this was just a line that they use. I checked the MMWR and found no reason to be alarmed. But I thought I'd ask ya'll what you thought. I love this board. Thank you ladies!

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post

I just checked the MMWR - There have been 1 reported case of measles in the whole US so far for 2010. Maybe that one case was in Texas and maybe it was even in San Antonio...if it was, would you consider that really bad?

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5904md.htm
wow, no.. I would not consider that really bad. Especially since the measles usually are not that bad to begin with (yes, it can be.. rarely). I really appreciate your help with this. I hope I can find a doctor who is ok with my vaccine choices.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Back a few years- 2006 or 7- there was a sports tournament that had measles spread which I think started in a Japanese team and spread around from there; many of the cases were in Texas I think, so that might be what she is thinking of...but, again, this was back a few years.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
Old 02-08-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenasMommy View Post
wow, no.. I would not consider that really bad. Especially since the measles usually are not that bad to begin with (yes, it can be.. rarely). I really appreciate your help with this. I hope I can find a doctor who is ok with my vaccine choices.
You can ask on the Texas tribe board.

Dr. McMains supports parental choice and does not harass non-vaxing parents; also, there is North Hills Family Medicine. Both are close to the intersection of 1604 and 281.

Corpus Christi had relatively large outbreaks in '85 and '92; the Japanese baseball player was "credited" with infecting 6 people directly or indirectly.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm in Austin and have been for the past three years. I have yet to hear anything about anyone getting the measles.

User Tag List